Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 03:27 PM

1,336 posts, read 929,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Except that you're wrong because many airports have ride share surcharges/taxes. Sky Harbor is also unique in that it doesn't receive any funding from taxes. Do a little research perhaps.

Uber and Lyft will continue to service the airport. Don't buy into their empty threats with fear-mongering.
I love how you justify you and the rest of us paying a tax that has nothing to do with the use of the airport facility. It matters not that the same tax policy is applied elsewhere, and maybe for better reason elsewhere. Why should we pay it here? If Sky needs funding, it makes infinitely more sense to increase landing and use fees and spread the Sky cost of improvement, if it must be increased, across all passengers. But why make Uber/Lyft passengers and/or drivers pay a tax when all they do is pickup and drop off passengers, making use of the airport more efficient and keep cars off the road?

Again, your blind support of a tax increase is not surprising to me, but it does explain how governments can continually ratchet up tax load on a sheep population that just swallows whatever its fed. If you like paying nonsensical taxes, there are some great cities around the world in which you can really exercise this joy to whole new levels!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 03:42 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,656,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
I love how you justify you and the rest of us paying a tax that has nothing to do with the use of the airport facility. It matters not that the same tax policy is applied elsewhere, and maybe for better reason elsewhere. Why should we pay it here? If Sky needs funding, it makes infinitely more sense to increase landing and use fees and spread the Sky cost of improvement, if it must be increased, across all passengers. But why make Uber/Lyft passengers and/or drivers pay a tax when all they do is pickup and drop off passengers, making use of the airport more efficient and keep cars off the road?

Again, your blind support of a tax increase is not surprising to me, but it does explain how governments can continually ratchet up tax load on a sheep population that just swallows whatever its fed. If you like paying nonsensical taxes, there are some great cities around the world in which you can really exercise this joy to whole new levels!
Uber and Lyft keep cars off the road?? That't too funny and ridiculous not to point out! What do you think Uber and Lyft are exactly?

Again, I never stated my opinion on the merits of the fee increase. I'm not so sure they have my support; certainly not my blind support no matter how many times you say it. My point was that I'm not going to start playing games and giving my drivers one-liners and weird bribes to avoid it.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:54 PM

9,770 posts, read 11,176,921 times
Quote:
It's an empty threat, they're not leaving. Your cost is the surcharge itself.

I'm all for saving and being wise with one's spending, but even thinking about gaming the system to save a $4 surcharge is absurd and petty.
You continue to change the narrative to fit your argument. I said $24. For the 4th time, $24. Heck, I even capitalized the word "IF". IF Lyft follows through to prove a point, I'll pay my game to save $24 totaling once sentence. Not for $4 but $24 (now the 5th time). I'll pay myself more than the driver that is taking me to the airport airport earning less than my savings excluding his overhead. Now if you are in upper management at Lyft, I stand corrected.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
It's a use tax and I'm fine with it as long as it is funding what it is supposed to. Same thing if you stay at a nice resort and they charge a $31/night resort fee for upkeep of the resort grounds.

And being a penny pincher is not the best path to retirement, focusing on earnings and investments allows me to not sweat the small stuff.
I save thousands not pennies. That all said, I know a whole lot of people who do as I do. Whatever gets you to the finish line. I'll give you an example. My "penny pinching" include getting 1.5M points a year on credit cards. To give one present day example, someone else is paying for my $650 a night hotel at Whistler for the next few days. And for my airfare too (I got 2 tickets for the price of 1 via SWA to Seattle). Points are paying some fun things to do. My ski rental, etc. That's just this week. So yea, I'm an "optimizer" And yes, I will go out of my way to save $24 by saying a sentence. No. I'm not going to hassle with it for $4 (I never said I would). But I will for $24! IF saying a sentence is beneath you, I'd be shocked. Is it??

Old 12-18-2019, 04:15 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,284,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I save thousands not pennies. That all said, I know a whole lot of people who do as I do. Whatever gets you to the finish line. I'll give you an example. My "penny pinching" include getting 1.5M points a year on credit cards. To give one present day example, someone else is paying for my $650 a night hotel at Whistler for the next few days. And for my airfare too (I got 2 tickets for the price of 1 via SWA to Seattle). Points are paying some fun things to do. My ski rental, etc. That's just this week. So yea, I'm an "optimizer" And yes, I will go out of my way to save $24 by saying a sentence. No. I'm not going to hassle with it for $4 (I never said I would). But I will for $24! IF saying a sentence is beneath you, I'd be shocked. Is it??
Right, you enjoy "the haggle" to the extreme where you'll find a workaround for a mere $24. I'll haggle when I buy cars or properties but it pretty much stops there. I think you're being penny wise and pound foolish to do this but that's my opinion.

Case in point, in the past you've said you're a millionaire but also said you refuse to invest in the stock market (at your current age I understand, but it sounds like it is an ongoing long term thing). If you had invested that million recently you would have increased your net worth some $100,000 to $150,000 annually. To totally spurn that kind of money and then spend time/energy worrying about a workaround on a $5 surcharge seems silly to me. You can see your investments gain tens of thousands a day but still fret over the equivalent of the cost of a cup of coffee. This is what I mean about being penny wise and pound foolish.

I understand credit card points and airline miles just as well as you do... We flew to Maui for free. But that is merely choosing the right credit card and does not take significant continuous effort.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
It's a use tax and I'm fine with it as long as it is funding what it is supposed to. Same thing if you stay at a nice resort and they charge a $31/night resort fee for upkeep of the resort grounds.
Actually (as explained to me by a customer who owns multiple hotels), the recent change to charge resort fees has as much to do with dodging online fees. i.e. Travelocity (for example) charges a percentage to book a room. Other times they buy a room and sell it online for whatever they can. But when they are making a percentage, the hotels can avoid some fees as the booking services cannot make money off (a percentage) of the resort fee. i.e., the hotels/resorts are "penny pinching".

Old 12-18-2019, 04:23 PM

1,336 posts, read 929,787 times
Quote:
Uber and Lyft keep cars off the road?? That't too funny and ridiculous not to point out! What do you think Uber and Lyft are exactly?

Again, I never stated my opinion on the merits of the fee increase. I'm not so sure they have my support; certainly not my blind support no matter how many times you say it. My point was that I'm not going to start playing games and giving my drivers one-liners and weird bribes to avoid it.
A. Really? Have you used the apps... you do realize it's called ride sharing... not everyone uses it as a 1:1 replacement for their vehicle on the road. There are options in busy areas for sharing the ride... it was the original intention and still is.

B. Yes you effectively did support the policy, re-read your post. Your message: this is so trivial an amount of money $4, that I don't mind at all paying it every time we pick/drop at the airport. Which effectively forces your point of view on that on the rest of us.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:

Nor should you. Just as I refuse to live in a hotel room and in airplanes. In my book, that's a terrible way to live while you might actually like it. Different opinions make the world go around.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Right, you enjoy "the haggle" to the extreme where you'll find a workaround for a mere $24. I'll haggle when I buy cars or properties but it pretty much stops there. I think you're being penny wise and pound foolish to do this but that's my opinion.

Case in point, in the past you've said you're a millionaire but also said you refuse to invest in the stock market (at your current age I understand, but it sounds like it is an ongoing long term thing). If you had invested that million recently you would have increased your net worth some $100,000 to $150,000 annually. To totally spurn that kind of money and then spend time/energy worrying about a workaround on a $5 surcharge seems silly to me. You can see your investments gain tens of thousands a day but still fret over the equivalent of the cost of a cup of coffee. This is what I mean about being penny wise and pound foolish.

I understand credit card points and airline miles just as well as you do... We flew to Maui for free. But that is merely choosing the right credit card and does not take significant continuous effort.
I invest in my business. I know my ROI. In the last couple of weeks, I bought $90K worth of widgets at 25% below cost. As always, cash is king. I'll make 40% on that in 30-45 days because I bought it right. I make darn sure I don't lose money which includes the stock market. I only want to keep up with inflation.

I like my way I managing my money. I'm risk adverse. Over the years, I've passed on all kinds of opportunities to make more. I don't want to work hard anymore.

I'll be the 1st to admit that I am guilty of bad ROI which officially includes even thinking about $24. As I said, I enjoy it. The mentality (not necessarily the actual dollars) is why I am where I am. Your mentality (willing to take educated and smart gambles) is paying off for you. We both get the finish line with screw-you-money while others are living in airports knocking others for saying a sentence to save $24. We are just going about in a different way.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:45 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,656,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
A. Really? Have you used the apps... you do realize it's called ride sharing... not everyone uses it as a 1:1 replacement for their vehicle on the road. There are options in busy areas for sharing the ride... it was the original intention and still is.

B. Yes you effectively did support the policy, re-read your post. Your message: this is so trivial an amount of money $4, that I don't mind at all paying it every time we pick/drop at the airport. Which effectively forces your point of view on that on the rest of us.
LOL, we don’t have shared ride services here. Uber and Lyft likely contribute to increased traffic. I don’t really care that they do, just addressing the nonsensical point.

I “effectively” did. AKA, I never said anything other than what you’re choosing to infer. What do you want me to do? Picket? Take a traditional cab? Walk? You’re saying that I support it because I refuse to play absurd games to avoid the fee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area