Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:30 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times

Advertisements

I live in Goodyear and the Costco in Avondale sucks. We've shopped at Costco for 20+ years and the one in Avondale that we normally go to doesn't carry some things we like. Looking for a Costco that has a bit more variety. I wonder if this Costco caters more towards the hispanic market?

We eat keto and the Avondale Costco doesn't have many of the things I read about that others get at Costco for keto living. We can't get bone broth at this costco but have got it in other cities. Can't find other keto friendly products like salad dressing, mayo, etc.

Anyone know which Costco in the valley has the best variety of products? West Valley would be great but willing to travel further if necessary.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by LBTRS; 03-19-2019 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 09:40 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,173,480 times
I have been to nearly every Costco in the valley. The one in Glendale near Arrowhead Mall is big and carries a lot of stuff. Also, the one in Scottsdale on Hayden Rd is a larger store. But a word of caution, both stores are incredibly crowded all the time. I generally avoid them because it is such a hassle to shop there.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:55 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
The best time to shop the Hayden Rd. Costco is within an hour of closing. Otherwise, you’ll have to park far from the entrance. Shoppers seem to be mostly retirees.

I also like the one at Cave Creek Road and East Beardsley, next to 101.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:08 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
I have been to nearly every Costco in the valley. The one in Glendale near Arrowhead Mall is big and carries a lot of stuff. Also, the one in Scottsdale on Hayden Rd is a larger store. But a word of caution, both stores are incredibly crowded all the time. I generally avoid them because it is such a hassle to shop there.
I don't know which Costco's carries more ketogenic dietary items, but your Arrowhead recommendation is a very high volume Costco of at least double the average $178M sales volume store. Generally speaking, the farther west in the USA that you go, the bigger and better the selection. So to the op, I'd expect PHX area locations to have pretty much everything another store around the country might have. But Costco's in OR, SLC and WA tend to be larger. I'm a Costco bigot because of the caliber of the employees, generous return policy, and stringent standards for vendors to get their items in their door. I'll admit that I enjoy seeing the different regional stores because they do carry slightly different items.

At Arrowhead and at least in the winter months, there is a line at the front door before they open up of about 50 people. It is a common practice for them to open up 15 minutes early before the published opening times of 10AM. So if a customer wants to beat the crowds, arrive at 9:45 am. But as you say, normally expect clogged isles of slow seniors and a full parking lot.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:24 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
At Arrowhead and at least in the winter months, there is a line at the front door before they open up of about 50 people. It is a common practice for them to open up 15 minutes early before the published opening times of 10AM. So if a customer wants to beat the crowds, arrive at 9:45 am. But as you say, normally expect clogged isles of slow seniors and a full parking lot.
I was here yesterday, and, its still clogged with many old geezers, but, usually, by April 15 or so, they all go back to their blue hair home base, east of the Mississippi, and it gets much better to go there..and, yes, they have several keto type products there, I saw some yesterday..

Old 03-20-2019, 09:04 AM

246 posts, read 400,829 times
We go to a handful of Costcos in the central and east valley. We have a few things we get that certain stores carry, while other stores don't. I've been told by Costco employees that the reason for this is that certain products sell better in certain stores than others and thus a store won't carry a certain product if it doesn't sell well there, while another store will stock that product because it sells well there. And then there are occasions where something we've been buying goes out of stock and sometimes it's temporary and sometimes they just have stopped carrying a product.

Also, we at times will go to the business Costco at Indian School and 33rd Avenue, and they have a lot of different stuff, mostly geared toward restaurants, but still and lot of bulk food items and we have a handful of things that we get there that aren't sold at the regular Costcos.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:43 PM

743 posts, read 875,708 times
Arizona Costco's are in the San Diego buying region. Different parts of the US will have different buying regions.

Avondale does carry the bone broth. I shop there, and bought some about 2 weeks ago. They could just be out.

Scottsdale and Paradise Valley have more high end items based on the area and clientele.

Generally though, every location in the Phoenix valley area will carry the same items give or take a few. Some will have different "road shows" and will carry those different items.

There will be a new Costco warehouse opening in April 2020 in Surprise off the loop 303. That should help with Avondale and Glendale's overcrowding.

My suggestion is to utilize the comment cards located in or near member services to request the items you are looking for. If there is a certain item you are looking for you can have an employee at member services look it up for you as well. They can tell you if Costco carries it and what locations.

I shop Avondale between 1pm and 2pm. I can get in and out and I usually push my cart right up to check out and not have to wait in line. But don't tell anyone so the secret gets out

Old 03-20-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I don't know which Costco's carries more ketogenic dietary items, but your Arrowhead recommendation is a very high volume Costco of at least double the average $178M sales volume store. Generally speaking, the farther west in the USA that you go, the bigger and better the selection. So to the op, I'd expect PHX area locations to have pretty much everything another store around the country might have. But Costco's in OR, SLC and WA tend to be larger. I'm a Costco bigot because of the caliber of the employees, generous return policy, and stringent standards for vendors to get their items in their door. I'll admit that I enjoy seeing the different regional stores because they do carry slightly different items.

This is not correct. Every region has it's own buying office so items will vary.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgray9 View Post
We go to a handful of Costcos in the central and east valley. We have a few things we get that certain stores carry, while other stores don't. I've been told by Costco employees that the reason for this is that certain products sell better in certain stores than others and thus a store won't carry a certain product if it doesn't sell well there, while another store will stock that product because it sells well there. And then there are occasions where something we've been buying goes out of stock and sometimes it's temporary and sometimes they just have stopped carrying a product.

Also, we at times will go to the business Costco at Indian School and 33rd Avenue, and they have a lot of different stuff, mostly geared toward restaurants, but still and lot of bulk food items and we have a handful of things that we get there that aren't sold at the regular Costcos.
LOVE the Costco Business Center! Anyone visiting for the first time should note that:

They don't have a food court, pet foods, alcohol, clothes/books/dvds etc, and no food sample vendors.

The gas prices are the cheapest in the valley.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:19 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times
Thanks everyone, appreciate the input. We're going to take a trip to the Glendale location on Saturday and see if it is any different.

My wife says we have bought bone broth at the Avondale location but could not find it this time and the employee we asked didn't seem to know what we were talking about.

I'll report after our trip to Glendale this weekend. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area