Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2020, 01:58 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,425 times

Advertisements

Please, if you do go shooting in the desert, clean up after yourself. I have gone shooting a few times, and I bring plastic trash bags to clean up other people's junk.

It's depressing to see the lack of care sometimes out there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 04:15 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
Please, if you do go shooting in the desert, clean up after yourself. I have gone shooting a few times, and I bring plastic trash bags to clean up other people's junk.

It's depressing to see the lack of care sometimes out there.
Amen, and thank you for doing that.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,602 times
Default Probably not.

Any good places are becoming well guarded secrets, because people tend to ruin them by making huge messes which includes leaving shot up appliances, brass, shotgun shells, old bathtubs and all other manner of trash behind. I have to drive 70-100 miles now thanks to inconsiderate idiots. I am headed for Colorado and will have a trunk full of guns to shoot on their Colorado Game & Fish public ranges, and I mean unsupervised, run by donations, clean, fun & free shooting ranges, but those are in the middle of nowhere, and people from big cities like Denver still tend to ruin those too. The places I know more or less near Phoenix, I am just not willing to share anymore. They keep getting posted "NO TARGET SHOOTING". Sorry man. You can drive past Ben Avery and keep trying every exit of I-17 north of Ben Avery, and maybe by the time you get halfway to Camp Verde, you MIGHT find a dirt road that hasn't been posted NO SHOOTING, NO CAMPING, COOKOUTS, NO KITE FLYING, ATV RIDING, ETC. Good luck. There are a few left, but they keep getting farther and farther and farther away. I have a place out there, but if you have to drive a passenger car, I seriously don't reccommend trying to drive it on that road. You can also try I-10 west of town, maybe Salome Road double back east along the north side of I-10, and then head north up those spillways. That should be BLM land. It's probably posted by now.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:31 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
How has COVID-19 impacted your shooting options? I purchased my first firearm last weekend. Used to make semi-annual trips to Ben Avery for work but they are closed due to the current climate. When I was browsing firearms last weekend both Shooter's World weekend had long lines. Scottsdale Gun Club was closed due to a computer issue. Running delayed errands today but hope to break my purchase in tomorrow. I was only able to get 2 boxes of Federal. Trying to determine if Shooter's World or SCG will be the best option to try. Have a feeling all indoor locations will be slammed with the heat rolling in and people getting anxious with nothing to do. Any alternatives to possibly try?

Old 04-26-2020, 07:54 PM

13,246 posts, read 7,304,105 times
I have been going here only during the week day it's still crowded be careful with bullet ricochets. In the main area it's kind of an L shape it's possible where your shooting to be in straight across from someones targets and the backstop. There are a few other spots up that road where no one else around on the sides of you. If you go on the weekend I would get there before sun up and get a good spot. The road is paved you can get in there with a car but a few of those other spots need a 4WD if you drive up in there or you can park on the road.

https://goo.gl/maps/zbAqqrkDm18o9FSr7

There is another place even smaller up off table mesa road you drive up I-17 then get off on table mesa road go west a car can drive on that road on you left there be a small shooting area. I find this one safer because everyone lines up the same no 90 degree angle type of thing. Weekends will be lot of people there.

https://goo.gl/maps/uTwfyvpUFHtSQXDU9

I mainly use these 2 for testing guns when I plan a big shoot I have a few BLM spots south west towards Gila bend any of those area as long as it's BLM land. You can also go north of I-10 west of Wickenburg any of those areas if you go look at BLM maps. Table mesa area, and black canyon area with exception of that designated area link above is lot of state trust land. You need a permit to even drive into state trust, and target shooting is prohibited you can 4 wheel, and hunt as long as you have the permits. That is why I go out south west and west of Wickenburg all those areas is BLM. I have built up jeep so I can go anywhere.

If you live in the east valley lots of BLM land out that way past AJ but again have to be mindful of National Forrest check with them where you can shoot, and superstition mountains is all off limits to target shooting as far as I know. You can google for interactive BLM map it's kind of a PITA to use. I have a mapping system I paid for on my Ipad it's made for hunting but shows BLM land. Generally if you get far enough down 4WD trail LE isn't going to bother bouncing down a 20-30 miles 4WD trail because someone is target shooting. Just pick everything up after your done most people make a mess, and wreck everything for others with the popularity that RZR's UTV's off-roading the BLM has had lot of problems with people vandalizing and trashing the desert. We have it good here if you live out east everything is mostly private land really can't do any of this stuff.

Also there is Casa Grande public shooting range no control, or charge to get in you just show up and use the range it's nice concrete benches under shade It's managed by the city so check with them if it's open.

If you need ammo check out this place over in Tempe they are mail order but you can pick up if you call them order over the phone arrange to pickup. If you order from their website they still allow pickup but charge you for shipping anyway make sure you call order over the phone.
https://www.trueshotgunclub.com/

Last edited by kell490; 04-26-2020 at 08:14 PM..

Old 05-01-2020, 07:00 AM

139 posts, read 76,605 times
When we lived in the Glendale area, I was a member for many years at the Phoenix Rod & Gun Club. This past Summer, (last July), we moved to Lake Havasu City. And I'm now a member of the Lake Havasu City Sportsman's Club. It's a great place with awesome people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area