Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 04:22 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,386,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
For me and lot of others, definitely an emphatic no to the bolded words, "good weather". When I lived in this desert city that drys you out quickly it was just far too hot year round, except for 2 months max. I remember a I person who traveled to Scottsdale I met in December when it was 93. They said in a complaining tone, "is it always this hot here?".

Uh yeah, it is hard to be a fan of 90+ degrees at 10 or 11pm or 110+ during the day. It's vacation weather, like Palm Springs or Vegas.

Some positives:

Sure it's a much better summer heat to be in than Texas or southeast but those places do get late afternoon rains and a more comfortable fall & winter.

Phx home prices are relatively cheap.

Low property tax rates
Newer homes
Shopping is abundant. (I still have my Frys card when I pass through)

Things to do in the day or night
Fairly down to earth people (outside of Scottsdale)
No major weather events

So, yeah if you can get past the dry heat and lack of tall green tree areas it's a fine place. I heard living in the higher elevation gets you cooler temps.

is it true a lot of mid-western & Northeastern people are relocating to Phoenix?
well, if you think Phoenix is hot at 93 degrees and only had 2 months of good weather, I hope you have $1 million to buy a shack of a house near the beach in California. Nothing else will work for your particular sensitive body.

Phoenix has 8-9 months of great weather, and 2-3 months of hot but bearable weather if you have a pool, can have occasional get aways up north.

I’ve lived / traveled all over and I would rather have the sunny weather here year round. It seems most buyers agree which is why Phoenix is #1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Climate Change. Places like Phoenix on the upper edge of livability during the summer months.
Climate change will impact each area differently. Rising waters will threaten south and coastal regions. Phoenix might get hotter, or wetter depending on ocean weather patterns. It may be an issue in a few generations, but technology is improving all the time and may come up solutions long term.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
There are also diminishing returns. As Phoenix cost of living continues to skyrocket, more and more people will begin to determine that its not actually worth the cost. It’s absurdly hot, it’s arid and brown, the weather is monotonous at best and oppressive at worst, it has no natural water bodies, its overwhelmingly car dependent with steadily worsening traffic, the education system is generally poor, and the cultural amenities are an after thought. At some point the cost/benefit analysis no longer makes a lot of sense for people with no ties to the area.
The issue is other places have / are sky rocketing in cost more, in comparison to Phoenix. A lot of people don’t see the whole picture, and always think it’s just Phoenix with rising prices. I travel extensively and see other major cities to compare regularly.

Your opinion of the weather and scenery is overly negative and one-sides. I travel to many states and cities and think Phoenix has beautiful scenery and weather in comparison. It’s not San Diego or Seattle but isn’t priced like it either.

You cite car culture as if it’s a bad thing. It’s one of the reasons people are fleeing dense cities and going to the suburbs. This is why Phoenix is attracting people because they can have a high quality of life while still being close to employment hubs.

It’s why outdated and incorrect opinions like yours that are going to miss out on the appreciation of Phoenix. People like you keeping putting down Phoenix and don’t realize that you are not seeing the huge positives and upside of Phoenix, and continue to argue against the trends here making Phoenix #1.

Last edited by AndroidAZ; 08-08-2020 at 04:47 PM..

Old 08-08-2020, 05:01 PM

717 posts, read 1,060,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
The issue is other places have / are sky rocketing in cost more, in comparison to Phoenix. A lot of people don’t see the whole picture, and always think it’s just Phoenix with rising prices. I travel extensively and see other major cities to compare regularly.

Your opinion of the weather and scenery is overly negative and one-sides. I travel to many states and cities and think Phoenix has beautiful scenery and weather in comparison. It’s not San Diego or Seattle but isn’t priced like it either.

You cite car culture as if it’s a bad thing. It’s one of the reasons people are fleeing dense cities and going to the suburbs. This is why Phoenix is attracting people because they can have a high quality of life while still being close to employment hubs.

It’s why outdated and incorrect opinions like yours that are going to miss out on the appreciation of Phoenix.
Those aren't opinions, they're facts. Phoenix is the hottest major city in the United States, and is getting hotter with every passing year. July 2020 was the hottest month in the city's recorded history, with 16 consecutive days where the low did not drop below 90 degrees. Phoenix also averages less than 9 inches of rain per year, and just recently ended a streak of 103 consecutive days without measurable precipitation. It sits in an arid, brown, low desert location surrounded by small, barren hills that locals refer to as mountains. It has no notable bodies of natural water, and the salt river hasn't flowed through phoenix in decades.

Car culture IS a bad thing for many reasons I won't really go into. That said, Phoenix is generally seen as one of the poster cities for irresponsible and unsustainable urban planning. And even if you don't care about the environment, you should care about how it will affect your quality of life over time. LA is also historically a car dependent city and a good example of what happens when the amount of cars on the road exponentially increases over time due to population growth with no viable transportation alternatives.

Oh, and last I saw we were ranked 49 out of 50 in spending per student.

Last edited by Maroon197; 08-08-2020 at 05:11 PM..

Old 08-08-2020, 05:21 PM

2,288 posts, read 1,592,042 times
Quote:
well, if you think Phoenix is hot at 93 degrees and only had 2 months of good weather, I hope you have $1 million to buy a shack of a house near the beach in California. Nothing else will work for your particular sensitive body.

Phoenix has 8-9 months of great weather, and 2-3 months of hot but bearable weather if you have a pool, can have occasional get aways up north.

I’ve lived / traveled all over and I would rather have the sunny weather here year round. It seems most buyers agree which is why Phoenix is #1.

I've also traveled the world too, speak another language, of which neither gives you or I an advantage of who's is right. It's only a subjective.

I agree with you about CA's wacky prices and taking a 2 hour drive north on the 17 in the summer if necessary.

No 800 or1000 sq. ft shacks for me in CA and all the BS you have to put up with there.

Sensitive body? lol. I am outdoors a lot playing a competitive sport in 90+ degree weather. I've done this in some of the most humid places in the US and So. America, so I would say I am a good judge of heat.

Old 08-08-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Those aren't opinions, they're facts. Phoenix is the hottest major city in the United States, and is getting hotter with every passing year. July 2020 was the hottest month in the city's recorded history, with 16 consecutive days where the low did not drop below 90 degrees. Phoenix also averages less than 9 inches of rain per year, and just recently ended a streak of 103 consecutive days without measurable precipitation. It sits in an arid, brown, low desert location surrounded by small, barren hills that locals refer to as mountains. It has no notable bodies of natural water, and the salt river hasn't flowed through phoenix in decades.

Car culture IS a bad thing for many reasons I won't really go into. That said, Phoenix is generally seen as one of the poster cities for irresponsible and unsustainable urban planning. And even if you don't care about the environment, you should care about how it will affect your quality of life over time. LA is also historically a car dependent city and a good example of what happens when the amount of cars on the road exponentially increases over time due to population growth with no viable transportation alternatives.

Oh, and last I saw we were ranked 49 out of 50 in spending per student.
Hmmm you might want to try harder with your negative portrayals of Phoenix.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...mer/701892002/ (Hottest state in the U.S. this summer? It's not Arizona. Here's why)

If you hate Phoenix so much, why are you in the Phoenix forum? Every place has its negatives and Phoenix is no exception. Despite that, more people seem to prefer Phoenix over other cities, as the article cites.

I’m not sure why you keep posting in this place about how bad it is. If it is so bad, have you moved already? Why still hang around here?

I hate the Bay Area, but I don’t waste my time in the Nor Cal forum arguing with people about how bad it is. A lot of people love it... more power to them.

Fact is, Phoenix is a rising star because more people see the good as a whole, that’s despite the negativity people like you try to post. People are not fools...they know it’s hot here in summer. I don’t tell people water is wet either.

Arguing about this doesn’t change the fact that Phoenix is the preferred destination for most people.

Old 08-08-2020, 05:54 PM

2,288 posts, read 1,592,042 times
Quote:
Hmmm you might want to try harder with your negative portrayals of Phoenix.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...mer/701892002/ (Hottest state in the U.S. this summer? It's not Arizona. Here's why)

If you hate Phoenix so much, why are you in the Phoenix forum? Every place has its negatives and Phoenix is no exception. Despite that, more people seem to prefer Phoenix over other cities, as the article cites.

I’m not sure why you keep posting in this place about how bad it is. If it is so bad, have you moved already? Why still hang around here?

I hate the Bay Area, but I don’t waste my time in the Nor Cal forum arguing with people about how bad it is. A lot of people love it... more power to them.

Fact is, Phoenix is a rising star because more people see the good as a whole, that’s despite the negativity people like you try to post. People are not fools...they know it’s hot here in summer. I don’t tell people water is wet either.

Arguing about this doesn’t change the fact that Phoenix is the preferred destination for most people.
No. It is not the most preferred due to people moving in. It is most affordable in these people.

The facts are Phoenix is the hottest city in the USA year round. Only the mojave might be hotter. You can call it sunshine while the majority call it heat. Other facts are Phx has a lot of people leaving too once they experience the unrelenting heat.

If you post something be ready to discuss it instead of asking people to not post in your city thread. You made the outrageous claim of "most preferred" city. Gotta have the stomach to discuss relevant facts.

Last edited by frankrj; 08-08-2020 at 06:18 PM..

Old 08-08-2020, 06:20 PM

6,407 posts, read 9,008,601 times
Quote:
Other facts are Phx has a lot of people leaving too once they experience the unrelenting heat.
Facts, eh? As of 7/7 I have been here a decade and people keep coming. No doubt people move away (for any variety of reasons) but I would wager the number of incoming residents blows the outgoing residents away.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I've also traveled the world too, speak another language, of which neither gives you or I an advantage of who's is right. It's only a subjective.

I agree with you about CA's wacky prices and taking a 2 hour drive north on the 17 in the summer if necessary.

No 800 or1000 sq. ft shacks for me in CA and all the BS you have to put up with there.

Sensitive body? lol. I am outdoors a lot playing a competitive sport in 90+ degree weather. I've done this in some of the most humid places in the US and So. America, so I would say I am a good judge of heat.
So then why would you overly exaggerate and say Phoenix only has 2 months of good weather? Your credibility goes out the door when you say crazy things like that.

I'm not here to convince you that you are wrong. I don't have to. The fact that more people are looking at Phoenix as a place to live says it all.

Look, I'm here to tell other people, who will listen to someone that travels frequently and has good insight on the relative pros can cons of most major cities, especially on the west coast, that Phoenix is a highly desirable place to live, and buy in for the long run, because prices here will rise.

How often did you travel to other places prior to the pandemic? I traveled weekly, as I have zero work / job ties to Phoenix. All my business is elsewhere. I travel up and down the country, and from west to coast, on a weekly basis. I don't know many people who traveled as much as I do. I have spent over $1 million over the last 15 years traveling the US for my business / work, more than most people have made during that time. I know what I'm talking about.

Despite this fact, and that I can live anywhere if I choose, I picked Phoenix. I still pick Phoenix, even though I could easily move to any other city if I wish. There are so many reasons Phoenix is superior to most other places I visit, it's hard to list them and quantify them all. Yet I still see the same, old, tired rubbish from those people who are not as well traveled as I am, nor have lived in as many other places like I have. They just don't appreciate the underlying attractions that Phoenix has, despite the rest of the country seeing it.

How many people wish they bought property in San Diego or Los Angeles when homes were averaging $300k? That is no longer possible.

What I'm telling others is, Phoenix is still a tremendous opportunity to buy in relatively cheaply, don't be fooled by the naysayers who have a narrow and negative vision of Arizona, or you will miss out.

Last edited by AndroidAZ; 08-08-2020 at 07:07 PM..

Old 08-08-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
No. It is not the most preferred due to people moving in. It is most affordable in these people.

The facts are Phoenix is the hottest city in the USA year round. Only the mojave might be hotter. You can call it sunshine while the majority call it heat. Other facts are Phx has a lot of people leaving too once they experience the unrelenting heat.

If you post something be ready to discuss it instead of asking people to not post in your city thread. You made the outrageous claim of "most preferred" city. Gotta have the stomach to discuss relevant facts.
Wow, you really need to stop stretching your fantasy. Saying it's only good weather for 2 months out of the year, because it's the hottest pace year round?? Outrageous.

We get that you don't like Phoenix...fine. Don't hang out here, stop posting here. It won't do you any good to keep posting the same tired arguments.

And Phoenix is the most affordable? Are you sure? Albuquerque, New Mexico is way cheaper than Phoenix, or Milwaukee, or Detroit, or Mississippi. Phoenix is no where on the list of the top 10 cheapest destinations in the US. So another exaggeration that is completely false.

We get that Phoenix is not for you. It doesn't change the fact that Phoenix is the 5th largest metro in the US, and the #1 destination for people right now. Move on and live wherever you like, I don't think your incorrect opinion is going to sway those all those people.

Aside from that, if you have a better place to pick to live in, go ahead and share it with us. I'm sure many of us who travel a lot and see many places, would find it fascinating that you've discovered some place that is way better than Phoenix that we never knew of, and we will all pick up our homes / families and move there. If you have the power to produce such a place, I'm sure it will be on the #1 list pretty soon, right? Surely all of us looking at the best places to live who pick Phoenix are wrong, because you are the only one who is right?

Last edited by AndroidAZ; 08-08-2020 at 07:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area