Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 10:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Are you sure? People on this forum are convinced it can never happen. https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local...147974814.html
It's Fresno. Comparing a small market to a large, significant one isn't logical. They won't permanently cease operations at Sky Harbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 12:05 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,020,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
LOL, we don’t have shared ride services here. Uber and Lyft likely contribute to increased traffic. I don’t really care that they do, just addressing the nonsensical point.

I “effectively” did. AKA, I never said anything other than what you’re choosing to infer. What do you want me to do? Picket? Take a traditional cab? Walk? You’re saying that I support it because I refuse to play absurd games to avoid the fee?

And as the fifth largest city in the country, why doesn't Lyft and Uber provide pool rides here? It's absolutely puzzling. Even Las Vegas has the option. Does anyone know why they don't do that here?

Old 12-19-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
And as the fifth largest city in the country, why doesn't Lyft and Uber provide pool rides here? It's absolutely puzzling. Even Las Vegas has the option. Does anyone know why they don't do that here?
I think the logistics would be tough here. Vegas is easy because the vast majority of the riders go from the airport to the strip or from the strip to downtown. We're not at all centralized so matching someone else going to and from the same vicinity and the same time seems like a challenge given our geography.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:55 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,020,068 times
Quote:
I think the logistics would be tough here. Vegas is easy because the vast majority of the riders go from the airport to the strip or from the strip to downtown. We're not at all centralized so matching someone else going to and from the same vicinity and the same time seems like a challenge given our geography.
I get your point. But when I'm up there, I'm not going to the Strip or downtown. I'm going out in the suburbs from the airport and there has been a few going my direction. But I guess what you're saying the volume is there with the Strip and downtown to make it worth it for them to offer it. But having the pool option is nice, as it saves money for those who want to do so.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:49 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,462,332 times
As expected, a state legislator has asked the attorney general to investigate if Phoenix's new fee schedule violates state law. Unsurprisingly, the challenge has been filed by Nancy Barto, who criticized the new fees before they were approved. Barto has a history of favoring intervention at the state level to pre-empt local laws she doesn't like. She sponsored the law that bans Arizona cities and towns from banning plastic bags. Now, she's challenging an incumbent from her own party for a state senate seat, so this is a way to gain some name recognition:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ch/2700247001/

Old 12-20-2019, 06:23 AM

9,797 posts, read 11,191,060 times
Quote:
It's Fresno. Comparing a small market to a large, significant one isn't logical. They won't permanently cease operations at Sky Harbor.
I propose that if they want to prove a point (even for a month or three or five), they can and they may (I didn't say they will). Comparing market size has nothing to do with logic. Logic removes emotion from the decision. If they leave (for however long), their goal is not to insert logic. Rather, insert emotion into the debate. An analogy would be a labor strike. Companies and employees may hold out to inflict pain in order to gain visibility. The strike might work out to be terrible math.

But in DetroitN8V fashion, you move the goal post to assert you are not wrong. In this case, you added in the words "they won't permanently". Who said they would? Meanwhile, IF (notice it is capitalized) one or both rides share companies won't pick up or deliver, I predict there will be an underground workaround. I intend on having the driver (Lyft) drop me off at the airport without the fee and without disruptions. I'll use a single sentence. Enjoy your taxi.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:28 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,972,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
Major issue in this country

Poeple want others to pay and kneel down for their poor life decisions
? She’s literally working and earning an income...

Old 12-20-2019, 08:09 AM

1,336 posts, read 930,700 times
Detroit should offer to step in and pay the apparently trivial $4 going on $5+ dollars for every rider... that should make everyone happy.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Detroit should offer to step in and pay the apparently trivial $4 going on $5+ dollars for every rider... that should make everyone happy.
Or take personal responsibility for yourself and choose to either play silly games or cough it up. Again, what do you suggest? Protest? Walking to the airport? Spending even more to park there? Creating a blog? What?

Old 12-20-2019, 09:04 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,189,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
But why make Uber/Lyft passengers and/or drivers pay a tax when all they do is pickup and drop off passengers, making use of the airport more efficient and keep cars off the road?
Because the City has to pay to build and maintain the infrastructure to support all of those rideshare cars in and around the airport. And they do not "keep cars off the road," because in order to be available there have to be empty Ubers and Lyfts driving around all the time waiting for a ping. I don't know specifically about Sky Harbor, but traffic congestion around airport terminals in general has gotten astronomically worse with the advent of ridesharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area