Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 06:08 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times

Advertisements

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ar/1640513001/

What are the general opinions about this? I don't personally agree with Nike's decision to halt the sneakers with the flag designs, but I also don't agree with Ducey's opinion that the company is not welcome here. This may just be a manufacturing center, but saying they're not welcome is the same as saying that additional jobs are not welcome. I'm really surprised at the Governor's reaction, especially since he is a businessman and knows the importance of additional business, even if he may not agree with some of their business decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 06:22 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Depending on the nature of the proposed "incentives" I may not care. Nike pulling a shoe because objections from an athlete that walked away from his playing contract is a dumb PR move but it's their dumb move to make.

Ducey, though, is just another blowhard pandering to the "Muh Flag" crowd. Pulling a shoe is a deal breaker but decades of operating sweatshops around the globe is just peachy.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:30 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
I'm split with the governor on this decision also. I applaud him for not approving an anti-American SJW company to setup shop here, but there shouldn't be incentives via the government to try luring or stimulate an economy either. Nike is still going to invest in the manufacturing plant for Goodyear, good for prospecting employees.

Either way, I'm boycotting Nike and there's plenty of other brands to chose from which I've already spent money on.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:38 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Depending on the nature of the proposed "incentives" I may not care. Nike pulling a shoe because objections from an athlete that walked away from his playing contract is a dumb PR move but it's their dumb move to make.
Exactly! It's called free enterprise. Lots of big companies have jumped on P.C. bandwagon lately, and we may not like or agree with their actions, but saying they're not welcome or we don't need them is a kneejerk reaction that could result in a major loss of economic benefits to the SW Valley.

Apple decided recently to get rid of their itunes feature, which I think is a horrible decision, but it was their bad decision. How stupid would it be for the CA Governor to say Apple is no longer welcome because they got rid of itunes? Completely different topic, but it amounts to the same thing: loss of jobs, loss of industry, loss of money.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:57 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,343 times
the polarizing nature of Colin Kapernick was probably an influential part of the Governators response..

Agree, its Nike's decision on who they use as an "influencer", or what they decide to make, but, I wouldnt take a Nike product for free if you gave it to me, so I dont care what they do or dont do..plenty of other choices out there, when it comes to overpriced, sports apparel..

Old 07-04-2019, 07:02 PM

1,336 posts, read 927,429 times
Honestly, I wish he hadn't waded into the cesspool that is CrapperSh*t, but OK, I support him sending this message.

Enough is enough.

I stopped buying all Nike. There is just as good or better to buy instead.
But Nike made a good decision. The SJW chumps of all colors are signalling their virtues via shoe swoosh now.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:42 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Ducey was supposed to announce the Goodyear deal on the same day that the flag brouhaha came up. He would have been embarrassed so he pulled the plug. Fortunately, Goodyear is still in on their part of the deal. The state will probably quietly get back in as well.

These firms walk a thin line in the social networks of today. Damned if you do damned if you don't. They have PR sections that evaluate everything and weigh the options. To say they are anti-American etc is just stupid nonsense. They are about making money, returning value to their shareholders. It's what they do and the decisions they make are the ones they think do that most effectively.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:35 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Exactly! It's called free enterprise. Lots of big companies have jumped on P.C. bandwagon lately, and we may not like or agree with their actions, but saying they're not welcome or we don't need them is a kneejerk reaction that could result in a major loss of economic benefits to the SW Valley.

Apple decided recently to get rid of their itunes feature, which I think is a horrible decision, but it was their bad decision. How stupid would it be for the CA Governor to say Apple is no longer welcome because they got rid of itunes? Completely different topic, but it amounts to the same thing: loss of jobs, loss of industry, loss of money.
Other politicians have done the same. Amazon in NY for example.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:48 AM

872 posts, read 999,367 times
I'm surprised more of this doesn't happen in states that are the opposite like CA, WA and OR. I know they called for boycotting Tennessee and other states who were striking down gay rights laws. Celebrities and other companies were highly against and even boycotted this state post SB1070.

Not only should we not allow them due to their cowering to K-nick and anti American nonsense, they also exploit workers overseas, which is widely known at this point.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:22 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ar/1640513001/

What are the general opinions about this?
Not a tough one, Valley . . .

I tossed all of my Nike gear when they announced they were supporting the "Kneel Crap Thugs" last year and will not purchased anymore.

Sad about the loss of jobs, however, I seriously doubt if many, if any at all, Nike shoes are manufactured in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area