Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 04:50 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
You continue to change the narrative to fit your argument. I said $24. For the 4th time, $24. Heck, I even capitalized the word "IF". IF Lyft follows through to prove a point, I'll pay my game to save $24 totaling once sentence. Not for $4 but $24 (now the 5th time). I'll pay myself more than the driver that is taking me to the airport airport earning less than my savings excluding his overhead. Now if you are in upper management at Lyft, I stand corrected.
This is wild. It’s not $24. It’s the surcharge. It’s actually only $1.34 because there’s already a $2.66 surcharge, but that’s beside the point. Wouldn’t you still save the same $20 by taking Lyft over to Uber directly to the airport? I don’t see how their fare being cheaper has anything to do with the surcharge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 05:08 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
This is wild. It’s not $24. It’s the surcharge. It’s actually only $1.34 because there’s already a $2.66 surcharge, but that’s beside the point. Wouldn’t you still save the same $20 by taking Lyft over to Uber directly to the airport? I don’t see how their fare being cheaper has anything to do with the surcharge.
For whatever reason, Lyft is always much cheaper. And IF they play hardball for x amount of time and IF I am traveling directly to the airport, our Uber buddies are going to hammer people even more. So yea, it's $24 so long as Lyft sits on the side lines. I am also betting it won't be forever. But I kind of like the idea of disrupting the additional fees.

Now according to the insiders, the fee is REALLY about a loss of parking revenue. You know, guys like me who usually parked their car and hassled with having to arrive early to the airport are no longer parking. So their "improvement" fee seems to be really about them wanting some more $$'s because ride share is changing their income stream. Not sure if that's true as I have not parked at the airport in years.

That said, it was explained to me that the Lyft drivers are all prepared to play this game. It's their livelihood at stake. It's also why Lyft might push back knowing that their drivers are willing to dodge the fees thereby impacting their revenue less that you assume. Of course, they will loose you as a customer. So when Uber surges big time, go ahead and take my free one liner and go save some money with Lyft. You are welcome.

Old 12-18-2019, 05:20 PM

I should add that I have no idea why Lyft is always so much cheaper. The longer the ride the bigger the savings. I'm assuming they are still trying to buy their way into the market. When we have guests, I refuse to drive people to the airport or pick them up. It's bad math for me to drive them when it costs $35 for an airport run (nearly always the case even when I schedule the night before). How they do it is beyond me. The drivers get something like only 1/2 of the fee. I don't get it...????

Old 12-18-2019, 05:29 PM

1,336 posts, read 931,532 times
I have checked that lately and Lyft was sometimes more than Uber. I think both outfits are playing with their algo's constantly... seeing what happens with A/B experiments. We are just monkeys in their labs.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:04 PM

87 posts, read 44,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
As already established, it's simple to enforce and track and no one is going to put the thought into taking the "seconds to get around the fee". Do you travel a lot? Would you bother playing silly games within the app to skirt a nominal fee? No one will except for maybe a few fringe cheapskates.
I don't think this is established. While other airports may have implemented a rideshare fee, if they rely upon Uber/Lyft for enforcement, the fee may not be added 100% of the time, even if end users are not purposely attempting to get around the fee. I'm guessing these airports don't even realize this.

If users are purposely attempting to get around the fee then forget it.

Simply put, geofences are not a fool proof way of tracking whether an end user went to a specific location. Starting with Android 8.0, the OS is very aggressive with putting background and even foreground services to sleep. It also greatly limits location updates when an app is in the background or when the phone screen is turned off. Only Google apps have unrestricted access to the location listener, all other apps rely upon the OS to send them location updates. This may not have been the case when some airports decided on going down this path but I think it is a trend that is likely to continue in an effort to increase battery life.

What I mean by this is if a passenger has their phone screen turned off, there is a chance that a rideshare app's geofence entrance transition may NOT be tripped, meaning no fee will be added.

You can read the Google documentation or even try searching "geofence did not trigger when app is in background". You will find many developers discussing these limitations.

There are better ways to get funding for the airport besides trying to charge a fee to rideshare companies AND have them police themselves. What will airports do if rideshare becomes decentralized? Why jump through hoops to get a few dollars per ride, when a much easier and more fool proof approach is to add the fee onto purchases within the airport or even the tickets themselves?

Last edited by DatBoiLavoi; 12-18-2019 at 11:02 PM..

Old 12-19-2019, 03:46 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,466,905 times
It may have been overshadowed by the impeachment news, but the Phoenix City Council passed the revised fee schedule yesterday by a 7-2 vote. Uber and Lyft continue to say they'll leave the airport but have not set a date. Their allies and advocates like the Goldwater Institute and dissenting city council member Sal DiCiccio promise this will be challenged in the courts or maybe overridden by legislation at the state level, so this debate may not be over.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It may have been overshadowed by the impeachment news, but the Phoenix City Council passed the revised fee schedule yesterday by a 7-2 vote. Uber and Lyft continue to say they'll leave the airport but have not set a date. Their allies and advocates like the Goldwater Institute and dissenting city council member Sal DiCiccio promise this will be challenged in the courts or maybe overridden by legislation at the state level, so this debate may not be over.
This is a loss for travelers. I'm hoping that Uber and Lyft return at some point or fee schedule is changed.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:18 AM

2,791 posts, read 7,466,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoiLavoi View Post
This is a loss for travelers. I'm hoping that Uber and Lyft return at some point or fee schedule is changed.
They can't return until they actually leave. So far, they haven't left -- just threatened to leave.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:54 AM

This occurred a few years ago at Fresno's airport and Uber pulled out for our a couple of years until the agreement was changed.

Last edited by DatBoiLavoi; 12-19-2019 at 07:24 AM..

Old 12-19-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoiLavoi View Post
This occurred a few years ago at Fresno's airport and Uber pulled out for our a couple of years until the agreement was changed.
Are you sure? People on this forum are convinced it can never happen. https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local...147974814.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area