Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:18 PM

20 posts, read 87,869 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot of terrific posts about Anthem, and from what I've seen on the real estate sites there are lots of nice properties too with lower prices than Scottsdale or Phoenix. I'm a bit concerned about Anthem being a bedroom community, but my husband is looking at value for the money.

We have very specific housing requirements and to some of you we may seem a bit uptight, but hey, we know what we like and since we've moved 10 times in 17 years, we're just glad we've figured out what we want...finally!

Someone be honest please, is Anthem more of a family friendly community versus parts of Scottsdale or Phoenix that may be geared towards childfree couples? We're in our late 30s, we lead a quiet life, enjoy outdoor activities or just sitting in the backyard relaxing, reading etc. We also enjoy shopping, going for coffee or taking in cultural events. He works, I'm a housewife trying to write a book (for about 3 years now!!!).

When we're sitting in our yard we want to hear the birds or the air, not screaming kids...right now we are bound by 4 families with 3-4 child households so we usually retreat to the front yard for quiet time. I want quiet neighbors who don't stay out all night in their yards partying, drinking beer and carrying on so the entire neighborhood can hear them. I want neighbors who keep nice, clean properties. I think you can figure out what we're after.

Anyhow, we're not for or against any area in particular. My husband will be working in north Pheonix and doesn't mind up to a 45 min commute. We've lived in highrise buildings, townhomes, single homes, etc...at this point it's about finding an area suitable to who we are. So far we're leaning towards Scottsdale, but then Anthem came up, so...

Let your recommendations and advice fly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 12:39 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,718,911 times
I'm unsure about the area you are asking about, but i completely understand the need to stay away from kids. They are annoying and it can get old.

I wish you luck on your search

Old 07-22-2008, 09:55 AM

1,240 posts, read 2,243,641 times
Anthem is a very nice master-planned community. Houses for every budget, nice park, sports fields, walking paths, stores, food etc. But it is loaded with kids. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but if you want to sit on your patio, staring at your 6 foot block wall, you will most assured hear the neighborhood alive with the sounds of children, and yes, Bob the beer drinker guy in his garage with his buddies knocking back a few (once again, not that there is anything wrong with that).
The homes are very close together so if you need a bit more elbow room, Anthem might not work for you.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:01 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,938,737 times
Hi Gamosa, For what it is worth, you will never get an answer to your question from a real estate agent. Familial status (i.e., people with children) is a protected class under federal fair housing laws. Under federal law, your question is identical to asking where there is a community without black people, or Mexicans, or people from Guam, or without Buddhists, or without men. The only legally permissible discrimination is age within an over 55 community, to which you do not belong.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:11 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,191,091 times
Yes, it is basically geared for families. It is very much a bedroom community, which many areas of phx and the suburbs are.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:25 PM

19 posts, read 64,363 times
If you don't have kids, you probably want to be closer to the cultural activities that you have time to enjoy, right? That means living somewhere closer to Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale to me. Maybe Ahwatukee, Chandler, or Laveen, but I know less about these areas than others mentioned.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:29 PM

175 posts, read 465,712 times
I have lived in Anthem for 5 years now and its a nice community with two main neighborhoods. Parkside and the country club. If you want to live in peace try the Country Club side. We live on the golf course and have nice open views of it in the back. Peaceful and quiet. No kids at all anywhere near by. Not to say there are no children here because there are but not where we live. Parkside is where most of the children reside. Scottsdale is nice also. Only negative I have about the place is the HOA and the summer heat. I just can't get used to it. Right now home prices are falling but I would recommend renting for now. Try www.anthemstuff.com for more inside info on Anthem.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:42 PM

477 posts, read 1,585,679 times
My opinion is "No" dont got o Anthem. Yes, it's a nice community but there are a ton of families up there. Lots of stay at home moms and while that would be great for you if you were in the same boat, but I'd choose Scottsdale or Tempe if I was in your shoes! Im not as I do have 3 kids(and still wouldn't live in Anthem)but you wanted opinions and that is mine. Good luck with your decision making!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:08 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,442,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamosa View Post
I've read a lot of terrific posts about Anthem, and from what I've seen on the real estate sites there are lots of nice properties too with lower prices than Scottsdale or Phoenix. I'm a bit concerned about Anthem being a bedroom community, but my husband is looking at value for the money.

We have very specific housing requirements and to some of you we may seem a bit uptight, but hey, we know what we like and since we've moved 10 times in 17 years, we're just glad we've figured out what we want...finally!

Someone be honest please, is Anthem more of a family friendly community versus parts of Scottsdale or Phoenix that may be geared towards childfree couples? We're in our late 30s, we lead a quiet life, enjoy outdoor activities or just sitting in the backyard relaxing, reading etc. We also enjoy shopping, going for coffee or taking in cultural events. He works, I'm a housewife trying to write a book (for about 3 years now!!!).

When we're sitting in our yard we want to hear the birds or the air, not screaming kids...right now we are bound by 4 families with 3-4 child households so we usually retreat to the front yard for quiet time. I want quiet neighbors who don't stay out all night in their yards partying, drinking beer and carrying on so the entire neighborhood can hear them. I want neighbors who keep nice, clean properties. I think you can figure out what we're after.

Anyhow, we're not for or against any area in particular. My husband will be working in north Pheonix and doesn't mind up to a 45 min commute. We've lived in highrise buildings, townhomes, single homes, etc...at this point it's about finding an area suitable to who we are. So far we're leaning towards Scottsdale, but then Anthem came up, so...

Let your recommendations and advice fly!
You'd be bored to death in Anthem....I'd suggest Scottsdale

Old 07-23-2008, 01:42 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,036,721 times
Well, I agree with most of the others. Anthem is a "family" oriented bedroom community. If you don't want to be around kids A LOT it's not a great idea to move there.

You mentioned that you have a list of very specific things you are looking for. Why not share some of those and I'm sure you'll get a lot more responses.

Also, you said you guys like to shop, dine, go to cultural events. Boy, Anthem is a nice place, but it is pretty far away from most of that stuff. I'm thinking Scottsdale might be more to your liking. It is more expensive....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area