Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 10:41 AM

17 posts, read 22,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I'd try Albuquerque first and see if that fits the bill. Wait until the housing bubble ends, then check back.
Might be a good idea. I was also looking into El Paso!

Last edited by eman12771; 07-14-2021 at 11:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 10:50 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,369,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman12771 View Post
Mind be a good idea. I was also looking into El Paso!
If you don't mind crime then Albuquerque might be okay.

Quote:
[b]Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
With a crime rate of 71 per one thousand residents, Albuquerque has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 14.

[b]Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Crime in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Crime is ranked on a scale of 1 (low crime) to 100 (high crime) Albuquerque violent crime is 51.0. (The US average is 22.7) Albuquerque property crime is 85.3. (The US average is 35.4) NOTE: Click on the links below to see charts for each crime category. Violent Crimes - Murder Rape Robbery Assault.

Last edited by Yac; 07-20-2021 at 11:02 PM..

Old 07-14-2021, 10:57 AM

298 posts, read 304,542 times
Have you looked into Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage area? Its really nice there as well. I think its the same type of weather as Phoenix. We had relatives that lived in the Phoenix area. I remember they didn't like the scorpions. They said the scorpions were a real issue and rattlers in their garage and driveway. Just something to think about...

Old 07-14-2021, 11:02 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCarFamily View Post
Have you looked into Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage area? Its really nice there as well. I think its the same type of weather as Phoenix. We had relatives that lived in the Phoenix area. I remember they didn't like the scorpions. They said the scorpions were a real issue and rattlers in their garage and driveway. Just something to think about...
LOL, does anyone like scorpions? They're easily controlled and it doesn't sound like this guy is interested in living in the outskirts where they can be primarily found. Palm Springs is a good suggestion.

Old 07-14-2021, 02:56 PM

994 posts, read 972,711 times
I was once in your state of mind like many have been. Tired of the crappy winter weather where you live while seeing no opportunity where you currently live , and longing for a change of scenery , weather and life overall. Phoenix was a dream of mine for a few years and I've been here for almost 8 months. The summer heat isnt my thing anymore , but I will say the job opportunities here are plentiful in certain careers. I'll be going back to SC for a mild 4 seasons rather than just summer and a chilly spring. Just a perspective to think about if weather is the main factor. Phoenix heat = Oven.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:08 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,748,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I was once in your state of mind like many have been. Tired of the crappy winter weather where you live while seeing no opportunity where you currently live , and longing for a change of scenery , weather and life overall. Phoenix was a dream of mine for a few years and I've been here for almost 8 months. The summer heat isnt my thing anymore , but I will say the job opportunities here are plentiful in certain careers. I'll be going back to SC for a mild 4 seasons rather than just summer and a chilly spring. Just a perspective to think about if weather is the main factor. Phoenix heat = Oven.
Sorry can't help but chuckle at the comment that you can't take the Phoenix heat anymore after 8 full months here. I was thinking you were going to say 8 years or 18 years. I'm on year 20 but wouldn't go anywhere else.

Best of look back in SC, by the way is that Southern California or South Carolina?

Old 07-14-2021, 07:48 PM

994 posts, read 972,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Sorry can't help but chuckle at the comment that you can't take the Phoenix heat anymore after 8 full months here. I was thinking you were going to say 8 years or 18 years. I'm on year 20 but wouldn't go anywhere else.

Best of look back in SC, by the way is that Southern California or South Carolina?
South Carolina. There's more reason for the move than just the heat. For someone that doesn't do much strenuous activity outside they will probably be fine here.

Old 07-15-2021, 06:22 AM

30,539 posts, read 19,288,082 times
Quote:
South Carolina. There's more reason for the move than just the heat. For someone that doesn't do much strenuous activity outside they will probably be fine here.
Lived a few few years in Greenville, SC and enjoyed it immensely, I would consider retiring there if it wasn't so far from my kids and grand kids in Seattle and Phoenix. That Greenville climate is a mildish 4 season climate that is pretty bearable. I love it here in Phoenix but I agree with many of the posters sentiment that at some price point, it's just too expensive to justify moving to Phoenix.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:01 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,748,168 times
Quote:
I bike about 4,000 miles per year, spend about 2 hours 4 days per week outside here either in the morning or evenings all summer long. I'm not sure what you mean by strenuous but I'd consider climbing the trails around the mountain preserves pretty strenuous.

My only experience in SC was last summer on a beach trip with friends, the combination of heat/humidity crushed my soul. I did last about 45 minutes but thanks to a recent hurricane or tropical the single-track was chalk full of debris from the trees. Wasn't a fan of all the snakes either, not sure what they are but they move a helluva lot faster than any rattler or gopher snake I've ran into here.

But glad you've found what works for you, I know PHX isn't for everyone and it's interesting to me how people evaluate it versus other places.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:35 PM

30,539 posts, read 19,288,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I bike about 4,000 miles per year, spend about 2 hours 4 days per week outside here either in the morning or evenings all summer long. I'm not sure what you mean by strenuous but I'd consider climbing the trails around the mountain preserves pretty strenuous.

My only experience in SC was last summer on a beach trip with friends, the combination of heat/humidity crushed my soul. I did last about 45 minutes but thanks to a recent hurricane or tropical the single-track was chalk full of debris from the trees. Wasn't a fan of all the snakes either, not sure what they are but they move a helluva lot faster than any rattler or gopher snake I've ran into here.

But glad you've found what works for you, I know PHX isn't for everyone and it's interesting to me how people evaluate it versus other places.
Yeah you can bike here so much more than most places. I can bike in decent weather for over twice as many days here in Phoenix than where I was living in eastern Washington state before moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area