Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2019, 11:29 PM

1,336 posts, read 927,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
As for the document being biased, it seems to be stating facts. What is erroneous?
Contradicts itself prima facie. Skytrain is doing so well that it has reduced curbside utilization, yet we have to create a tax to divert more people from curbside to Skytrain.

You don't see the contradiction? Oh well. Never mind. It's just another Starbucks coffee each time we go and come from PHX. Even if it goes up to $10 each way... heck it ain't THAT bad... we can all pitch in for the greater good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 11:43 PM

and if you want to see what you have in store when you take Detroit's A train to the station... check out how long this ride is, and then think about your Uber curbside drop off. Yeah, Sky Train is a real winner alternative to curb side. Kate gonna have to increase the tax to $10 each way before she forces passengers to take that long arse train ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVLIe0VWouQ

Old 12-31-2019, 01:26 AM

6,759 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
How would I know if it's free? I have no idea where the station(s) are, and where it goes. Like I said, it's a pretty well kept secret. If it's free, my point if even more valid: why if it's so great, doing so well, AND free, does Kate have to practically tax people out of curbside drop off onto the Sky Train.

BTW, there is no way that is more efficient to the traveler. Why do I want to go wait on a 115degF platform for the next train to swing by, when the Uber can go just a little further drop me off at curbside. It will be on the whole more inefficient and a net social negative.
The Sky Train is only on airport property so it’s only good for getting to long-term parking or to the 44th St. station to catch a ride. All of the stations are air-conditioned, so on a hot day some people might prefer it to waiting outside at the terminal to catch their ride.

It is possible to walk from the 44th St Station to the light rail, but that’s no longer air conditioned, nor is it part of Sky Train.

Last edited by hikernut; 12-31-2019 at 01:52 AM..

Old 12-31-2019, 03:59 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
You’ll be waiting around for a very long time.

After seeing the list of other the major airports’ fees, and understanding Sky Harbor’s lack of tax revenue, I think it seems a bit more reasonable.
You are easily manipulated. I guess their propaganda worked on you. The link says "Phoenix Sky Harbor Receives no tax revenue." B.S.! They collect about 1/3 of their entire budget from the feds. Normally they are careful to insert the word "local". But on the link you posted, they dropped the word "local".
Additionally, here is the definition of a tax.:
a compulsory contribution levied by the government (in this case the City Council) on workers' income and business profits, added to the cost of some goods, services, and transactions.
The PHX city council easily manipulates weak minds (which happen to be the majority of people) into thinking they operate off of their own budgets. I suspect the city council yes voters failed in their personal business ventures. They said "the claim the fees are on Uber and Lyft. And they shouldn't/wouldn't be passed off on consumers".

The fear of getting sued is why the city attorney is stating it's not a tax but a "fee". And it is also one reason why Uber/Lyft is fighting back. Remember, AZ voters approved a Constitution Proposition 126 last year. That prohibits new or increased taxes on services.

Here is the reality. A paradigm shift has happened and fewer airport patrons are using their parking and airport car rentals. To combat this, airports around the country decided they wanted (and in some cases needed) more $$'s. So they went after the Ride Shares who they view as their problem. But that's not what happens outside of government. If Best Buy loses revenue to Amazon, they have to figure out a way to get more competitive. In the case of major airports, they are a monopoly and wave their wand and attach more fees. No one wants the airports to go out of business or become run down. So if they need more revenue, it is what it is so long that it is fair.

To my last point, realize that Sky Harbor brags about how well they are doing on their annual report. But they figured why not grab some more money because others are doing the same?? The fees are not equal or fair amongst rides being dropped off. Zero charged fees for friends dropping off. Less fees for taxis and vans. Yet without comprehending people's logic, you call people "crybabies". The reality is you aren't able to figure out they are grabbing more money because they want to. Not because they need to. Look at their financials that I posted earlier.

So yea, I'd be upset if I was Uber and Lyft. If I was an Uber driver, I'd be upset too as explained here https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ch/2700247001/

Old 12-31-2019, 08:20 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
and if you want to see what you have in store when you take Detroit's A train to the station... check out how long this ride is, and then think about your Uber curbside drop off.

Not all that bad. That was a RT ride and the uber has to traverse the same distance. But yeah, it would be a few minutes longer with a few stops.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:45 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
The Sky Train is only on airport property so it’s only good for getting to long-term parking or to the 44th St. station to catch a ride. All of the stations are air-conditioned, so on a hot day some people might prefer it to waiting outside at the terminal to catch their ride.

It is possible to walk from the 44th St Station to the light rail, but that’s no longer air conditioned, nor is it part of Sky Train.
The Sky Train station at East Economy parking is not air-conditioned. It's not really an issue, though. With trains coming every few minutes, plenty of shade, and big overhead ceiling fans, I've never felt uncomfortable while waiting for a train from the parking garage to the terminal.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:53 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
There is a surcharge on the SkyTrain too (albeit slightly less). This whole conspiracy theory nonsense that this is some evil master plan to steer citizens to use the train is just a display of paranoia. Is it a money grab? Of course. Is this some scheme with hidden intent to push people to a free train? Of course not.

Old 12-31-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
You are easily manipulated. I guess their propaganda worked on you. The link says "Phoenix Sky Harbor Receives no tax revenue." B.S.! They collect about 1/3 of their entire budget from the feds. Normally they are careful to insert the word "local". But on the link you posted, they dropped the word "local".
Additionally, here is the definition of a tax.:
a compulsory contribution levied by the government (in this case the City Council) on workers' income and business profits, added to the cost of some goods, services, and transactions.
The PHX city council easily manipulates weak minds (which happen to be the majority of people) into thinking they operate off of their own budgets. I suspect the city council yes voters failed in their personal business ventures. They said "the claim the fees are on Uber and Lyft. And they shouldn't/wouldn't be passed off on consumers".

The fear of getting sued is why the city attorney is stating it's not a tax but a "fee". And it is also one reason why Uber/Lyft is fighting back. Remember, AZ voters approved a Constitution Proposition 126 last year. That prohibits new or increased taxes on services.

Here is the reality. A paradigm shift has happened and fewer airport patrons are using their parking and airport car rentals. To combat this, airports around the country decided they wanted (and in some cases needed) more $$'s. So they went after the Ride Shares who they view as their problem. But that's not what happens outside of government. If Best Buy loses revenue to Amazon, they have to figure out a way to get more competitive. In the case of major airports, they are a monopoly and wave their wand and attach more fees. No one wants the airports to go out of business or become run down. So if they need more revenue, it is what it is so long that it is fair.

To my last point, realize that Sky Harbor brags about how well they are doing on their annual report. But they figured why not grab some more money because others are doing the same?? The fees are not equal or fair amongst rides being dropped off. Zero charged fees for friends dropping off. Less fees for taxis and vans. Yet without comprehending people's logic, you call people "crybabies". The reality is you aren't able to figure out they are grabbing more money because they want to. Not because they need to. Look at their financials that I posted earlier.

So yea, I'd be upset if I was Uber and Lyft. If I was an Uber driver, I'd be upset too as explained here https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ch/2700247001/
Well said, you need to run for Phoenix city council!

Old 12-31-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
There is a surcharge on the SkyTrain too (albeit slightly less). This whole conspiracy theory nonsense that this is some evil master plan to steer citizens to use the train is just a display of paranoia. Is it a money grab? Of course. Is this some scheme with hidden intent to push people to a free train? Of course not.
Well at least you are now off this tax as a legitimate raising of revenue and now see it's a money grab.
You are making progress. Now if you think about it a little more, you'd see that the only possible other outcome is pushing more curbside traffic to Sky Train. It's so incredibly obvious to the most casual observer, yet...

Old 12-31-2019, 09:08 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Well at least you are now off this tax as a legitimate raising of revenue and now see it's a money grab.
You are making progress. Now if you think about it a little more, you'd see that the only possible other outcome is pushing more curbside traffic to Sky Train. It's so incredibly obvious to the most casual observer, yet...
Taxes are money grabs. I never previously stated whether I felt it was legitimate or not, so my position remains unchanged.

How will this push curbside traffic to the SkyTrain? I understand you’re now too married to this silly conspiracy theory, but it’s senseless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area