Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2019, 12:01 PM

1,227 posts, read 633,802 times

Advertisements

One time I saw a couple of snowbirds try to negotiate their grocery bill with a store manager. They felt they were over charged, turned out they bought 5 boxes of pancake mix that were not on sale, but they wanted the sale price, and get this... they also wanted the super market to store some of the pancake mix, as they didn't have enough room in their RV for all the boxes of pancake mix. True story.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 01:26 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
Geez...we weren't talking about illegal immigration...the question was about Snowbirds.

Answer to that is it is a love/hate relationship. They bring lots of business in the winter...and that is great but like anywhere that has a large tourism industry, it pisses some of the locals off that everything gets crowded and more expensive. Traffic gets worse, stores are worse, doctors' office visits are worse...you get the picture. You combine that with the number of ASU students that return in the fall and the regular tourists it can get pretty bad. I, for one, do look forward to Easter when they all start migrating back North.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:15 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
remember, a big part of what keeps the COL in Arizona tolerable, is the millions and millions the blue hair geezers spend here from November, through April..

I agree the traffic sucks often during that period, it can be tough to get into certain restaurants/medical facilities, etc too.

for us, we just try to avoid certain areas at certain times, or certain days, if possible...otherwise, you just have to suck it up, and remember they will be gone in Early April..

We get to enjoy this great state 12 months a year, they don't

Old 08-07-2019, 02:35 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Sure, I like them just fine. They go great with ketchup and fries on the side.

Beat me to it lol but don't forget the nice bottle of chianti

Old 08-07-2019, 02:41 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,915 times
The WWII era snowbirds probably kept the rest of Arizona outside of Maricopa County afloat through the 90's. When I first got stationed in Yuma in 1995, half the businesses would just board up over the summer, and the city council wouldn't hold any sessions because half of them were back home in Minnesota or Montana.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:10 PM

656 posts, read 813,821 times
I love all the low-slung luxury sedans going 45 in the fast lane.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:49 AM

872 posts, read 999,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Geez...we weren't talking about illegal immigration...the question was about Snowbirds.

Answer to that is it is a love/hate relationship. They bring lots of business in the winter...and that is great but like anywhere that has a large tourism industry, it pisses some of the locals off that everything gets crowded and more expensive. Traffic gets worse, stores are worse, doctors' office visits are worse...you get the picture. You combine that with the number of ASU students that return in the fall and the regular tourists it can get pretty bad. I, for one, do look forward to Easter when they all start migrating back North.
It was a joke but I guess they can't take it here oh well

Traffic is up again due to school and buses everywhere already. Now add winter vistiors who are, by the way, coming earlier and staying later or just staying all year now.

It's quite interesting to see some communities like Quartzite and even neighborhoods around the valley turn from a ghost town to a bustling town/neighborhood.

Take advantage of cheap hotel prices and golf prices now!!

Old 08-11-2019, 01:20 AM

2,140 posts, read 362,333 times
I had no idea there are people who don’t like snowbirds.

I don’t really understand what that means other than disliking older people just because they’re old. They’re as varied in thought, energy, integrity, personality as any age group.

That said, many do like to live in communities/neighborhoods with others in their age group - in my experience.

I live in a 55+ plus community (I’m 56) not by choice, but it was all I could afford. I love it here - except for being ideologically/politically/theologically opposite of almost everyone else. But it doesn’t come up. I have difficulties with PTSD (among other physical/mental struggles), so that combined with being a fish out of water and having people leave for 4-6 months I’m pretty isolated (no car) - age having nothing to do with it. Other than loneliness, I love it here.

Snowbird “traffic” is a problem? How? Yes, older folks tend to drive more slowly than younger people. And that can be inconvenient/potentially unsafe hazard on major highways. As is speeding. Aggressive driving, etc.

No traffic around here - ever. Traffic in Phoenix in my almost 15 years here is caused by rush hour that can last for three ours twice a day going to and from work - even with expanded highways, the rampant, speed-of-light development, the growth far outpaced infrastructure construction to handle the number of folks on the road.

As another poster said, snowbirds are no different from full-time retirees. So?

Older folks (in my experience) are awesome neighbors.

When the snowbirds leave, It’s even more quiet and peaceful, if I go to Safeway quite early or after dark, I basically have the store to myself. Even so, it’s never crowded. Everyone is polite, usually friendly.

When it gets cool everyone has a dog or two or three, well socialized, well mannered happy dogs. People here know each other through their dogs. It’s lovely.

What do snowbirds do that anyone could dislike them as a group... because they take a long vacation? What? Many are residents of AZ, their “primary” residence here - and they leave to avoid the summer heat. They aren’t all out of towners. In fact, if they own and live in a home or condo here but for 4-6 months a year, they’re locals. They’re Arizonans as I see it.

With random hereditary luck and more luck, hopefully everyone will be old someday. If they can afford two homes to enjoy good weather year round, more power to them.

I think a small number of people don’t see older folks as - well, people almost. That makes me sad. Happily many/most of the comments I read here find snowbirds to be a positive thing! Whether they’ve lived in AZ for decades or not. : )

Last edited by paperwing; 08-11-2019 at 01:28 AM.. Reason: Forgot something

Old 08-11-2019, 03:09 AM

2,140 posts, read 362,333 times
Default That’s all you’ve got? : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
One time I saw a couple of snowbirds try to negotiate their grocery bill with a store manager. They felt they were over charged, turned out they bought 5 boxes of pancake mix that were not on sale, but they wanted the sale price, and get this... they also wanted the super market to store some of the pancake mix, as they didn't have enough room in their RV for all the boxes of pancake mix. True story.
I’m sorry, this is long, but I can’t sleep and it struck a nerve somehow. I’m posting it. Probably too long for most. Gotta learn how to streamline. My apologies.

It’s a goofy story, so I get why you found it odd. How do you know they were snowbirds? The RV?

I’m only 56, and the cost of things sometimes seem alarming all of a sudden. I get confused easily - took a few hours to get a new phone yesterday - my memory is shot. Even though I try to be on alert, and even so, throughout the call and exhausting long periods on hold, the prices would be slightly higher, the specifics would change. I think it’s deliberately confusing so people just give in. I called back and got the original price I’d agreed to. Several hours to buy a $200 phone with their service, and have my data and phone number switch to the new phone. It was exhausting and confusing and stupidly complex.

There is also the possibility they lived through the depression - scarred a lot of people.

My granddad and grandmother lived in a tiny trailer. They both worked for a traveling circus. Granddad, with an engineering degree, shoveled large animal poop all day.

Grandma stole an onion so the meager grub they had for dinner every night would have a hint of flavor - she never lost the guilt. They may be far poorer than they appear. Aging brains change.

My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 6-7 years ago, it was mild for a while - she could function and she tried to hide it. But the AD and the gradual onset of mild dementia can alter behavior, mood, increase confusion. She would seem normal, and then she wasn’t. It was the disease. Age-related dementia can be similar.

If they asked the store to set aside some boxes, maybe they lived full time in the RV. Maybe they were scammed out of savings. The scammers prey on the elderly ~because~ they might be confused, take the fake threats seriously, because of where I live, I get up to 15 calls a day. “Is Samantha there?” (Nope) “well then maybe you can help me.” That’s a new one - they often seek a donation pledge for an imaginary cause anyone would support, just to get CC info and more. I’ve been asked to give $40, $60 or $80 pledge for MS (they didn’t care that the person they asked for wasn’t here because that was a ruse to guilt the caller (me - well, not me, but whoever answers). I got her to “confirm” my address and said (actually outright lied) I’d donate whatever amount I chose. Then asked for the name and website of the organization... *click*! Of course.

They call saying my credit card reaching some deadline that will cost me or have it canceled. I don’t have a credit card.

Older people are bombarded with this - it can make someone older and alone panic. It can have an effect. Older folks, especially women, are constantly worried because they barely have enough to get by, or don’t have enough to get by. They may have a home - appearances can be deceiving.

I used way too many words to say - who knows why they did what they did? For me, the most unlikely answer would be that they were being belligerent just for kicks or trying to scam the store. Or maybe they were because they were desperate? I imagine the best sale price for pancake mix would be buy 1 get 1 free. So for 5 boxes, costing maybe $3-4 a box? So all that to save about $5? On pancake mix? It doesn’t make sense, so I doubt they were rude or trying to deceive - unless they were starving, perhaps. Why hoard pancake mix? Maybe they didn’t have a fridge. Maybe they needed the sale price and pancakes would fill them up.

These are scary times for older folks. I used to get annoyed with slow drivers and elderly check writers, etc., then one morning I found my dad dead in bed. I couldn’t function, shouldn’t have driven (I had to), and ended up being the obnoxious, slow, disorganized, unintentionally rude person in the grocery line. We never know what people are dealing with. That experience was a gift. I don’t assume I know why a stranger is being disruptive. Because I don’t know. Nor does anyone else. Compassion is far less stressful than anger, I’ve found. Last thing I need is more stress. : )

Some may be jerks or annoying deliberately - such behavior is seen in people of all ages, so I don’t get why the couple’s age is a factor - except if tied to confusion/poverty/pain, disease.

Curious story, that’s for sure.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:55 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
remember, a big part of what keeps the COL in Arizona tolerable, is the millions and millions the blue hair geezers spend here from November, through April..
I'll have to keep the "blue hair" in mind next time I get my hair done! LOL So far, this "geezer" is sticking with blonde.

Re: the topic of the thread, I don't sense the level of resentment toward snowbirds in Arizona compared to Florida. I think Florida is a lot more overcrowded in many areas, and the cost of living has increased exponentially in the recent decade, partly due to retirees flocking there for all or part of the year and raising real estate values. AZ doesn't seem to have the same issues. Maybe I'm not correct on this, but anti-snowbird sentiment doesn't seem to be a big issue in AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area