Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 05:19 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
We did?
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ires/70753506/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 06:04 PM

125 posts, read 104,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
Arizona Costco's are in the San Diego buying region. Different parts of the US will have different buying regions.

Avondale does carry the bone broth. I shop there, and bought some about 2 weeks ago. They could just be out.

Scottsdale and Paradise Valley have more high end items based on the area and clientele.

Generally though, every location in the Phoenix valley area will carry the same items give or take a few. Some will have different "road shows" and will carry those different items.

There will be a new Costco warehouse opening in April 2020 in Surprise off the loop 303. That should help with Avondale and Glendale's overcrowding.

My suggestion is to utilize the comment cards located in or near member services to request the items you are looking for. If there is a certain item you are looking for you can have an employee at member services look it up for you as well. They can tell you if Costco carries it and what locations.

I shop Avondale between 1pm and 2pm. I can get in and out and I usually push my cart right up to check out and not have to wait in line. But don't tell anyone so the secret gets out
I'm curious as to where you got the news of Costco opening in Surprise near Loop 303 in 2020. I've looked at a few sites and have not seen anything official stated publicly.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:18 PM

743 posts, read 875,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarriors79 View Post
I'm curious as to where you got the news of Costco opening in Surprise near Loop 303 in 2020. I've looked at a few sites and have not seen anything official stated publicly.
My husband is high up the food chain with Costco and met with the real estate team from Costco in Nov. It was also mentioned in the Az Republic Surprise insert. And contrary to that article, Costco has their own real estate team, not an outside group as the article mentioned, just an FYI if you read it.

The Costco Surprise location was set to go in 2008, and then 2008 happened so they shelved it.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:35 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
someone told me they are also building one on Happy Valley Road near the 303...

Old 03-23-2019, 06:47 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
We go either to 19th Ave & Montebello or 44th St & Oak. They're both about the same, no complaints.

Btw, I've never been there, but I'm sure the ones in Scottsdale are the best. All the free sample stands probably give out caviar, filet mignon and champagne (jk)! Haha
Actually, you'd be right about the champagne...

Suffice to say, the Scottsdale store is a different critter. I've been a longtime Costco shopper and shareholder and even I'm surprised (in a pleasant way) how each store, even within the confines of the format, tailors itself to its surrounding market. It's a remarkably savvy and well run company.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:39 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
The best Costco is the one my wife goes to, because she does the shopping and I don't have to step foot in it

Old 03-23-2019, 11:24 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
The best Costco is the one my wife goes to, because she does the shopping and I don't have to step foot in it
I actually like going to Costco with my wife. Lots of cool/good stuff to check out in Costco.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:19 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
This is not correct. Every region has it's own buying office so items will vary.
Agreed. As you know more than anyone on this thread, they do vary. My point was smaller Costco's (like the one I go to in Brainard, MN https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowCnoECBAQBg is much smaller and has limited items because of the square footage. When you go West to something like Arrowhead, the stores are bigger and have more selections. So something like bone broth may not be in eastern regions and more prevalent here.

So while there is definitely differences, I see a lot of the same stuff that I buy. But sure, there are more patio items here than in MN. There are more water related items in MN than in AZ etc etc.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:33 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
There will be a new Costco warehouse opening in April 2020 in Surprise off the loop 303. That should help with Avondale and Glendale's overcrowding.
I heard for a while that they were coming. Hopefully that date sticks. It will take some of the pressure off of Arrowhead.

I predict that will put a world of hurt on Sam's on Bell. We reluctantly shop at Sam's in Surprise because it is so much closer. You can visit that store at peak times and they have some pretty low sales volume. While Arrowhead has a constant stream of people coming out the door, often Sam's has one person deep at the food court and maybe 3 people tops in line to have your cart checked. They have to be bleeding $$'s. I'm there at least a couple times a week. PEAK PEAK PEAK would be like the slowest time possible at Arrowhead.

As you know, Sam's had many stores close in 2018. Rumor has it there are more to follow in 2019 https://www.thelayoff.com/t/VT4hRb9 . Their sales volume is so low that I need to be very careful and look at the expiration dates for things like produce and sliced meats. Often, you see strawberries and other perishables up front by the TV's to gain more exposure. Mark my words, the Surprise Costco location will eventually run that Surprise Sam's location out of business.

Ask your hubby what he thinks the break even store sale volume is on the Sam's in Surprise. When you return an item, they often try to give store plastic credit cards. If you don't have a receipt and they look you up in the system, the store refuses to give a credit to your card. Never mind they can see that you bought it on the system (they have a closed loop feedback system on purchases). Hence I'm a Costco bigot and won't care if that Sam's Club goes under. I know I'm not alone in my thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area