Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 12:53 PM

9 posts, read 22,689 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon,

My wife and I are considering Desert Mountain as a full time retirement spot. We love to golf and as I get older I do want to be in a gated community where I feel safe. The only downfall appears to be the overall price tag of the community as its a lot more expensive than the midwest but we can also see why.

If anyone either currently lives there or has lived there please chime in. Additionally, if you have ever visited DM and can talk about your experiences that would be helpful as well.

We want to be active and part of it is also appears to be a great way to meet people as we like gofling, pickleball etc.

For the most part are people nice and accepting of new members?

Any feedback will be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 01:41 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Don't you still have to be voted in to buy property out there? Biggest downfall would be it is a LONG way from anything.

Old 01-10-2022, 01:52 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
I'm not sure about the voting in thing, but I agree about it being a long way from anything. It takes quite a while to drive down to North Scottsdale from Desert Mountain.

Desert Mountain is 7 miles from the nearest grocery store (unless Cave Creek now has something since I left the area). AJ's Fine Foods is a great store, though pricier than others in the area. Beyond that, it's a loooooong way into even north Scottsdale from there, but if you don't venture out much and only shop once a week you'd probably be ok with it.

You'd probably be ok socially since you like to golf. People out West are more impersonal than in other areas, but like I said golf (and the club) is a built-in social thing.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:28 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Desert Mountain is a huge community of over 2000 homes on 8300 acres. It is a city unto itself. It is a wonderful upscale community, if you can afford to live there.

Things I like about Desert Mountain: Great property and resale values. Loads of amenities like golf (7 courses), tennis, pickle ball, swimming pool, on site dining and clubhouses. Many communities within DM are double gated. Strict desert landscaping and natural beauty.

Things I do not like about DM: Huge percentage of owners as second (or 3rd home) owners and part time occupants. Not a friendly community at all. That doesn't mean people aren't friendly, they are not easily accessible. They are busy people not a retirement atmosphere. Very costly fee structure that you must maintain even if you don't use the facilities. Long drive to other parts of town for outside activities.

Personally if I was looking for a retirement community in N. Scottsdale, I would consider Terravita. Not nearly as upscale as DM, but far more friendly and loads of activities, clubs, and social groups. High percentage of retirees from the Midwest and east. Your retirement will be more enjoyable. Alternately consider Bellasera.

Last edited by AZJoeD; 01-11-2022 at 10:01 AM..

Old 01-11-2022, 09:55 AM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Things I do not like about DM: Huge percentage of owners as second (or 3rd home) owners and part time occupants. Not a friendly community at all. That doesn't mean people aren't friendly, they are not easily accessible. They are busy people not a retirement atmosphere. Very costly fee structure that you must maintain even if you don't use the facilities. Long drive to other parts of town for outside activities.

Personally if I was looking for a retirement community in N. Scottsdale, I would consider Terravita. Not nearly as upscale as DM, but far more friendly and loads of activities, clubs, and social groups. High percentage of retirees from the Midwest and east. Your retirement will be more enjoyable. Alternately consider Bellasera.
I was going to write that, but I didn't want to be a Debbie Downer right off the bat. You'd run into people walking their dogs (or the dog walker), or driving their golf cart to the club. In modern times, people don't come out of their homes, especially in an upscale gated community in the West.

Good suggestions, AZJoe.

Old 01-12-2022, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I'm not sure about the voting in thing, but I agree about it being a long way from anything.
<snip>
Per the Desert Mountain Website...you have to be accepted as a member of the club before you can purchase property:

Please note that all properties within the Seven Desert Mountain community are deed-restricted to include the requirement of membership to Desert Mountain Club. Buyers must submit a membership application and receive an invitation to join Desert Mountain Club before a non-refundable deposit on a home purchase can be accepted by the homebuilder. All Seven Desert Mountain sales agents are required to conduct a complete amenity & community tour with their clients who are ready to purchase before the Club will send along the membership contingency addendum. As a reminder, a purchase contract of a Seven Desert Mountain property may not be considered “pending” nor may a deposit be considered non-refundable until the membership application approval release is completed by the Club and sent to all parties involved in the sales process, inclusive and most importantly to the title company.

Old 01-12-2022, 03:11 PM

55 posts, read 48,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Per the Desert Mountain Website...you have to be accepted as a member of the club before you can purchase property

Isn't that special, good grief.

Old 01-13-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert88 View Post
Isn't that special, good grief.
Keeping the riff raff out Of course if you can afford the $3M+ to live up there...the $85k initiation fee to the "Club" shouldn't be an issue, right?

Old 01-13-2022, 03:44 PM

55 posts, read 48,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Keeping the riff raff out Of course if you can afford the $3M+ to live up there...the $85k initiation fee to the "Club" shouldn't be an issue, right?
Nothing to do with the cost of the "initiation fee". And at that price range, I suppose in the eyes of many, the "riff raff" are kept out. Though I can tell you living in "upscale communities", money doesn't buy decency or takes away "riff raff". I promise you. Money is often overrated in regards to it equating in any way shape or form to the quality of a person's character.

In the end, I'm a fan of free markets. Have the $$$ to buy a home? You buy. Get a copy of the HOA rules, sign away to agree. And follow them. No like HOA rules, don't want to play by those rules? You walk, don't sign/buy. That's it.

The part that gets me is the requirement of a meeting before one can even purchase a property. Based on my understanding, it appears to me one has to pass some test to require a face to face meeting to live in a given community? In my view, something sits a bit ugly to me on many levels with that.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert88 View Post
<snip>

The part that gets me is the requirement of a meeting before one can even purchase a property. Based on my understanding, it appears to me one has to pass some test to require a face to face meeting to live in a given community? In my view, something sits a bit ugly to me on many levels with that.
Agreed...and not trying to defend it in any way but...it is legal and the way they set things up in Desert Mountain. Private community with deed restricted properties and the members/committee gets to decide who they let in.

Personally, if I had a $4M-$5M budget...I wouldn't want to live around ANYONE, spend considerably less on a cabin in the mountains and invest everything else. But, some people thrive on prestige and a "Look at me" attitude. Definitely would not want to live around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: