Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2019, 09:48 AM

3 posts, read 3,645 times

Advertisements

tus

1 posts

Hello,
My boyfriend and I are currently living in Wisconsin, and have been thinking of moving to the Arizona, more so the Phoenix or Mesa area because we have some friends in those areas. We are sick of the winter weather in Wisconsin, it last way too long!! Anyways, I have a degree in social work and he has worked in construction for many years. We have been setting some money aside for the possible move, but i just want some input from other people who have moved to the Arizona area. How much do you think we should have saved before moving? Is the job market good? Ive looked at some jobs on indeed, but would like to also hear from those living and working in these areas. What are some good places to look for housing(we want to rent an apartment)? I am also at this moment looking at nursing schools! I know that I'd have to live in Arizona for a year before i can get in state tuition, but does anyone know of any schools in Arizona that have a nursing program with lower out of state tuition cost or has the same cost for out of state/ in state tuition? I have two more prerequisites to get done so it's not that big of a deal to wait a year.*
I know this is a lot, but i really want to hear people's advice! Thank you in advance from a wisconsinite that is over elsa's snowy grip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 11:01 AM

843 posts, read 564,235 times
If you plan on working as a Social Worker, you need to pass the licensing exam for the state of AZ. My wife has a MSW and went through this process even though she was licensed in another state. The MSW job market is good, but you won't find many places if any that don't require a license and the exam is not easy. You probably should consider taking some prep exams/courses. But you sound like a career change is imminent. Not sure about nursing schools or jobs...

And the one year residency requirement for in-state tuition is not entirely true. At one time I was under this impression as well, but when my wife moved to AZ my daughter only paid out-of-state tuition for one semester at ASU. After we submitted the required proof of residency near the end of her first term of her freshman year (about 5-6 months after moving) she was granted in-state tuition beginning immediately for the 2nd term at ASU. I don't think there is an exact waiting period - you just need to establish enough evidence that you have actually "moved" to AZ, which can be done in less than a year.

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 02-28-2019 at 12:21 PM..

Old 03-01-2019, 05:31 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
Both of you are educated and have career skills in demand, so I wouldn't worry that you won't find a job here. In the heat of summer, your BF will probably be working from 4:30am to 2:00--it's just too dreadfully hot later in the day.

Your friends out here can probably give you a lot of information on where to live, etc.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:27 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,008 times
It sounds like as long as the economy stays okay you should be fine- lots of people from WI move to AZ- loads of Packers fans in AZ- you might find these links of interest
scroll down for the packers bars
https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...eam/626710001/
wi alum in phoenix (even if u went to another college you can probably post on their FB page for advice)
https://www.facebook.com/phxbadgers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area