Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:13 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide72 View Post
First thanks everyone for the help so far! I've been looking at the south mountain area, and I'm noticing (using Google maps) any bars/restaurants are all 15 mins away.

That would be a reason it's cheaper to live there!

Quote:
Thanks! Also as far as crime goes, I may not have a record but I'm not perfect so my neighborhood doesnt need to be either.. however nobody wants there house broken into so theirs a limit

What does that even mean???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 10:12 AM

720 posts, read 734,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I didn't say I wouldn't be there at night I said I wouldn't WALK around there at night, but there are many, many places in Phoenix that I wouldn't walk around at night but would still consider safe places to live. As far as areas to avoid it's tough to say as it's very block to block. Most areas south of baseline are nice as they are in close proximity to south mountain park and that seems to keep the property values up a bit. Best advice is to drive around and check out listings as far as judging the neighborhood. Really the only accurate way in my opinion.
This statement can be said about anywhere really - even in Fountain Hills with no lights - or any suburb for that matter - some pitch dark streets and while it may be "safe" from people harm - it doesn't feel good to walk and possibly come up to a coyote or ? whatever else lurks around at night -

Old 07-13-2019, 01:05 PM

50 posts, read 42,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
What does that even mean???
It means I dont need a perfect, new, overly quiet (or uptight) neighborhood..

Old 07-13-2019, 03:20 PM

770 posts, read 837,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Another vote for South Phoenix, and the Ahwatukee area. Both should be an easy commute to Tempe.
I was thinking of 24th st and Van Buren that was the article I read.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:51 AM

Ok this has been helpful. Big thing is hearing about the highways soon to be moving through south Phoenix which sould liven things up a bit!

Now, not to go to far down the rabbit hole here, but I feel like there will be some interesting input! Take my request of being in commuting distance of Tempe out of the equation. Where do you all feel is up and coming or under rated in the valley?

Old 07-14-2019, 07:16 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,451,894 times
Quote:
Ok this has been helpful. Big thing is hearing about the highways soon to be moving through south Phoenix which sould liven things up a bit!

Now, not to go to far down the rabbit hole here, but I feel like there will be some interesting input! Take my request of being in commuting distance of Tempe out of the equation. Where do you all feel is up and coming or under rated in the valley?
If you want it up and coming NOW then Eastlake and Garfield. If you want cheaper RE prices and want it to be up and coming in 5-10 years then I would say Central City South. You probably don't know what that is, but type it word for word into Google Maps to see.

That's my vote.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:59 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
First thanks everyone for the help so far! I've been looking at the south mountain area, and I'm noticing (using Google maps) any bars/restaurants are all 15 mins away. Is this area very secluded, or is Google maps failing me? Thanks! Also as far as crime goes, I may not have a record but I'm not perfect so my neighborhood doesnt need to be either.. however nobody wants there house broken into so theirs a limit
15 minutes away is close if you ask me! The valley is so massive that many things can be close to an hour away, so I consider anything under 30 minutes drive to be "not that far". 15 minutes is practically across the street!

Old 07-14-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
If you want it up and coming NOW then Eastlake and Garfield. If you want cheaper RE prices and want it to be up and coming in 5-10 years then I would say Central City South. You probably don't know what that is, but type it word for word into Google Maps to see.

That's my vote.
That has the benefit of currently being surrounded by freeway, so I'd assume getting around is easier than say south mountain?

Also seeing the 202 loop is supposedly gonna be done later this year, one would think itd also make south mountain more appealing given its name.. however it looks like it's pretty well south of the area so I'm not sure itll do much to bring in business

Old 07-14-2019, 11:34 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,451,894 times
Quote:
That has the benefit of currently being surrounded by freeway, so I'd assume getting around is easier than say south mountain?

Also seeing the 202 loop is supposedly gonna be done later this year, one would think itd also make south mountain more appealing given its name.. however it looks like it's pretty well south of the area so I'm not sure itll do much to bring in business
Regarding Central City South, yes it is easy to commute pretty much anywhere. It is one of the last areas that is so close to downtown that has not been gentrified yet. To be completely honest it's still the hood; and therefore still has cheap RE prices. I can't imagine any future in which hipsters DON'T start moving in and taking advantage of the ideal location and cheap housing and begin to slowly gentrify and drive up costs. Same for the Central Park neighborhood, directly East of Central City South.

The only parts of Central City South that may never gentrify are the two big housing projects, the Marcos de Niza PJ's and the Coffelt Jets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area