Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 01:58 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,711,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamosa View Post
I've read a lot of terrific posts about Anthem, and from what I've seen on the real estate sites there are lots of nice properties too with lower prices than Scottsdale or Phoenix. I'm a bit concerned about Anthem being a bedroom community, but my husband is looking at value for the money.

We have very specific housing requirements and to some of you we may seem a bit uptight, but hey, we know what we like and since we've moved 10 times in 17 years, we're just glad we've figured out what we want...finally!

Someone be honest please, is Anthem more of a family friendly community versus parts of Scottsdale or Phoenix that may be geared towards childfree couples? We're in our late 30s, we lead a quiet life, enjoy outdoor activities or just sitting in the backyard relaxing, reading etc. We also enjoy shopping, going for coffee or taking in cultural events. He works, I'm a housewife trying to write a book (for about 3 years now!!!).

When we're sitting in our yard we want to hear the birds or the air, not screaming kids...right now we are bound by 4 families with 3-4 child households so we usually retreat to the front yard for quiet time. I want quiet neighbors who don't stay out all night in their yards partying, drinking beer and carrying on so the entire neighborhood can hear them. I want neighbors who keep nice, clean properties. I think you can figure out what we're after.

Anyhow, we're not for or against any area in particular. My husband will be working in north Pheonix and doesn't mind up to a 45 min commute. We've lived in highrise buildings, townhomes, single homes, etc...at this point it's about finding an area suitable to who we are. So far we're leaning towards Scottsdale, but then Anthem came up, so...

Let your recommendations and advice fly!
Compared to Scottsdale? Forget it. Nice area and all of that, but like someone else said, there are plenty of families, at least from what I've seen.

Scottsdale offers much more in the way of action and it can be wonderfully quiet as well. It's a huge city, geographically, so you should be able to find something that suits you well, and keeps you closer to what you like to do. Carefree is nice too. It's more quiet though. Parts of Scottsdale are similar to Carefree, with bigger yards and/or less kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 04:15 PM

10 posts, read 58,539 times
I am in my mid-30's engaged, with no children living in Anthem. Sure, there are pros and cons, but the pros far outweigh the cons in my opinion. There are certainly kids in some areas, but it's not like I am constantly dodging them when I go home. There are pools, workout centers, golf course, backs up a nice hiking trail all surrounded by mountains, and a straight shot to run up north at any time (Sedona is an hour door-to-door). I ultimately chose to move there because I feel it's the nicest community where you get the most for your money. People like to complain that it's "so far," but it's less than 10 minutes drive to anything you could want...not to mention they are widening the freeway just for us, haha (suckers!)

Old 07-23-2008, 08:36 PM

20 posts, read 87,814 times
Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I agree with the person who said rent first...that might be a good thing so we can have ample time to look for the most suitable area. Fingers crossed xx

Old 07-24-2008, 11:34 AM

180 posts, read 656,770 times
Yes, parts of Anthem are crawling with kids. Others have few if any. The anthem country club will have in general less kids, but again some pockets are different.

The biggest downside to a no kids couple in Anthem is a long drive to Scottsdale and downtown Phoenix for activities.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:33 PM

799 posts, read 2,171,056 times
I live in Anthem and it is nice.
But I don't frequent the community pools because there are so many kids in them.

Streets are relatively quiet where I am...although you get the occasional person who drives breakneck down the street.

It isn't a good place for an older single though...

Old 07-24-2008, 08:21 PM

123 posts, read 552,179 times
Lived in Anthem CC for 4 years and wished there were more kids for our own top play with. Most the kids are in Parkside. It is night and day difference bewteen Anthem Parkside where the kids pretty much run around and the gated country club, which is pretty quiet but has many adult activities at the country club without going down 17. Before you rent, negotiate the club membership fee with the landlord, I thinks its about $250 to start up for a renter. The homeowner pays the monthly regardless.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:11 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,362,983 times
My wife and I have no kids and don't want any. We live a few miles south of Anthem where 17 meets Carefree Hwy. I'd consider moving to Anthem. We're there a few times a week to shop anyway and it's the only post office around. I like it there. I can't stand kids, but what really nags me in my neighborhood are the folks who go to work and leave their dogs in the yard all day, which just bark and yap to no end. I work from home, so I hear it all the time, though it's better now that it's so hot and evenone has their a/c on and windows closed.

I think this is a great area. Ben Avery is almost walking distance from my house. I can hop on my motorcycle and head up north without having to deal with traffic. And it's not too crowded around here. If I had the money, I'd live in Carefree, Cave Creek or N. Scottsdale. But I'm happy here.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:43 AM

28 posts, read 87,198 times
The 17 to and from Phoenix is hell. I wouldn't live in Anthem unless I had a job there.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:03 PM

123 posts, read 552,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiusaz View Post
The 17 to and from Phoenix is hell. I wouldn't live in Anthem unless I had a job there.
Not at all true. Not sure how often you get to Anthem from Mesa, but even with the massive 17 improvements going on, traffic seems to me to be much better. Traffic is not bad at all, compared to many othera areas like the 10 & 60 or 101 and the 51. A year or so ago you were correct but for whatever reason, less home construction traffic, the economy or more expensive gas, I don't see the back ups you may have witnessed in the past.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:22 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,297,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsHomes View Post
Hi Gamosa, For what it is worth, you will never get an answer to your question from a real estate agent. Familial status (i.e., people with children) is a protected class under federal fair housing laws. Under federal law, your question is identical to asking where there is a community without black people, or Mexicans, or people from Guam, or without Buddhists, or without men. The only legally permissible discrimination is age within an over 55 community, to which you do not belong.
Nice to know that brats are part of a protected class! I think a person has every right to know what kind of people occupy a neighborhood before he/she moves in. If the neighborhood is a hangout for teens, or a place where children run around unattended, that can easily drag down home values. Since rug rats are federally protected under the so called fair housing codes, it's best to check out the neighborhoods personally to find out what kinds of people live there. There's no law against that!

Also, a tip for childless people: don't move into a neighborhood where there are public schools close by. That's an indication that there will be many kids roaming around ... often causing trouble by vandalizing property. In addition to schools, also see if there are any skateboard hangouts or playgrounds in the area. Those are kid magnets. Stay away from those neighborhoods!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area