Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2019, 09:11 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,968,022 times

Advertisements

It’ll push curbside traffic to cabs, many of which have been sitting empty at the stand for awhile, not the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 09:14 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,656,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
It’ll push curbside traffic to cabs, many of which have been sitting empty at the stand for awhile, not the train.
So what you’re saying is that Mayor Kate is getting major kickbacks from the taxi companies and this is a conspiracy to send money their way?

Old 12-31-2019, 09:28 AM

6,771 posts, read 5,071,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The Sky Train station at East Economy parking is not air-conditioned.

Ah, yes. I stand corrected.

Old 12-31-2019, 09:42 AM

9,770 posts, read 11,180,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Well said, you need to run for Phoenix city council!
The city council members make $61K a year (discussed here https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...fire/10259943/ ) I'm not interested. If I worked for them full time, then they would need to add a zero.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:16 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,676 times
For one to claim that they had never heard of the Sky Train until this controversy and to not know even now where it goes, they would either have just gotten off the bus from Kansas or be completely clueless. It was front page news when it opened in 2013, its expansion has been well publicized and there are signs for it all over the airport.

The "ride sharing" services had an unfair advantage over other services such as taxis and SuperShuttle. The new fee levels the playing field. The city made a PR mistake in connecting this issue to the Sky Train as it just caused the usual anti-transit crowd to come out of the woodwork.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:06 PM

1,336 posts, read 929,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
For one to claim that they had never heard of the Sky Train until this controversy and to not know even now where it goes, they would either have just gotten off the bus from Kansas or be completely clueless. It was front page news when it opened in 2013, its expansion has been well publicized and there are signs for it all over the airport.

The "ride sharing" services had an unfair advantage over other services such as taxis and SuperShuttle. The new fee levels the playing field. The city made a PR mistake in connecting this issue to the Sky Train as it just caused the usual anti-transit crowd to come out of the woodwork.
Front page of what? A newspaper. Those things still exist?

I do relent somewhat to the unfairness argument, but the taxi companies are not quite the same position as individual contractors aka Uber drivers. This tax just hurts Uber drivers and passengers, and maybe Uber too in the end. But not before it whacks us all.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:15 PM

9,770 posts, read 11,180,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Unfair? ABSOLUTELY! Like a killer app that offers passengers a significant time savings (roving cars that can be hailed electronically). The result is faster and it is much simpler. As I posted earlier, many of the overhead and regulations were supported by the taxi companies to create barriers to entry. You see, they don't like competition. So taxi's got their arse handed to them. Good riddance!

I have reluctantly taken about 5 taxis in my life. Shy of an emergency, I'll never ride one again. Meanwhile, I've taken 5 Uber/Lyft's in the past week. Taxi's need to face the music and realize their days are numbered.

As I have said more than once, under the new proposal, taxi's are going to pay less fess/taxes.

Old 12-31-2019, 03:50 PM

1,336 posts, read 929,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
The city council members make $61K a year (discussed here https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...fire/10259943/ ) I'm not interested. If I worked for them full time, then they would need to add a zero.
Wow, no wonder we get what we got. That to me seems like you should have some educational or track record prerequisite to run, and then if elected something in the 100-200s should be a salary. Assuming that these guys and gals would do any real work if elected.

Old 12-31-2019, 05:28 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,241,142 times
Quote:
Wow, no wonder we get what we got. That to me seems like you should have some educational or track record prerequisite to run, and then if elected something in the 100-200s should be a salary. Assuming that these guys and gals would do any real work if elected.

Funny how they can work a few years for paltry $60k salaries and some years later be upper class socialites.

Old 12-31-2019, 05:50 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,676 times
Quote:
Front page of what? A newspaper. Those things still exist?
I used the phrase to include tv news, websites, wherever one gets one’s news. It has been well publicized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area