Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 01:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Not a problem. I "play silly games" for $24 any way I can for a one second workaround. It's literally a one second workaround. As in, "do you mind if I tip you in cash to drop me off at the airport? I'm sure you hate this tax as it is your livelihood. I feel for you being in the middle of this money grab". And the answer will be YES, thanks for helping us.

Then I can use Lyft and save $24. Those daily techniques add up to hundreds then thousands etc. I Eventually that way of life adds up to "screw-you-money" which is defined as not having to go to work. It's a way of life for me and it's how I roll. Meanwhile, you can find that approach laughable. I'll use my approach every time while you go to work. Enjoy.
You’re saving $4. Lyft will continue to operate as Uber does. If you’re tipping more than you normally would, bye bye savings. That “********* money” will take a long time to accumulate at that rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 01:11 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You’re saving $4. Lyft will continue to operate as Uber does. If you’re tipping more than you normally would, bye bye savings. That “********* money” will take a long time to accumulate at that rate.
I said IF my Lyft driver is right, they are boycotting. Therefore, the ride is $20 more plus the $4 for the fee. hence $24. The tip is in cash which is what I normally give plus a little extra.

Correct. Screw-you-money takes years to build. $5 here, $100 there, and a $1000's of dollars on bigger purchases. It's a state of mind and attitude. On the $20 bills and the $100K purchases. I enjoy the game actually. And I'm good at it. Because of it, I've never had to worry about (NOT having) money for my entire adult life. The downside is you cannot turn it off when you want. I could have retired years ago. But I like what I do partially because I don't have to do work.

Most people don't get it and they hate the discipline. Whatever makes you happy.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:13 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,171,717 times
It seems he was correct. Lyft threatens to leave. Read https://www.azcentral.com/get-access...F4230221002%2F

Old 12-18-2019, 02:01 PM

1,336 posts, read 928,812 times
Quote:
When I travel, the last thing I last thing I want to think about is playing silly games to either save a negligible fee or to somehow feel like I'm getting one over on the system. You do you though. To me, it's laughable.
And folks, this is how and why the left ruined the progressive states, one 'negligible tax' at a time. Apparently happy to pay taxes at all times, even when, especially in this case, there is no value add or logic to the tax.

When Uber and Lyft stop coming here and Detroit has to take a mangy cab (are there cabs still?) at 2x the price, he/she will somehow revel in the inconvenience.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
And folks, this is how and why the left ruined the progressive states, one 'negligible tax' at a time. Apparently happy to pay taxes at all times, even when, especially in this case, there is no value add or logic to the tax.

When Uber and Lyft stop coming here and Detroit has to take a mangy cab (are there cabs still?) at 2x the price, he/she will somehow revel in the inconvenience.
All the constant left vs. right whining is so tired. I never stated my opinion on this surcharge. I haven't really looked into it, although if it is needed to improve infrastructure at Sky Harbor (practically my second home), I'd likely be for it. I do know, however, that I won't be playing stupid games and giving weird lines to my drivers to dodge it though.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I said IF my Lyft driver is right, they are boycotting. Therefore, the ride is $20 more plus the $4 for the fee. hence $24. The tip is in cash which is what I normally give plus a little extra.

Correct. Screw-you-money takes years to build. $5 here, $100 there, and a $1000's of dollars on bigger purchases. It's a state of mind and attitude. On the $20 bills and the $100K purchases. I enjoy the game actually. And I'm good at it. Because of it, I've never had to worry about (NOT having) money for my entire adult life. The downside is you cannot turn it off when you want. I could have retired years ago. But I like what I do partially because I don't have to do work.

Most people don't get it and they hate the discipline. Whatever makes you happy.
It's an empty threat, they're not leaving. Your cost is the surcharge itself.

I'm all for saving and being wise with one's spending, but even thinking about gaming the system to save a $4 surcharge is absurd and petty.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
All the constant left vs. right whining is so tired. I never stated my opinion on this surcharge. I haven't really looked into it, although if it is needed to improve infrastructure at Sky Harbor (practically my second home), I'd likely be for it. I do know, however, that I won't be playing stupid games and giving weird lines to my drivers to dodge it though.
Funny how the other airports in the world keep themselves nice, tidy, and up to date, without usurious taxes that have no connection to resource usage. That only decrease utility of the airport as a service.

You just do NOT think about the consequence of the constant drip drip drip of bad policies. Well some of us have been under that Chinese water torture enough to know it's not a good experience, nor a good outcome, but one that can't be undone once the water pail is full of drops.

Oh and you won't have an oppty to give your drivers any dodgy instructions, because they won't be there, because thanks to your support of the policy, Uber and Lyft will stop making pickups at the airport.
Still sound good to you? Great.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
When I travel, the last thing I last thing I want to think about is playing silly games to either save a negligible fee or to somehow feel like I'm getting one over on the system. You do you though. To me, it's laughable.
and yes, I think this is posting your opinion of the policy... you don't mind paying $4 for absolutely no reason, because, after all, it's only $4. But you don't think about $4 times how many rides? Or if the $4 comes out of the drivers pocket, partially or wholly. I can survive this $4 increase, though I won't like it, but I am not someone who drives to make a living.

If it was Uber charging an extra $4 just because they want to make more profit, that would be fine with me, I'd just take Lyft, but the City slapping an arbitrary fine on all Lyft/Uber that we have to pay in some way or another, has no basis in economic value, it's just a sleazy way to tollgate money for city funding.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Funny how the other airports in the world keep themselves nice, tidy, and up to date, without usurious taxes that have no connection to resource usage. That only decrease utility of the airport as a service.

You just do NOT think about the consequence of the constant drip drip drip of bad policies. Well some of us have been under that Chinese water torture enough to know it's not a good experience, nor a good outcome, but one that can't be undone once the water pail is full of drops.

Oh and you won't have an oppty to give your drivers any dodgy instructions, because they won't be there, because thanks to your support of the policy, Uber and Lyft will stop making pickups at the airport.
Still sound good to you? Great.
Except that you're wrong because many airports have ride share surcharges/taxes. Sky Harbor is also unique in that it doesn't receive any funding from taxes. Do a little research perhaps.

Uber and Lyft will continue to service the airport. Don't buy into their empty threats with fear-mongering.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:15 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
It's a use tax and I'm fine with it as long as it is funding what it is supposed to. Same thing if you stay at a nice resort and they charge a $31/night resort fee for upkeep of the resort grounds.

And being a penny pincher is not the best path to retirement, focusing on earnings and investments allows me to not sweat the small stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area