Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:08 PM

21 posts, read 78,400 times

Advertisements

Visited Scottsdale for the first time as my job interview was in Phoenix, and was looking for apartments to live in

I noticed that this Complex San Marin was in a GREAT location, but the reviews all said it was full of drunken college kids who made noise even during the week, so I passed

I settled on Colonial Grand at Scottsdale, its on 6400 East Thomas Road

here is a link - View Colonial Grand at Scottsdale Apartments For Rent in Scottsdale, Arizona - ForRent.com

the neighborhood just outside looked okay, a professional park is just next door that has nice looking doctors offices, etc.

i felt it was close enough to ole town (~5-8 min) to get a cab when I went out but not overrun but drunken college kids up every night

thoughts? comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 11:12 PM

google maps says its a 5 minute drive to old town, are cabs pretty easy to get?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:37 PM

29 posts, read 123,115 times
I live at Colonial Grand at Old Town Scottsdale (3131 N 70th St, http://colonialprop.com/property-info/?cid=1383) which is right down the road from Colonial Grand at Scottsdale. I dont know much about the complex you're looking at but if its managed the same way mine is, its probably pretty decent. However I would highly suggest you look into my complex as its closer to Old Town. I have lived here for 2 years and I like it a lot. I'm 25 so I like to have my share of fun, but I also need to get my sleep during the weeknights and I've found that there is a good mix of parties on the weekends, including pool parties, and quiet during the week. It is within walking distance to Old Town, about 10 min to Salty Senorita & the baseball stadium, 20 to Dos Gringos, Giligins, Martini Ranch etc and driving is about 5 min to everywhere in Old Town. Cabs are easy to get and usually run $5-$10 (I think it would be a much longer walk from the one you are looking into). There are two complexes at Colonial Grand at Old Town Scottsdale (One is on 70th & Thomas and the other is just a block north at 70th & Earll) I would suggest the north complex over the south because the south is right on Thomas so you get a lot more road noise and the north complex is closer walking distance to Old Town. They have remodeled a lot of the ground floor units, which of course makes them more expensive, but they are pretty nice. I have lived in both a remodeled and an original unit and the original units are just fine. It's 15-20 min to the airport, 10 min to Tempe, 20 min to Downtown Phoenix. 15 min from North Scottsdale. I think its a great location, theres a decent amount going on but nothing to keep you up all night when you're trying to sleep and the office and maintanence staff are pretty helpful and nice. Let me know if you have any other questions. On another note I am actually moving to Seattle tomorrow, but it has nothing to do with the apartment, just need to get back home.

Last edited by iznhour; 07-07-2008 at 11:49 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iznhour View Post
I live at Colonial Grand currently, in the north complex, which is one block north of the complex on Thomas(south complex), on 70th & Earll(3131 N 70th St). I have lived here for 2 years and I like it a lot. I'm 25 so I like to have my share of fun, but I also need to get my sleep during the weeknights and I've found that there is a good mix of parties on the weekends, including pool parties, and quiet during the week. It is within walking distance to Old Town, about 10 min to Salty Senorita & the baseball stadium, 20 to Dos Gringos, Giligins, Martini Ranch etc and driving is about 5 min to everywhere in Old Town. Cabs are easy to get and usually run $5-$10. I would suggest the north complex over the south because the south is right on Thomas so you get a lot more road noise and the north complex is closer walking distance to Old Town. They have remodeled a lot of the ground floor units, which of course makes them more expensive, but they are pretty nice. I have lived in both a remodeled and an original unit and the original units are just fine. It's 15-20 min to the airport, 10 min to Tempe, 20 min to Downtown Phoenix. 15 min from North Scottsdale. I think its a great location, theres a decent amount going on but nothing to keep you up all night when you're trying to sleep and the office and maintanence staff are pretty helpful and nice. Let me know if you have any other questions. On another note I am actually moving to Seattle tomorrow, but it has nothing to do with the apartment, just need to get back home.
well thanks man, that info was great I really appreciate it

sounds like I made a good choice, I was definantly looking for that mix

how are the other tenants at the complex?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:48 PM

well damn wrong complex

Old 07-07-2008, 11:51 PM

29 posts, read 123,115 times
Sorry the whole "at Scottsdale" vs "as Old Town Scottsdale" threw me off. But they are owned by the same company so I figure they should be pretty similar and they are just about 1/2-3/4 miles from each other. Are you already locked into a lease?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iznhour View Post
Sorry the whole "at Scottsdale" vs "as Old Town Scottsdale" threw me off. But they are owned by the same company so I figure they should be pretty similar and they are just about 1/2-3/4 miles from each other. Are you already locked into a lease?
i have paid an application fee, filled out an application, and signed a "reservation agreement"

lease is being faxed tomorrow

Old 07-08-2008, 12:27 AM

oh well, it looks like there are no unit available at your complex till mid-august anyways

the complex's look similar, so as long as cabs arent hard to come by for the night I want to go out looks like I'm set

Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 AM

371 posts, read 1,008,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sman222 View Post
Visited Scottsdale for the first time as my job interview was in Phoenix, and was looking for apartments to live in

I noticed that this Complex San Marin was in a GREAT location, but the reviews all said it was full of drunken college kids who made noise even during the week, so I passed

I settled on Colonial Grand at Scottsdale, its on 6400 East Thomas Road

here is a link - View Colonial Grand at Scottsdale Apartments For Rent in Scottsdale, Arizona - ForRent.com

the neighborhood just outside looked okay, a professional park is just next door that has nice looking doctors offices, etc.

i felt it was close enough to ole town (~5-8 min) to get a cab when I went out but not overrun but drunken college kids up every night

thoughts? comments?
I rented one of the offices in that complex...honestly it isn't the best area...cheapest part of Scottsdale...the occasional bum, etc. and the grocery store down Thomas is pretty scary...I'd look closer to Old Town.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:28 PM

81 posts, read 230,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtochitown View Post
I rented one of the offices in that complex...honestly it isn't the best area...cheapest part of Scottsdale...the occasional bum, etc. and the grocery store down Thomas is pretty scary...I'd look closer to Old Town.
What is up with you people? That part of Scottsdale is absolutely fine. You'd think all of you moved her from Beverley Hills or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area