Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 07:59 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,665,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Phoenix has announced it will delay implementation until the Arizona Supreme Court issues a ruling. That will take a while since oral arguments are not scheduled to occur until March.
Fantastic! Sounds like they know they're going to get slapped down in court, as they should.

It's nice to know I won't have to turn to antiquated, expensive, inconvenient methods of transportation to go about my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 06:24 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,456,233 times
The state legislature is now considering legislation to limit airports' ability to increase fees for these companies. This is a predictable development given that the legislature has preempted cities and towns numerous times on issues such as plastic bags, gun buy-backs, business improvement districts, and short-term rentals. Some Democrats have backed equally preemptive legislation with respect to housing and zoning in states like Virginia and California. Reducing local control in favor of decisions made by state legislatures is a nationwide, bipartisan trend, so I'm not surprised to see it factoring into this issue.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ix/4695458002/

Old 02-10-2020, 12:21 AM

66 posts, read 43,697 times
The airport is the largest source of revenue for ride share companies. There is no real chance they would turn down picking up passengers at Sky Harbor over a rate hike. They can merely pass on these fees to the passengers. And people will not stop riding Uber and Lyft because they have to pay $2 to $3 more in fees. Even with those fees attached, it's still a bargain and more convenient when compared to taking taxis or parking on site. I'm surprised it has raised such a fuss. The same is happening in Boston and there is no outcry. Also Uber and Lyft are not regulated in the same manner taxis are. They face much stricter regulations. I don't really feel any sympathy for Uber or Lyft. I would call their bluff. Neither company has shown a profit and their individual stock values have disappointed overall. They are in no position to turn down business especially when it comes from their largest source of revenue. The company would suffer immensely if they did. They are protesting these fees as they should from a strategic perspective. They don't want to pay additional rate hikes in the future so it's necessary to protest these current ones.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:49 AM

Interrupting the endless pandemic discussion for an update on this issue, which somehow seemed like the most important topic on this forum just a few weeks ago. The AZ Supreme Court just ruled — unanimously — that Phoenix was acting within its legal authority when it implemented its new fee structure at Sky Harbor. Since almost no one is flying or taking rides these days, the immediate impact may be limited. Nevertheless, it’s an important and somewhat unexpected victory for the city in its battle with the rideshare companies and their allies.

https://ktar.com/story/3058572/arizo...ber-lyft-fees/

Old 04-02-2020, 12:05 PM

1,610 posts, read 2,017,173 times
I know they'll need as many riders as possible once this passes, but I hope they do leave. I wouldn't mind walking across Washington St to be picked up/off. And just use the walkway from the light rail station to get to the terminals.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:18 AM

This thread seems to have died down when everyone became focused on the pandemic. In fact, the OP has been AWOL since mid-March. Nevertheless, the issue continues to evolve. In early April, The Arizona Supreme Court ruled unanimously in favor of Phoenix, finding that the city was within its authority to adopt the new fees. Now, Lyft has indicated it intends to stay at Sky Harbor even when those fees are imposed:

https://ktar.com/story/3087845/lyft-...n-of-new-fees/

Old 04-23-2020, 06:08 PM

Uber has confirmed it will also continue to operate at Sky Harbor:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/trav...er/2999038001/

Old 04-23-2020, 08:23 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Uber has confirmed it will also continue to operate at Sky Harbor:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/trav...er/2999038001/
I posted that a couple of days ago.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoe...ky-harbor.html

Old 04-24-2020, 05:36 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,746,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I posted that a couple of days ago.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoe...ky-harbor.html
That was about Lyft. exit2lef was talking about Uber.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:01 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,180,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I know they'll need as many riders as possible once this passes, but I hope they do leave. I wouldn't mind walking across Washington St to be picked up/off. And just use the walkway from the light rail station to get to the terminals.
Where would that be exactly? How long of a walk would that be? - Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area