Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 09:23 AM

236 posts, read 208,899 times

Advertisements

I see there are 6 Sun City locations in Arizona. Did not know that. Anyone have personal experiences living there? Unable to come out to look but would like to narrow down my searches online. We are looking hopefully to move after December depending on Covid restrictions. We are not just sold on over 55 places yet. Not ready to work with a realtor yet but would take names and suggestions as a private message from them. Do not know exact area yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 09:48 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
I live in the original Sun City.

We have the most to do for the lowest price, but we have the oldest homes, except for about 200 built a couple years ago. Occasionally there is new construction on an old slab. Many people just buy one and completely redo the interior. There are about 27,500 houses and condos to pick from. Price range would be about 100k for a 1 BR condo that needs a lot of work to about 500k for a really nice house on the lakes. Low taxes. We don't live in a school district.

http://suncityaz.org

Old 07-16-2020, 10:22 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,891 times
Sun City is a brand name for Del Webb. Having said that, you need to understand the differences in the communities. The original Sun City was built in the late 1960's through the late 1970's. When that development was built out, they moved west to Sun City West. These two communities are unique in that they are stand alone. Not part of a city or town.

Other Sun City communities include Grand (Surprise), Festival (Buckeye), Anthem (Florence). There is also a small development of homes with Sun City addresses in the Northwest Valley that are not part of the Active Adult communities. Each of these communities has a different HOA, different age requirements and different amenities available and different lifestyle.

Keep in mind that the two original communities are exempt from school taxes, so the property tax bill is much lower.

Bottom line, it depends on your lifestyle, price point and location to determine which is right for you.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:16 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
I live in Sun City West and have been extremely pleased with the amenitites. It's a vibrant community, although Covid has put a real damper on our activities (which is understandable). It's a good location with lots of shopping opportunities within a short distance.

I've done some walking in Sun City. Seems decent, but more dated.

I sometimes drive through Sun City Grand and it seems a bit...not sure what word or phrase to use...cold. Nice properties, though.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:33 PM

421 posts, read 391,502 times
I live in Sun City Festival and we don't have to pay school district taxes just to clear up that point. This development is not built out yet and is located about 12 miles west of the 303 in Surprise off of Bell Road. Festival has a Buckeye address but MUCH closer to downtown Surprise than Buckeye itself.

Obviously a more rural atmosphere and about 3,300 houses currently built out with another approx 1,000 family homes next door with an elementary school located there. I am enjoying the people and the area a lot and glad I moved here a year ago. I would check it out and see what homes they have to offer, either re-sale or new build. Beautifully landscaped area and all homes have great street appeal to offer you a nice setting. The other larger and older Sun City active adult communities have many more clubs etc than Festival but we are a growing area and I'm sure that will change quickly as houses are going up very fast. At build out there should be around 7,500 active adult homes and 3 recreation centers. Currently the second rec center should open in just a couple of months! Check out oursuncityfestival.net

Old 07-16-2020, 08:25 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post
I live in Sun City Festival and we don't have to pay school district taxes just to clear up that point. Check out oursuncityfestival.net
Not to be argumentative, but Sun City Festival Age Restricted residents do in fact pay into the Wickenburg School District. I could post up a copy of a tax bill, but I do not wish to violate someones privacy. (Even though it is public record).

The school taxes are of course based on the assessed value and could be as high as $1000 annually.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:30 PM

576 posts, read 831,592 times
Everyone's situation is different. As stated, it depends on your wants and needs, and your price point. When I was looking 5-6 years ago, I looked at both Sun City and Sun City West. Grand was too expensive, and the others were too far away from the other amenities in the Phoenix metro that I wanted to be close to. For no other reason than finding the house that I wanted, I ended up in Sun City West. I have ZERO regrets! There is so much to do here (over 100 clubs!) and the facilities are top notch and kept that way. Since moving here, I have talked to 3 people that moved from Grand to SCW because of the out of control HOA police in Grand. As someone else mentioned, the original Sun City is a little dated, so I really feel like I landed in the perfect place. But that's me - as I mentioned, everyone is different.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:23 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
Everyone's situation is different. As stated, it depends on your wants and needs, and your price point. When I was looking 5-6 years ago, I looked at both Sun City and Sun City West. Grand was too expensive, and the others were too far away from the other amenities in the Phoenix metro that I wanted to be close to. For no other reason than finding the house that I wanted, I ended up in Sun City West. I have ZERO regrets! There is so much to do here (over 100 clubs!) and the facilities are top notch and kept that way. Since moving here, I have talked to 3 people that moved from Grand to SCW because of the out of control HOA police in Grand. As someone else mentioned, the original Sun City is a little dated, so I really feel like I landed in the perfect place. But that's me - as I mentioned, everyone is different.
Yes, Dewey, I also know people who sold in Grand to move to SCW.

Old 07-17-2020, 11:39 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,727,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post

What do you mean?

Old 07-17-2020, 11:57 AM

576 posts, read 831,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
What do you mean?
The people who enforce the HOA covenants are overzealous from what I have heard. One example I remember was a woman planted flowers along her front sidewalk and the HOA told her she had to remove them because it exceeded the maximum number of plants you can have in your front yard. Kinda like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area