Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 07:00 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,287,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
my kids do much more than.. are you serious??
You sound like a teenager yourself.
It was in response to this quote, by you (the only of your dozen paragraphs I read):

"You know baseball and football are sports with bursts of speed but little endurance. Basketball, my former sport, is all endurance".

Try putting on 10 pounds of pads, going to practice and running 20 minutes of conditioning sprints, burpees and then head out to your Oklahoma drills and 2 hours of practice and tell me again it's "little endurance". The entire point of everything I said is that people with choices move here for year round sports, whereas you say you can't handle being outside 8 months a year ("8 months of Summer").

Tell me which are the months that are NOT Summer where you can handle going outside? Clearly Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb. How about March with an average high of 75? April with average high of 85? October is usually very nice here as well, usually parts of May. Well we're getting really close to 8 months of beautiful weather, aren't we? Don't project your inability to hack it in 75+ degree weather onto others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 07:24 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,589,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
It was in response to this quote, by you (the only of your dozen paragraphs I read):

"You know baseball and football are sports with bursts of speed but little endurance. Basketball, my former sport, is all endurance".

Try putting on 10 pounds of pads, going to practice and running 20 minutes of conditioning sprints, burpees and then head out to your Oklahoma drills and 2 hours of practice and tell me again it's "little endurance". The entire point of everything I said is that people with choices move here for year round sports, whereas you say you can't handle being outside 8 months a year ("8 months of Summer").

Tell me which are the months that are NOT Summer where you can handle going outside? Clearly Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb. How about March with an average high of 75? April with average high of 85? October is usually very nice here as well, usually parts of May. Well we're getting really close to 8 months of beautiful weather, aren't we? Don't project your inability to hack it in 75+ degree weather onto others.
Coach, coach, coach. Putting on pads?
believe it not we do resistance training, sprints, burpees, lots of ab work mountain climber abs, scissor sit ups, plyo high jumps, planks, alternating one-hand planks, squats, lunges, and so much more core exercises. Different days will have different specific body workouts. If you don't know the sport, please don't comment as if you know how we train or what we don't do. Pro basketball, pro soccer (futbol) & tennis players are some of best conditioned athletes worldwide. We all know the stereotypes of baseball players if you're not an outfielder or a shortstop.

I never said I can't handle 90 deg. temps. I've done 105 temps in humid FL recently. I said I choose not to anymore. The sport simply is not enjoyable out in 100 deg. anymore.
8 months of beautiful weather in Phx? lol, never in any common sense person's dreams.

Using avgs from pre-2000 won't make the present temp. history better. That data no longer represents the true climate change temps of the last 10-15 yrs. in AZ. Add 10 to 15 degrees to everything you typed.

Last edited by frankrj; 08-10-2020 at 07:45 PM..

Old 08-10-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj

Using avgs from pre-2000 won't make the present temp. history better. That data no longer represents the true climate change temps of the last 10-15 yrs. in AZ. Add 10 to 15 degrees to everything you typed.
Link?

The rest of your post is off topic and I'm not some noob to elite sports training, the entire point is you were complaining you "can't go outside" between 11-5 8 months a year and you're an "outdoor athlete" lol. Glad you now admit you CAN handle it after your conditioning is called into question.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:56 PM

811 posts, read 623,572 times
Really expected one of you to volunteer how much you can bench press.

Very disappointing.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Really expected one of you to volunteer how much you can bench press.

Very disappointing.
Ha! I'm not the one claiming to be an athlete, I'm merely pointing out that the weather IS one of the benefits of the PHX area and you CAN exert energy outside even in the Summer (unless you're not fit). Like I said earlier, it's not Orange County weather, but it's better than most. And try doing outdoor activities in some areas with all of their inclement weather. Nope

Old 08-10-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Link?

The rest of your post is off topic and I'm not some noob to elite sports training, the entire point is you were complaining you "can't go outside" between 11-5 8 months a year and you're an "outdoor athlete" lol. Glad you now admit you CAN handle it after your conditioning is called into question.
My point was most people don't do outdoor sports for extended periods of time in Phoenix when it's 90+, which was my experience for 7-8 months of each year back when the Cardinals were in the SB. I'll end it here.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
My point was most people don't do outdoor sports for extended periods of time in Phoenix when it's 90+, which was my experience for 7-8 months of each year back when the Cardinals were in the SB. I'll end it here.
Very good, you'd be incorrect however in regards to today (not counting pandemic). We've had trouble securing fields, there's so much demand and yes most fields don't allow rental until 4:30 or 5 through the City of Chandler, which is why you don't see people out there at 3 (also kids are in school, adults at work). Believe me, this is a year round sports/outdoors city with some precautions the hottest few months, which is why I brought up the major leaguers- they want that for their kids and flat out mention that as a reason for being here.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Very good, you'd be incorrect however in regards to today (not counting pandemic). We've had trouble securing fields, there's so much demand and yes most fields don't allow rental until 4:30 or 5 through the City of Chandler, which is why you don't see people out there at 3 (also kids are in school, adults at work). Believe me, this is a year round sports/outdoors city with some precautions the hottest few months, which is why I brought up the major leaguers- they want that for their kids and flat out mention that as a reason for being here.
I believe you about the major leaguers and it being a baseball town. Much like NYC people are into baseball when I lived there. I stopped following Baseball once that Yankees & BoSox great teams were dismantled.

this is off-topic but parents should be aware that kids grow up and once they're a teen they choose their own path instead of their parent's preferred sports profession for them. It happens. I know. I wish the best for anyone's kids.

By the way, ---> record for most consecutive days above 110 https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoenix-area/3185522-most-days-above-110-set-today.html
UV index is important too.
is 110 and dry better than 95 and humid? Population numbers say yes.

I was looking at MSA populations, not by city so I was incorrect earlier.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population
Phx is the 5th largest city. Although it is spread out at 517 sq mi.
Apologies if I offended anyone. It was a difficult period when I was there.

If I had to be in the Phoenix metro, it would be in Carefree or Anthem.

The drives we took north on I-17 were awesome once past Prescott.

Ya'll take care now.

Last edited by frankrj; 08-11-2020 at 06:29 AM..

Old 08-11-2020, 06:36 AM

811 posts, read 623,572 times
Love these ego battles. Always interesting to read how confident some of these bloviators are... until they have to backtrack and eat crow.

The Valley of the Sun is a wonderful place. People come and people go but I've lived here my entire life and have no intentions of making anywhere else base camp. The secret to dealing with the urban heat island effect is to live outside the city.

Duh.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:35 AM

13,848 posts, read 8,066,944 times
About the landscape. Irrigation systems are fairly simply to setup and there are plenty of attractive/colorful plants to choose from.

I live off Recker and University (85205 zip) and no HOA. Unfortunately all it takes is a few homeowners not to maintain their front yard to ruin the block.

I've call the city of Mesa to report one owner whose front yard looked like a dying, dusty, brown jungle. The summer months kill almost everything if not watered.

Yet, if I walk just three blocks I'm in a very nice area where the landscapes are attractive. And the homes much more expensive

Too bad residents don't understand if everyone maintained their front lawn the neighborhood would benefit greatly.

Last edited by john3232; 08-11-2020 at 09:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area