Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 10:37 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaburger View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided to book a rental car. I’m surprised most people are against the tours though. Is it a really boring city?
I like trying restaurants. Favorite type of food is BBQ. I also like hiking, swimming, science centers, and bargain shopping. Any recommendations for me to see?
Boring? Where’d you get that?

You can do everything a tour does by driving a car. It’s not like NYC or LA where driving is high stress for tourists. It’s very easy to get around here so it’s advantageous to do your own tour. Maybe you could take their stops, then make a big route on google maps.

Generally Little Miss BBQ is the leading BBQ restaurant in Phoenix.

Hiking: South Mountain or Camelback are the big ones

Swimming: almost anywhere

Science Center: there’s one downtown

Bargain shopping: Vague, but we have decent swap meets and Mexican stores (which have cheap everything)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 10:49 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
For cheap shopping we also have several outlet malls.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:26 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,738,502 times
I don't totally disagree that a self-tour isn't possible but I've personally enjoyed all tours I've been on here, I don't think most people that live here have much sense of the history or hidden gems around the city. Just ask people you meet to name Phoenix's castles, ask what you'd find in downtown's most famous basement, what is the most haunted building in the city, where was the opening scene of Psycho filmed, where to find the best murals, etc...

Anyway, we've gone on a few tours for work with visitors and I've been pleasantly surprised every time learning things I never knew about places I drive by every day... The rates are pretty reasonable and there's more history here than most people know.

The good news, as others of mentioned, we aren't NYC so that means the tours are much more reasonable. For example, the PHX rising ghost tour is $15. https://phxtours.com/ghost-tour

And the trolley tour is $35, but it does require a group so you'll have to check to see if they're running one while you're here. https://phxtours.com/trolley

Also, if you like beers this is a good one. Arizona Brewery Tours - Phoenix Area Brewery Tours

I also highly suggest you get out and see the desert as well, be it a hot air balloon tour, a horeback tour, atv or other.
https://www.saguarolakeranchstable.c...l-rides-rates/

Old 04-06-2019, 05:26 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,106 times
If you're looking at relocating here, I'd spend the day just driving around the metro. Check out the various downtowns, major subdivisions that are frequently metioned here, etc.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:54 AM

461 posts, read 667,251 times
I am relocating to Phoenix from San Diego and I think the tour is a good idea. We had a family reunion a few years and booked a bus tour for the out-of-towers. I took the tour and despite living here all my life there were things I learned.

Check for meet-up groups in the PHX area for hiking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: