Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,559 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating from LA to PHX in June and just started the process of looking for a place to live. I have spent a great deal of time on this site reading the posts. From what I have been able to ascertain, given our price range ($300-$400K), we should consider either the North East Valley, Chandler/Gilbert or the Biltmore area. We are DINK's and looking for communities that have a young proffessional feel (late 20's and 30's).

I am left with two questions: First, I have come across the "magic" area code of 85254 but have found no information as to whether that is good area to purchase a home. Anyone out there have any insight? Second, should we consider looking at Peoria and Glendale?

It is interesting to read the many posts from those that despise Phoenix. What is more striking are the inumerable similarities between LA and Phoenix. From Urban Planning and Sprawl to Traffic and Crime. Despite the similarities it is exciting to know that in Phoenix, unlike LA, we can actually afford to buy a home close to the downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 08:20 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,172,187 times
85254 is an EXCELLANT area. It's Scottsdale...Tatum to 68th st (that I know of) and somewhere either cactus, or shea up to bell-union hills? However, the starting price in that area is $400k for a small, not remodelled home.

CA people move here in herds because of it's similiarities and affordable housing (to them anyway).

I would look in northern areas of peoria and glendale for sure, there are very nice areas there.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:41 PM

25 posts, read 108,725 times
How long of a commute is it from those 2 areas, Peoria and Glendale, to 28th and Camelback Road? What are the zip codes of the nice areas you are referring to in both those areas as well?

Old 01-08-2007, 08:09 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodson View Post
How long of a commute is it from those 2 areas, Peoria and Glendale, to 28th and Camelback Road? What are the zip codes of the nice areas you are referring to in both those areas as well?
From some areas of Peoria and west Glendale you’re looking at 45-60 min of driving in rush hour traffic to 28th st. and Camelback area. The most direct routes also would be surface streets (non-freeway) that run east/west for the most part and the traffic pattern tends to “backup” whenever you have to cross the I-17 (Black Canyon) that runs n/s.

The further “north side” of Peoria and Glendale you can take the 101 loop over to the 51 that will take you down to Camelback. Here again these freeways backup and stop at times delaying traffic. You may be looking at 60+ minutes on the freeway.

Zip codes in the Peoria/ Glendale area of the "north" side are: 85381,85382,85306 & 85308.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:11 AM

You can check 85310, 85308, 85382.

Peoria is a drive, about an hour in traffic. Glendale is about 45+ mins or so.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
From some areas of Peoria and west Glendale you’re looking at 45-60 min of driving in rush hour traffic to 28th st. and Camelback area. The most direct routes also would be surface streets (non-freeway) that run east/west for the most part and the traffic pattern tends to “backup” whenever you have to cross the I-17 (Black Canyon) that runs n/s.

The further “north side” of Peoria and Glendale you can take the 101 loop over to the 51 that will take you down to Camelback. Here again these freeways backup and stop at times delaying traffic. You may be looking at 60+ minutes on the freeway.

Zip codes in the Peoria/ Glendale area of the "north" side are: 85381,85382,85306 & 85308.
Yep, I NEVER take the freeway to and from work, except on Fridays!

Old 01-08-2007, 08:27 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,898,206 times
Default I-17 Black Canyon Fwy is trouble!

I think it’s worth pointing out as I don’t believe I’ve seen any comment on it.

If you work in the metro valley, live in or near that area if possible. If you work in the east side of Phoenix like 28th street and Camelback then try to live in the east side. Also in like if you work in the west side of the metro valley try and live there as well. One of the BIGGEST problems will occur when you try and drive east/west and “cross” the I-17 (Black Canyon Rd) that runs n/s cutting the valley in half. This is the area that while on city surface streets going east or west you can be delayed for as much as 15+ minutes just waiting to continue to go straight ahead on the city street waiting for other traffic to turn on or off of the Blackcanyon freeway. This happens at most every city street that will cross the I-17 Black Canyon freeway.

I believe it is much easier to travel anywhere within the area of the city if you don’t have to cross that I-17. Thus living “north” (zip 85254) of 28th & Camelback is better then living “west” of the I-17 and crossing it twice each workday.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:09 AM

I do have to cross I-17, but I travel south on 35th ave from Pinnacle Peak all the way down to Northern and then cross over the freeway. It's not bad at all down there (granted it's close to 9am by then). After work is a different story. I go up 7th st (as I work on 7th) up to Deer Valley and then get on the freeway (or frontage rd) to Pinnacle Peak or Happy Valley.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:55 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,282,161 times
Speaking as a former realtor in Scottsdale now living in Austin, TX...there is a certain realty company that coined 85254 the "magic" zip code because that's where they do the lion's share of their business. I think they tried to make it seem like "the" happening place to buy in Scottsdale. Indeed, it is a great area, but if you're looking for a slightly newer home, I would check out the Desert Ridge and Tatum Ranch/Cave Creek areas. You'll have good freeway access to the 101 loop and 51. PM me if you have questions about that specific area...I lived there for 4 years and just moved out.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:40 PM

18 posts, read 82,953 times
Civman, have you visited PHX yet? Are you now trying to pinpoint areas you want to concentrate on in your house hunt? You mention you are interested in "young professional" feel? Are you looking for new construction or is an older house okay? Answering those questions will greatly narrow your search. Poster gigi927 is correct, that "magic zip code" thing is a marketing strategy for a local realtor. The area they push is nice, but I think you may find it a bit too family-oriented (read: kids, lots of them).
Also, I, like many posters in this forum, STRONGLY suggest that you try to target your house hunt in areas that are not too far from your employment. Coming from LA you are undoubtedly thinking you are used to traffic, so maybe that is not such a big deal, you would think. Think again. UGH!
Not too many people on this forum seem to mention Tempe (85281,85282,85283), or if they do, they give it a bad rap. Not sure why. For things to do, it sure beats many, many other areas of the valley. Proximity to a major university, IMHO, is a plus. Many may beg to differ, but to each their own. I think for "young professionals", it sure has a lot to offer! And it is still relatively affordable.
Good luck with your house search and relocation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area