Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 11:22 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Sorry to burst your silly narrative, but no, I don’t at all condone vandalism and looting. Again though, if you’re more outraged by damaged property than by systemic racism, you are the problem. This country needs an awakening and it’s not as if peaceful protesting wasn’t attempted.
So, what's YOUR solution to "systematic racism", and how would YOU implement the "awakening"?

Old 05-31-2020, 11:32 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
So, what's YOUR solution to "systematic racism", and how would YOU implement the "awakening"?
In other words, he's looking for a solution which is not possible.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I’m flattered that you think I have all the answers, but I don’t. All I do know is that we need people to finally acknowledge that systemic racism exists and the more attention this issue gets, the more people will open their eyes. Knowledge leads to change. We just watched a black man get gunned down while out on a jog, then a black man was slowly killed in broad daylight while begging for air and for his mother. We saw a black journalist get arrested on live TV. It’s haunting to think about what’s been going on before cellphones were ubiquitous. The more attention these injustices get, the more people become aware of the situation. Maybe the next cop that’s about to use excessive force has a split second thought about not being the one to cause nationwide riots and acts with restraint. It’s time we quit sweeping this under the rug.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czech mate View Post
[mod cut - deleted post]
Don’t put words in my mouth. No I don’t, but I hope your anger about damaged Mercedeses is far less than your anger for murdered Americans at the hands of the police. I think you creating this thread speaks volumes though.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 05-31-2020 at 12:48 PM..

Old 05-31-2020, 11:46 AM

I liked what LA did. They blocked down the roads and sidewalks in the area where the looting and fires occurred. EVERYONE got arrested for curfew violations at the very least, some were found in possession of stolen merchandise as well so theoretically can face additional charges. I realize most of these people were booked and released, but this got them off the streets and their cars got towed ($) so in essence they were punished for their actions.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:50 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
These issues won't disappear until it's possible to more easily fire bad people.
The unions representing government employees make firings difficult.
Politicians don't have the backbone to stand up because they need the votes.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I liked what LA did. They blocked down the roads and sidewalks in the area where the looting and fires occurred. EVERYONE got arrested for curfew violations at the very least, some were found in possession of stolen merchandise as well so theoretically can face additional charges. I realize most of these people were booked and released, but this got them off the streets and their cars got towed ($) so in essence they were punished for their actions.
While the other three cops that sat by as their comrade slowly drained the life out of a citizen are free men. Let that sink in and maybe you’ll begin to understand the disparity.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:53 AM

811 posts, read 622,345 times
DetroitN8V, No one is "sweeping this under the rug." Bad actors are all over and eradicating them and changing a culture takes insurmountable effort and time. Violence needs to be condemned whether it's from bad cops or thugs in the streets.

Since it's such a popular talking point for you please define "systemic racism". I see blacks practicing racism as far more "systemic." Interesting that people like you don't talk a lot about black on black crime? Why is that? Or the black baby genocide that goes on in the U.S.

I would love to see your reaction if you were a small business owner and your property was destroyed. Or if these "righteous protesters" came to your home, threatened you, then burned your house down. A small biz that someone has worked their entire life to build is just as important to them as your home is to you; maybe more.

[mod cut - leave national politics out of this]

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 05-31-2020 at 12:49 PM..

Old 05-31-2020, 11:53 AM

8 posts, read 6,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Don’t put words in my mouth. No I don’t, but I hope your anger about damaged Mercedeses is far less than your anger for murdered Americans at the hands of the police. I think you creating this thread speaks volumes though.
I know this is going to sound crazy, but it IS possible to both care about the murder of Floyd AND not want a bunch of bored teens looking for iPads and makeup destroying my city. Letting this continue is justice for no one. I don't want my city to look anything like Detroit.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
These issues won't disappear until it's possible to more easily fire bad people.
The unions representing government employees make firings difficult.
Politicians don't have the backbone to stand up because they need the votes.
The good news is, it's getting harder and harder for bad police officers to get away with this behavior. Not just with the cell phone cameras that are out there, but most agencies now require officers wear body cameras, so they can be reviewed from many angles. You're not going to be able to stop 100% if the trash from joining the police force but the hope is you can catch the bad behavior early and get them out before it's too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area