Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2019, 04:13 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,208,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
Yes companies like GE, Apple, Amazon, and Uber basically pay nothing and then in Uber's case compete with companies that pay lots and are subject to many rules and regulations. As soon as any Jurisdiction expects Uber to follow rules they want to take their ball and go home. In the bigger picture they are another useless company, in the little picture you get a cheap ride from someone making almost no money.
It sounds like the problem with taxi rates are the layers of rules and regulations. Years ago, they were probably lobbied by their own industry in order to put in place overhead to keep out other competitors (barriers to entry). If taxi's all go under, I'm over it. Next topic.

"Useless"? You are off about $51 Billion. https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...ies/market-cap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
It sounds like the problem with taxi rates are the layers of rules and regulations. Years ago, they were probably lobbied by their own industry in order to put in place overhead to keep out other competitors (barriers to entry). If taxi's all go under, I'm over it. Next topic.

"Useless"? You are off about $51 Billion. https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...ies/market-cap
According to this site, I guessed correctly (see https://www.insidesources.com/how-ub...i-regulations/ )

"In a new report for the Institute for Justice, “Regulatory Overdrive,” my co-authors and I studied the taxi regulations and markets of 44 major U.S. cities. Instead of protecting consumers, taxi regulations have long protected businesses from competition. According to our report, the three largest taxi firms controlled more than 60 percent of a city’s cabs on average. "

Old 12-26-2019, 08:47 AM

586 posts, read 542,929 times
Quote:

I don't think stock value in any way provides a value of usefulness??? Why don't you tell me how much value they provide to society oytsude of the guy sitting in the back. If their stock value was based on actual results their stock would be pennies.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:49 AM

586 posts, read 542,929 times
Quote:
According to this site, I guessed correctly (see https://www.insidesources.com/how-ub...i-regulations/ )

"In a new report for the Institute for Justice, “Regulatory Overdrive,” my co-authors and I studied the taxi regulations and markets of 44 major U.S. cities. Instead of protecting consumers, taxi regulations have long protected businesses from competition. According to our report, the three largest taxi firms controlled more than 60 percent of a city’s cabs on average. "
Why dont you Google Uber and sexual assaults and explain how Uber protects anyone but the shareholders when drivers are reported. Try googling Uber wages while you are at it. Another great Race to the bottom company.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:25 AM

87 posts, read 44,493 times
Quote:
Why dont you Google Uber and sexual assaults and explain how Uber protects anyone but the shareholders when drivers are reported. Try googling Uber wages while you are at it. Another great Race to the bottom company.
Googling "kyro sagero light rail samurai" shows a very interesting video regarding what appear to be some sort of dispute with passengers of the light rail. It seems crime affects both platforms as you can see in the video below.

https://youtu.be/4RuNGtiRhKw

I'm wondering if light rail funds could be used for airport infrastructure as the city of Phoenix believes more funds are needed.

Last edited by DatBoiLavoi; 12-26-2019 at 10:42 AM..

Old 12-26-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I don't think stock value in any way provides a value of usefulness??? Why don't you tell me how much value they provide to society oytsude of the guy sitting in the back. If their stock value was based on actual results their stock would be pennies.
I'll bite. Here is one: a lot of drunk drivers are no longer on the road because of the simplicity and flexibility or their app. I also love the value-add of being able to watch my wife go to here destination from afar through the app. Think safety and peace of mind. It also frees up a lot of parking spots in congested towns. When i don't have to rent a car, my productivity of having to pick it up is increased. In another example, my son in Boston doesn't need a car because of it (in combo with his bicycle). I can go on and on... You're a smart guy, why do I need to explain the obvious.

So yea, the market cap value proves their value. It seems you are a little bitter toward Uber and Lyft. Care to explain why?

Old 12-26-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
The catholic church buries the habits of priests that molest little boys and doctors abuse gymnasts girls. It should be expected that Google will show there are some lousy drivers too. What's your point?

Old 12-26-2019, 10:41 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,264,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
How can multiple riders, who would otherwise take one car apiece, sharing one car, increase congestion? Of course it cannot, that's exactly what it doesn't do. What sort of logic are you employing there? I agree in Phoenix where that option may not be *yet* used, then ride-sharing may not currently reduce traffic. But as more Uber/Lyft riders come online, then that option, which is popular in Bay area and LA, will be used here, too.

Perhaps you don't know this whole set of options exist, Uber-Pool for example I think it's called, because you haven't used Uber outside of AZ.

I'm a big fan of uber/lyft and we have been usually taking them to the airport in Houston but multiple studies have shown that services like Uber - and even UberPool (Lyft Line is the counterpart) - add to congestion. First, they pull some riders from mass transit. Second, the drivers roam between rides with "deadheading" accounting for half of miles driven. When we drive to the airport, we park in an offsite lot and ride the parking lot shuttle to terminal, and the reverse when we return. We are never driving around the terminal except in a shuttle bus with 20 other people. Even if we (rarely) park in expensive terminal parking, we drive directly to and from the parking lot. We don't, like many rideshare drivers, circle the terminal again and again so that they will be closest when the ride request pops up.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:48 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,264,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Most of the cab companies also have apps that will get you a cab quickly. I have used the Yellow Cab app several times.

Finally, after ten years of getting dusted by rideshare services, they are finally providing apps with some of the same benefits. Admit it though, without the advent of uber/lyft it never would have happened.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:21 AM

6,783 posts, read 5,089,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoiLavoi View Post
The goal of a P2P system is to eliminate the middlemen. Eliminate or reduce companies like Uber/Lyft, governments, or anyone else in-between the driver and the passenger.

A driver who wants more money might download one of these P2P apps. They would place some info about themselves and their vehicle into the app. The app then broadcasts this info to blockchain nodes. Once a connection between a driver and riders is established, business carries on as usual. Once the ride concludes the passenger grades the driver and a sort of CHESS score is generated to guage the strength of the driver. If the driver gets a low enough score, the nodes will no longer grant him connections or reduce these connections. At no point does a company collect a portion of this fee and later relinquish it to the state.

Decentralized rideshare really becomes interesting once the driver is eliminated for a few reasons such as cost, safety, and liability. Decentralized rideshare won't have "Urgent Support" that Uber has. Basically if an Uber driver deviates from the destination by a large margin, the Uber support team investigates and responds as appropriate. While eliminating this variable isn't absolutely necessary, it would be optimal.

So if I understand correctly, you're suggesting that someday we'll have fleets of autonomous vehicles operating in the underground economy, evading taxes and regulation? One might escape notice on a small scale, as some landscapers and handymen do today. But a large operation will attract too much attention for this to work, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area