Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 06:41 PM

2,380 posts, read 2,714,341 times

Advertisements

And it is:

Arizona education scrapes the bottom ranks in the nation
https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2018/...ets-low-grade/

Well, I just found out that the ASU library has eliminated its traditional reference desk - you know, the place where you could seek a librarian to point out the best references for you, or call to get a quick question answered. They are so uninterested in actual interaction that you can now only contact them online. In fact, the ASU switchboard didn't even have their correct telephone number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 08:00 AM

3,695 posts, read 2,416,968 times
Cheap and stupid?

Old 03-23-2019, 08:17 AM

566 posts, read 574,110 times
They gave teachers a "raise" which consisted of increasing class sizes in my kids' school to a ridiculous number. That's not a raise. My 5th grader has 36 kids in his class and the Kindergartens have 29 and we are a highly rated school. Number one way to fail children is to have no cap on class sizes.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:17 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Well, I just found out that the ASU library has eliminated its traditional reference desk - you know, the place where you could seek a librarian to point out the best references for you, or call to get a quick question answered. They are so uninterested in actual interaction that you can now only contact them online. In fact, the ASU switchboard didn't even have their correct telephone number.
It's expensive to have a human being sitting there to answer questions that everyone else is just looking up on the Internet.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:49 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
I haven't been to the library in 15 years. IMO as a country, we have way too many libraries.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:53 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I haven't been to the library in 15 years. IMO as a country, we have way too many libraries.
Totally agree. And the way people are educated has totally changed from a couple of decades ago. Once kids can look things up on the Internet I’m sorry but teaching just isn’t as important. Plus it’s a supply and demand thing. Little correlation between teacher salaries and academic performance. True, more affluent school district can pay teachers more but those kids would do well anyway. Parenting is where it’s at.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:22 AM

13,762 posts, read 8,014,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Totally agree. And the way people are educated has totally changed from a couple of decades ago. Once kids can look things up on the Internet I’m sorry but teaching just isn’t as important. Plus it’s a supply and demand thing. Little correlation between teacher salaries and academic performance. True, more affluent school district can pay teachers more but those kids would do well anyway. Parenting is where it’s at.

True and many schools in Gilbert and Chandler for example are quite good.

My mother taught in the San Francisco school district for 30 years and when the refugees arrived from Southeast Asia they lived in public housing. They were largely uneducated and spoke no English. However, they understood the importance of education and showed up to parent/teacher conferences to monitor their children progress. Such kids flourished regardless of how poor the overall test scores were in a particular district.

Education almost always begins at home. If it's not valued there's not much a teacher can do as my sister who teaches in the Dallas public school system could tell you.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:35 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
And it is:

Arizona education scrapes the bottom ranks in the nation
https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2018/...ets-low-grade/

The entire ASU library is cataloged and available online. The building is just a formality these days. You can also live chat if you need something so who needs a reference librarian in person anyway?

And what does that have to do with AZs K-12 woes? ASU is a pretty decent University these days.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:13 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
You want motivated teachers. If you underpay a teachers and screw with their wages, they are human and they won't be too motivated. In order to get brighter, more passionate teachers, you need to pay more than AZ wages. So it would be like saying that how much you pay and engineer or mechanic or _________ doesn't correlate to their overall performance.

That all said, the reason you don't see a correlation with teacher salaries and academic performance is because too many kids "coast". As you said, THE #1 reason better test scores happen because it starts at home (expectations, parents who work with their kids at home, etc).

Also, often the highest paid teachers are in districts where teachers don't want to work. As in the hoods. Those are also locations where they spend the highest $$ per pupil. MPLS inner cities for example spend $8K more per student that a good burb (i.e. they spend around $20K per kid). Teacher wages are part of the reasoning BUT they produce terrible results. It's why you will never get an accurate correlation of wages or $$'s spent in the classroom in comparison to performance. Let's agree. If you spend $40K per kid per year, it won't help in the wrong district of kid. You would basically have to hire a new parent to get results. lol

My point is as follows. IF you spend more money on students and more $$ on teachers and IF you have motivated students (a BIG "if"), you will get smarter students. Because the law of economics don't stop working with K-12.

But if I don't toss out the outliers, I can "prove" to you that the more you spend, the worse the results. I would simply compare a catholic private school ($5K per student) versus an inner city school (at $22K per kid) and show you that spending less money gets you better. If I was stupid enough to propose that, you should give me one of these . Therefore, people who want to prove their point that spending more == no better results leave in the MASSIVE outlier called baby-sitting districts that skew the results. An honest debate should be only spend more when families or students prove they are trying; else it is a waste.

All I can say is I'm glad I sent our kids to a district that was well funded full of motivated teachers. So while 35% didn't pass minimum standards, our kids were in the top tier of performers on a national level. I'm convinced going to a well funded district for our family helped. To tie it into the thread, our kids never went to the library. That's old school.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:19 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,363,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
God, I am glad that you are not my parent growing up. Libraries are still an area of adventure and discovery, and while there is the internet, there is a world of books which helps with reading comprehension, Libraries in the Midwest and East thrive; education has a place and libraries aid in that education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area