Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 10:59 AM

11 posts, read 9,968 times

Advertisements

I’m visiting Phoenix (and the surrounding areas) soon because I am giving serious thought about relocating. The trip is already booked for the end of April. I will only have Saturday to go on the tours! Flying in Friday night and flying out Sunday morning (I wish it could be longer but I’m on a tight schedule). I have done some light research and found 2 tours that interest me:

1. Phoenix/Scottsdale highlights tour:
Embark on an exciting half-day excursion into the beautiful Valley of the Sun, nestled in the colorful Sonora Desert, and see all the major sights throughout the Phoenix area. This trip takes you on a journey through the past, present, and future of the 5th-largest city in the United States.
Start in downtown Phoenix and see city landmarks like the Talking Stick Resort Arena, home of the Phoenix Suns, and Chase Field, where the Arizona Diamondbacks play. Visit the Arizona State Capitol before driving through Scottsdale's Old Town and Fifth Avenue areas, with their multitude of galleries and shops.
Spend some time at the renowned Heard Museum of Native American Culture and immerse yourself in the history of the Southwest's Native American tribes. Visit its gift shop and browse a variety of authentic, hand-crafted works of art.
Enjoy a drive through the striking scenery of the Sonora Desert, whose combination of terrain, climate, and plantlife is unlike any in the world. Despite its hot temperatures, plants thrive throughout the landscape—famous saguaro and prickly pear cacti, desert sunflowers, and evening primroses are just a few of the types of flora you may encounter. End your tour with hassle-free transportation back to your hotel.

We’ll visit five (5) or more locally-owned food stops, each providing a healthy portion of food and three (3) featuring a cocktail pairing.
In between stops, we’ll walk (about 1.5 miles total) around Downtown Phoenix or Old Town Scottsdale and your tour guide will point out all sorts of cool facts along the way.

What do you recommend?

Last edited by Pizzaburger; 04-01-2019 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Removed 3rd option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 11:03 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,453,077 times
It's not New York City. You don't really need a tour. You can just drive to all those listed places yourself. This is NOT a very difficult city to navigate thru.

But I guess if you really want to do a tour, just pick one and go. Go with which ever one has the highest Yelp rating.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:29 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,455,079 times
The first tour might involve a little walking downtown but would be accomplished mostly by chartered bus, I think. It's clearly designed for tourists who want a quick overview of some of the region's highlights.

The second is a walking tour designed for foodies, many of them locals who may not be familiar with the specific area covered. I've seen these in action. The guides give some good insights into the specific zones they cover, but the tour is deliberately limited in scope to one particular walkable urban district, either downtown Phoenix or Old Town Scottsdale.

Personally, I'd prefer the second because I like to try new food and I'd rather walk than sit in a bus (at least this time of year). Still, I don't think either would be particularly helpful in sizing up a place for possible relocation. Whatever time you don't spend on an organized tour should be spent exploring things of interest to you on your own terms.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:54 PM

640 posts, read 958,177 times
How much are they charging for these tours? I wouldn’t recommend either, do some research on things interesting to you and go to the places you specifically want to see.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:09 PM

Well, I could explore on my own but I don’t know where to start. I guess I would consider myself a foodie so that’s what drew me to the 2nd one. If I moved out there I would spend most of my free time hiking. I didn’t want to do that in the trip because I want to see more of the city side of things aka where I’ll be living, shopping, eating, etc. I don’t want to end up a lost clueless tourist in an unfriendly neighborhood.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:21 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaburger View Post
Well, I could explore on my own but I don’t know where to start. I guess I would consider myself a foodie so that’s what drew me to the 2nd one. If I moved out there I would spend most of my free time hiking. I didn’t want to do that in the trip because I want to see more of the city side of things aka where I’ll be living, shopping, eating, etc. I don’t want to end up a lost clueless tourist in an unfriendly neighborhood.
You’ll be in your car anyway. I wouldn’t worry about that frankly. This isn’t Cleveland

Old 04-01-2019, 02:41 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,701 times
Hi Pizzaburger --

Are you coming on your Phoenix visit alone? Just wondering, because booking a tour for two people is double the cost and may not be worth it. Are you planning to rent a car while here? Phoenix is fairly easy to get around and the roads are good and well-marked. I would probably just explore by myself.

Phoenix is a huge, sprawling city. But if you do relocate here, that does not mean you have to live out at the edge of the city. There are plenty of nice, centrally-located neighborhoods you can choose. The advantage of living in the center, more or less, is that if your first job does not work out, and you find a new job located in a different area, the commute will not be as extreme as driving from one end of the metro area to the other. And if you are renting, you always have the option of moving closer to your job at the end of your lease.

You still have plenty of time to read up on attraction and communities in the area. I would decide in advance what you would like to see, and plan your weekend accordingly. Yes, the time will go fast, but you will see what you want to see. One thing I would advise is to keep yourself well-hydrated. It is going to likely be hot and dry at the time you visit in late April. Every year we see hikers on the news who decide to go on a hike, not used to the climate, and they sometimes have problems on the trail and need to be rescued by the Fire Dept. Take plenty of water with you.

Phoenix has all the amenities you need to live, in all areas of the city. If you plan to have a job lined up when you move, then look for a rental just a short commute away. if you plan to look for a job and stay in an extended-stay motel while you secure employment, then plan accordingly.

I hope your trip turns out well and you enjoy yourself. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2019, 02:55 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,570,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
You’ll be in your car anyway. I wouldn’t worry about that frankly. This isn’t Cleveland
Something I'm thankful for everyday.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:30 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Phoenix has tours?

I'd do as others have said, explore on my own. Rent a car and visit the places listed in the first tour if you aren't sure where to start. I'd rather be out checking things out on my own than spending half a day in chartered bus on someone else's schedule.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:30 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided to book a rental car. I’m surprised most people are against the tours though. Is it a really boring city?
I like trying restaurants. Favorite type of food is BBQ. I also like hiking, swimming, science centers, and bargain shopping. Any recommendations for me to see?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: