Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 02:55 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,923,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Honestly, White Castle is considered junk food most won't eat in Chicago... I'm a Chicago native and I have no interest in going to one in Chicago or Arizona. Well I will go to ours here once, just to make sure it's the same stuff that greased me out in Chiraq.
Agree 1 million percent; the stuff is sewage, and I am embarrassed for my fellow Zonians who waited more than 10 seconds for this krap...do your stomach and digestive tract a favor and DON'T!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 05:04 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,993,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Agree 1 million percent; the stuff is sewage, and I am embarrassed for my fellow Zonians who waited more than 10 seconds for this krap...do your stomach and digestive tract a favor and DON'T!
Bah. You simply have a weak gut.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:31 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,923,056 times
actually not, I ate that stuff on and off for many years, and one day realized how horrible I felt almost every time after eating it, so, I went from a few times a month eating it, to maybe once a year; now, since they only have one location, and I would not wait 30 seconds for one, let alone 30 minutes, its just not in the cards. for me..
plus, I know many folks who feel the same..

I will admit, the aroma/ flavor they exude does make lots of unsuspecting patrons almost too weak to resist them; however, most people regret that decision after a few trips back..

to each his own, just beware, White Castle is no "in and out"/smash burger/insert other decent burger places here. competitor..

Old 11-16-2019, 06:23 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
I don't understand it yet why it took so long for White Castle to move westwards. When they opened up one on the Las Vegas Strip, the lines stretched for 2 long blocks. It was so popular, they then opened one up on Freemont Street in downtown Las Vegas. And given all the tourists that come to that city from the Midwest, I'm dumbstruck as to why it took so long! They really need to open up a couple more on the Strip.

I keep a big box of them in my freezer and when I want to take the edge off my hunger, I eat one, and they're always delicious. I really don't see the difference between the frozen burgers and they newly made burgers. They taste the same!

I just hope when they open one in Tucson, it's not downtown due to parking problems.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:42 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,993,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I don't understand it yet why it took so long for White Castle to move westwards. When they opened up one on the Las Vegas Strip, the lines stretched for 2 long blocks. It was so popular, they then opened one up on Freemont Street in downtown Las Vegas. And given all the tourists that come to that city from the Midwest, I'm dumbstruck as to why it took so long! They really need to open up a couple more on the Strip.

I keep a big box of them in my freezer and when I want to take the edge off my hunger, I eat one, and they're always delicious. I really don't see the difference between the frozen burgers and they newly made burgers. They taste the same!

I just hope when they open one in Tucson, it's not downtown due to parking problems.
For the same reasons In-N-Out hasn't expanded. It's a family owned business and the seek not too stray from the supply chain. White Castle made the jump to Vegas and it payed off. I was told about the Scottsdale expansion in December of '16 but was also told Florida would follow soon after. We'll see if that happens. Vegas has 2 locations now so I am hoping that means another in metro Phoenix too. I disagree, however, about the frozen variety. They never cook right in the microwave and I usually end up with hard spots in the bottom bun.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:14 PM

717 posts, read 1,059,033 times
When I was a kid my grandma used to buy the frozen microwave version and I always thought they were disgusting. Then in my late 20s I stopped at a real White Castle in the Midwest thinking the restaurant food must be better. It tasted exactly the same as the microwave version, if not worse. You couldn’t pay me to go back.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:34 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,571,164 times
Fitness for consumption and culinary appeal is directly proportional to one's blood-alcohol level.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:54 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,373,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
A neutral opinion on White Castle is hard to find. To say most in Chicago won't eat it is a stretch. I spent a decade in the suburbs of Chicago. White Castle was never far and they were never hurting for business. Sliders here are the same as elsewhere. Might be a bit sloppy as they're turning them over like no other White Castle does. Restaurant itself is the nicest White Castle I've been in and the first I've seen beer for sale.

I will admit, though, I don't understand the OP's comment as White Castle isn't synonymous with Chicago and there's more Castles per capita in Columbus and Detroit.
From Wisconsin. Lived in Chicago for about a year+. Most people out here associate it with Chicago. And so do all Chicago/Illinois people I've met.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:00 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,662,141 times
meh. Culvers is way better.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:58 PM

294 posts, read 219,936 times
I never ate them too often growing up outside Chicago. I lived near and worked at Gene and Judes who have the best hot dog in America and that was my junk food fix. Tried the new place in Scottsdale last week and it was NASTY, like one post said pickles and onions at the bottom of the box and the quality was much worse than I remember. Have tried the frozen ones a few times over the years and those were decent. Most people take better care of their car than their body, don't eat that crap!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area