Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 09:36 AM

990 posts, read 2,563,669 times

Advertisements

Governor Ducey is not saying that they can not come....

He is only saying that the residents of Arizona will not subsidize their outlandish anti U.S. behaviors.

Nike felt it was necessary for them to take a political stand.

Well, so does Governor Ducey.

Personally.... I applaud his decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 12:13 PM

7,834 posts, read 4,585,250 times
It was a monumentally stupid fight for Ducey to get into, let alone lose 500 jobs over.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:19 PM

13,941 posts, read 8,122,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
It was a monumentally stupid fight for Ducey to get into, let alone lose 500 jobs over.
Has this killed the Goodyear deal?

I read somewhere the mayor of Goodyear plans to fight for the deal.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:48 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,256,005 times
No one mentions what the state involvement even is. Everything I've read it seems to be mostly municipal.

Not to mention if agreements are signed there are a ton of potential legal issues.

It is what it is. The governor is term limited and looking at his next gig. Any comment he makes is there to serve himself and himself alone.

He's shacked up with companies that have put AZ residents at risk and has green lighted a lot of money on half baked schemes.

His outrage isn't genuine or consistent with his history.

As far as deals go thai involve public money this one was fairly well thought out.

The area could use 350-500 jobs that pay in the area of $43k for essentially blue collar labor. Good jobs with benefits that add to the tax base.

If anyone is concerned about the dwindling middle class, these are the type of jobs that stabilize. Solid income with no cost of entry.

No need for the governor to jeopardize that for self serving political grandstanding

Old 07-05-2019, 12:55 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,933,259 times
nothing is jeopardized, not sure what everyone is talking about..

Goodyear has their own deal with Nike, and it has nothing to do with Duceys remarks or statements..a multi billion dollar company like nike, who makes NOTHING in the USA, and is famous for abusing/child labor/ horrible working conditions all over the world, doesn't need a handout from Ducey to build a building in Good year; not sure why ANY state gives handouts to lousy corporate citizens like this, but, the city of Goodyear and Nike still seem to be going forward without the states un necessary handouts/tax breaks.

Old 07-05-2019, 01:41 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,326,712 times
I quit buying Nike way back when they endorsed Michael Vick (aka the dog killer) when he returned to the NFL, but I thought it was odd that the Governor announced this on social media at 2 AM. It almost feels like one of those reactive tweets Trump likes to do in the middle of the night. It didn't seem like a Dicey thing to do.

Regardless, hopefully the 500 proposed jobs can be saved.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:27 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,740,392 times
Betsy Ross Flag-false flag-guerilla marketing campaign.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:43 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,326,712 times
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...6XOydSKamIgaWY

Old 07-05-2019, 02:48 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,351,421 times
Add me to the - the State should have lived up to their word camp.

As others have said - I wish these incentives were not even offered. But over the years I have come to accept that this is the way the game is played, AS LONG as the INDEPENDENT auditors show the incentives will generate more tax revenues within a reasonable time frame as they will cost.

That said - if they are going to be offered - they should be offered strictly based on economic benefit - not politics.

The state is (via the AZ Commerce Authority) is also offering incentives to Lucid Motors here in Casa Grande. Many people felt that once the Saudi Investment Fund became involved that the city and the state should cancel the project. Especially when shortly afterwards all the journalist stuff came up. I disagreed with that too....

Cities and States are unlikely to resolve National or Global political issues - so if incentives are given - base them on local economics.

As for Nike - Boycott away! On a PERSONAL level.

I will add though I think it is Funny our Governor (who I support most of the time actually!) got caught wearing Nike shoes to a public event today though. BAD political instinct on that one!

Last edited by sh9730; 07-05-2019 at 03:03 PM..

Old 07-05-2019, 03:03 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,712,922 times
Who cares what Kapernick has to say about anything anyway?
He was useless when he played and got fired for his antics there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area