Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 11:09 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times

Advertisements

Looking for a little feedback. I have a small remodeling job. I called 8 contractors, only one bothered to return my call. The problem is he is pushing to do this without a permit. What is the benefit of a licensed contractor doing work without a city permit? It would be in writing that it is up to code.

It would only add 96 sq ft of living space. We basically have a small patio off the size of the house we want to go straight across with a large sliding glass door. So the door would go in and the small patio would be living space. The area is already under the roof and no load bearing walls are going to be removed.

I know it might cause a lot of issues if I try to sell, but we don't plan on going anywhere and of we do the 96 sq ft isn't going to make or break the home price if we leave it off.

Anyone have any experience with this? Should I continue my contractor search or pull the trigger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 12:37 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
It is hard to tell exactly but based on the description your patio is surrounded on 3 sides by the home? Is this the only patio or would you need to add another backyard space?

It needs electric and HVAC work done to be considered up to code living space. If it were me I'd want the existing stucco walls and cieling all removed, remove the insulation and redo the insulation.

The patio slab is sloped away from the house and lower than the rest of the house to drain rain water out or incase of a flood so it should at least be leveled but I'd want it brought up to the rest of the home. If you don't bring it up you need to also look at landscaping and drainage. You never want your structure to be near the ground so at the very least a stem wall should go in to lift the exterior walls, like what exterior garage walls sit on. If the existing landscaping is quite a bit lower and sloped away enough then you are probably fine but I don't really see that happen here in the valley.

That's a lot of faith you have in a complete stranger to not get permits.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:39 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,239 times
First of all, I'd make absolutely sure he is a licensed contractor. There shouldn't be any reason other than cost and time as to why he would have an issue with pulling a permit. Have him give you a copy of his license, his current bond and his insurance and I'd call each of those entities to make sure he is current. If he is not a licensed contractor, then all liabilities lie with you, the homeowner including liability if he gets hurt on your property.
I get so tired of contractors wanting full price for a job but not providing all that is required. Roofers are horrible about that. You hire a roofer for full price, he is licensed and bonded but the people actually doing the work are guys he grabbed off the street that aren't employees so they are NOT covered and again, the liability lies on the homeowner. These guys sit in the truck and watch the other guys work for peanuts.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:27 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
So, why don't you expend the time and energy to pull the permit ? Not pulling the permit will result in a fine (if you are caught) that is double the amount of the original permit (if it had been pulled). Why does he want to do it without a permit....to save his time (making the drawings required for pulling the permit, waiting for inspections)....time is money.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-26-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
So, why don't you expend the time and energy to pull the permit ? Not pulling the permit will result in a fine (if you are caught) that is double the amount of the original permit (if it had been pulled). Why does he want to do it without a permit....to save his time (making the drawings required for pulling the permit, waiting for inspections)....time is money.

Regards
Gemstone1
Hence my concern, he is either lazy or doesn't plan on doing it to code. I can't tell which one.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
It is hard to tell exactly but based on the description your patio is surrounded on 3 sides by the home? Is this the only patio or would you need to add another backyard space?

It needs electric and HVAC work done to be considered up to code living space. If it were me I'd want the existing stucco walls and cieling all removed, remove the insulation and redo the insulation.

The patio slab is sloped away from the house and lower than the rest of the house to drain rain water out or incase of a flood so it should at least be leveled but I'd want it brought up to the rest of the home. If you don't bring it up you need to also look at landscaping and drainage. You never want your structure to be near the ground so at the very least a stem wall should go in to lift the exterior walls, like what exterior garage walls sit on. If the existing landscaping is quite a bit lower and sloped away enough then you are probably fine but I don't really see that happen here in the valley.

That's a lot of faith you have in a complete stranger to not get permits.
His bid states he is going to do all that, I am just trying to figure his motive for no permit. He almost got frusterated when I mentioned I had to do a permit because my neighbor is on the HOA board and I got to get it done right. He said after I get my permit he would have to rebid because it would change the scope of the work, which doesn't make sense.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:46 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,521,984 times
I would find someone reputable.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:32 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
His bid states he is going to do all that, I am just trying to figure his motive for no permit. He almost got frusterated when I mentioned I had to do a permit because my neighbor is on the HOA board and I got to get it done right. He said after I get my permit he would have to rebid because it would change the scope of the work, which doesn't make sense.
He says that because he is a **** contractor.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:53 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:

If you want to save a bunch of money & still do the job right & properly permitted, you should hire your own engineer/architect to produce some drawings & then you can hire anyone to make the addition look like the prints. Lots of contractors can do work that is code-compliant, but most cant or won't jump through the hoops to get the drawings produced. The ones that can "do everything for you" will charge you accordingly, and then some.

Permits are no big deal if you have drawings - and if you do have closed (finished) permits and drawings it's a feature when you sell. Part of the permit process is both a site drawing & a floor plan - both docs can be scanned into a listing if you decide to sell later.

I did a ton of work to one of my homes in Phoenix without a permit & later decided to sell. To correct the pickle I put myself in, I had drawings made by an engineer I found on Craigslist & pulled retroactive permits. The city was awesome to deal with & approval was no big deal at all, but I had to peel back the drywall to show that my work matched the drawings.

If I had known how easy it was to pull the permits first, I'd have never went that way. There was no hours long wait at the permit counter, the inspectors weren't jerks, the costs of the permits wasnt excessive.. There really wasnt any reason to fear the permit process.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:04 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
If a permit will change the bid, he is obviously taking some shortcuts sans permit and with a permit it would cost more to do the work correctly. Run far away from this guy and find someone who will do it correctly.

I had a horrible experience with an "electrician" (I use the term loosely) who was going to upgrade my breaker box when I was installing a new pool pump. He was telling me how he could do it and when I questioned him he said "oh, well if you want it to CODE, then I would have to do it differently."

If nothing else, you want it done correctly now so that you don't run into issues later when you eventually go to sell your property. An inspection could show that the work was not up to code and you may have to redo it to sell the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: