Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:28 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,307,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
LOLOLOLOLOLOL az river! you forgot y'all look alike!

Seriously, at some level, every city has its own level of racism. I would not consider phoenix/scottsdale to be one although I can see how one would think so due to its very cookie cutter, white suburbian nature!
Dude, you laugh but I'm not exaggerating. That really did happen there. My jaw dropped because I couldn't believe people were that ignorant. I'm so glad to be near the west coast. I'm not saying Phoenix is this liberal and open-minded mecca but they at least people in Phoenix have enough sense to recognize it's not polite to ask these questions.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:47 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,437,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Dude, you laugh but I'm not exaggerating. That really did happen there. My jaw dropped because I couldn't believe people were that ignorant. I'm so glad to be near the west coast. I'm not saying Phoenix is this liberal and open-minded mecca but they at least people in Phoenix have enough sense to recognize it's not polite to ask these questions.
AZriver, I believe you...and I wasn't kidding either about y'all look the same comment! I look at that as more of "ignorance" rather than racism though. But believe me, I am with you on this one, babe!

Old 06-30-2008, 12:06 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,307,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
AZriver, I believe you...and I wasn't kidding either about y'all look the same comment! I look at that as more of "ignorance" rather than racism though. But believe me, I am with you on this one, babe!
I think it's racist. I don't think someone is that stupid that they can't distinguish appearances. They just want to be a-holes by generalizing and making a crude comment that "yall look alike" When someone tells them they were born and raised in the United States and then are still asked why they speak English with an American accent, that is not ignorance, that is them trying to somehow belittle them or put them down for being a different race. To me, it's just their approach that is bothersome. They are not seeking ways to find things in common. Instead they are trying to find ways to distinguish you from them which is why people in the south are enamored with race and love to find differences instead of common aspects. Not all racism is guys wearing white sheets and swastikas

Old 06-30-2008, 12:13 PM

477 posts, read 1,583,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anewday4me View Post
I am moving to Scottsdale with my 2 year old granddaughter. She
is half black, a quarter Mexican, a quarter white. I am white. I have
been reading a lot about racism in Phoenix and there is a dislike for Hispanics. Also, that there are no blacks in the area. Some people here in California where I live have told me that it is not a good move for her. I have looked at photos of daycare facilities and they are all blue eyed blondes.
I am looking for some input on tolerance in the area. Will she have problems in the community because her grandmother is white and she is black? I am concerned I made a mistake moving. I just had no idea
that Arizona was not a racially tolerant state and seen as red neck. Is this a true perception?
You and your grandaughter will be fine...My kids are mixed and we haven't had any outright problems. Of course anywhere you live there will be some questionable looks and confusion. Most of the time people are commenting to me about how beautiful my kids are (not bragging here) but sometimes I take the stares personal. But, you dont really know what people are thinking and they NEVER say anything negative. Sometimes I wonder if we don't have more friends because we are an interracial family but, then again the friends we do have are all that matter! I really wouldnt be too concerned!

Old 06-30-2008, 03:55 PM

419 posts, read 1,525,834 times
I think the blurred line comes when people here Spanish being spoken. I've seen my in-laws receive looks from people when they speak Spanish to each other. Sometimes people act surprised to hear my wife speaking English.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:34 AM

837 posts, read 2,335,877 times
Only racism I've experienced here in AZ has been from Hispanics. I don't take it personal, just think they like to stick to their own.
Scottsdalions are more money orientated. You'll get frowned uppon more if your driving a piece-o-crap car than you would if your a minority....lol

Old 07-01-2008, 01:33 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,354,068 times
Does racism exist? Sure does. Just not as open and blatant as it used to be back when it was allowed to run rampant.
Ever since the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the changes that came with that, people seem to be more careful about how they say and do things. That's basically it.
Its unfortunate, but until most of them old racist beliefs (or old racists) die away, there are some things which will remain the same.
For instance, American Hispanics don't like being compared to or lumped in with the illegal situation, but there are many stupid people that will do that anyway, due to ignorance.
But then, isn't that what racism really is? Ignorance!
The good news is that people in general do seem to be more willing and/or careful about how they say and do things. Too bad it took a whole movement and legislation in order to bring this about.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 10,031 times
I am African American ,been here in Phoenix Az for seven years.
Was ready to move After one year here, my wife beg me to stay on.Now we are off to Atlanta Ga.
It;s horrible here for African Americans ( pop 5.3 Percent )The Mexican Are racist toward us and some white peoples are OK.
Please take it from me don't come. P.S. Diversity is only for Mexicans

Old 12-14-2008, 03:42 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,151,032 times
Suffice to say I live in Scottsdale and I am White. The surgeon who repaired my nasty hernia (properly I may add) is a Black man also based out of Scottsdale.

As for 'racism' I almost got into it with 4 punk kids (unsure of their race/ethnicity aside from not being Black) near where I live last week. I was taking a walk minding my own business and these snots walked up by me and starting yelling 'White boy'. They walked away and I started following them..........apparently they spooked and stepped away from me when I passed by. Losers.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:10 PM

149 posts, read 533,780 times
I am an Asian and here are my experiences I have had in the past.

- I was mistaken for a shoe store employee at E & J's Shoe outlet in Promenade shopping center in Scottsdale
- I was also mistaken for a waitress at Jasmine Palace in Scottsdale
- During our first year living in Fountain Hills, I was asked "Do you happen to live in town?" 6-7 times from various shop owners and some parents at FH Soccer club.

I would not call these 'racism'... but I thought these were interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area