Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 10:44 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,536,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
but anti-snowbird sentiment doesn't seem to be a big issue in AZ.

I'd agree

I do wish that they would plate the vehicles they leave here and have someone maintain
their yard while they are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 07:56 AM

179 posts, read 302,923 times
Lol. The only blue, pink, and green hair I see here and some major cities are young or still want to be young in their late thirties.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:15 PM

2,391 posts, read 2,733,156 times
I hope to like or dislike people as people, regardless of whether they're permanent or temporary.

However, with so much of Phoenix being inert and insular, it's nice to have fresh blood.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:14 PM

35 posts, read 32,868 times
Default Do any of you have good stories about snowbirds

I'm just curious I don't have any myself

Old 08-28-2019, 09:34 PM

26,258 posts, read 49,162,683 times
I have many nice friends in my community who are snowbirds and I'll be glad when they return so we can shoot some more 8-ball at the community center.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:50 PM

6,407 posts, read 9,012,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox1601 View Post
I'm just curious I don't have any myself
Thank you for this Pulitzer worthy critique of snowbirds.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:07 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,739,787 times
Mine just mailed me a check for this coming seasonal rental. Does that count?

Old 08-29-2019, 06:03 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,260,472 times
Not Phoenix..

We went to Lake Havasu for the first time about 10 years ago. It was around spring break and my two sons were with me and boys were thinking they are going to see lots of young ladies in bikinis.

Well. what they saw were a lot of seniors.

So.. on this trip, we all walked through the channel where the spring break young folks hang out. Young teenage boys were pretty pleased with what they saw.

Then a guy probably between 70 and 80 comes walking down the path wearing nothing but a tight revealing speedo and flip flops. Boys minds (and ours also) had to do a quick reset but its just hard to completely erase that image.

A friend from Tucson says that you can tell the tourist in the winter by shorts and open shoes. The guy we saw took the casual dressing WAY past that so I think its safe to say he was not a local.

** 70 to 80 is not that old really there. Lots of strong hikers there in the winter in that age group and even older.

Old 08-31-2019, 06:15 AM

656 posts, read 816,226 times
I've lived in the bittersweet circumstance of tourist towns all my life.

We all wish they would send their money, but remain home.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:04 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,633,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I'll have to keep the "blue hair" in mind next time I get my hair done! LOL So far, this "geezer" is sticking with blonde.

Re: the topic of the thread, I don't sense the level of resentment toward snowbirds in Arizona compared to Florida. I think Florida is a lot more overcrowded in many areas, and the cost of living has increased exponentially in the recent decade, partly due to retirees flocking there for all or part of the year and raising real estate values. AZ doesn't seem to have the same issues. Maybe I'm not correct on this, but anti-snowbird sentiment doesn't seem to be a big issue in AZ.
Real estate in FL tanked same time it tanked here. Part of the problem in FL is there is no income tax, so like TX, property taxes are ridiculous. Unlike Phoenix, the job market didn't rebound as well as the PHX job market has.

Also, snowbirds in FL come from different parts of the country than our snowbirds. When I lived on the east side of FL, most of our snowbirds were from NY, Toronto and Quebec. The Toronto snowbirds were great. The NY snowbirds, obnoxious, and the Quebec snowbirds insulting since many spoke French and expected the locals to understand them. Needless to say, many locals I knew didn't like the snowbird season. When I lived in Tampa and the panhandle, however, snowbirds were mostly from the midwest. Different breed and quite nice for the most part. I lived in a park with snowbirds and year-round residents. October was awesome, all your old friends were coming back and you couldn't wait to catch up. Then fast forward to April, when it was sad because it was time for your seasonal friends to go back home. Here, I seem to run into midwesterners and western Canadians (my favorite Canadians!). I like the PHX snowbirds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area