Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:01 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,298,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
We went to the ballgame last weekend, saw the D-Backs take on those pesky Dodgers. Good game, even though we lost.

Problem is, there was absolutely nothing open downtown after the game. There isn't anything there anyway, besides "Sliders", which was closed. A couple of little "Bistros".....CLOSED. An Asian cuisine place...CLOSED.

4:00 pm on a Sunday and absolutely NOTHING to do Downtown.

I see opportunity here. I'm wonderin' what it's going to take to start up a little beer & burger joint down there. With a little luck & business savy, one could make a killin' down there.
Actually - there are a number of resturants around there - including Alice Cooperstown, Marlejes etc. Heritage Square, right down 7th street has some fabulous eating places -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You should build a place like that over near Old Town Scottsdale, where I assume it would do much better than downtown PHX.
Old Town is saturated with places

Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 AM

549 posts, read 1,561,164 times
Quote:
I could see such a place doing great on game days, and maybe on Friday/Saturday nights, but during the off-season and during weekdays, it would probably be a dud. There is probably a good reason those restaurants you saw were closed... not enough business. Ive been downtown Phoenix dozens of times, and there were times I could have shot a few cannonballs down the street and not hit a car or pedestrian, it was that dead. And one of those times was after a D-backs game on a Saturday afternoon.

You should build a place like that over near Old Town Scottsdale, where I assume it would do much better than downtown PHX.
Probably not, Steve. Old Town is saturated with places. Phoenix's downtown has increasing potential. And downtown isn't like it was even a few months ago - with light rail, more people (especially with gas prices) will be up and down Central Avenue and in and around the new Civic Park. Yeah, it's not Chicago - never will be. But I guarantee you'll see more people walking around downtown, game day or not.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:24 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,454,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Old Town is saturated with places
Because its a good place to do business. And with the waterfront and all new condos being built there, it just seems like a more logical place to put a restaurant.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Because its a good place to do business. And with the waterfront and all new condos being built there, it just seems like a more logical place to put a restaurant.
The area you describe is ALREADY SATURATED WITH RESTURANTS

Old 07-24-2008, 01:45 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,454,108 times
Quote:
The area you describe is ALREADY SATURATED WITH RESTURANTS
Indeed it is, no doubt. But theyre all doing very well it seems, something that restaurants in downtown PHX are not.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,706,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
We went to the ballgame last weekend, saw the D-Backs take on those pesky Dodgers. Good game, even though we lost.

Problem is, there was absolutely nothing open downtown after the game. There isn't anything there anyway, besides "Sliders", which was closed. A couple of little "Bistros".....CLOSED. An Asian cuisine place...CLOSED.

4:00 pm on a Sunday and absolutely NOTHING to do Downtown.

I see opportunity here. I'm wonderin' what it's going to take to start up a little beer & burger joint down there. With a little luck & business savy, one could make a killin' down there.
That's been my experience as well. It's like the whole of suburban Shangri-La moved to the Valley, leaving behind all those wierdos who live in cities. What's worse is, some of those weird city-types actually like it!

I mean, what kind of freaks would want to be in a city on a weekend? Cities are for office workers and homeless people. The real action takes place at strip malls.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:37 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,863,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Thats where they should have put the stadium! Darn it. XD!
Your right, they wouldn't make it if they stayed open all the time. Too bad!

You know, your post made me think of something. Remember all the fuss about putting the football stadium in the old Los Arcos area...then it went to Glendale? Well I am thrilled it went to Glendale. They have done a nice job with it, and the area. I don't want everything in Scottsdale. It's a very nice area in Scottsdale and they deserve their share, but I want a vibrant metro area...I am loving that downtown Phx is starting to gear up, I get p.o.'d when people put down W. Phx...especially now with Glendale/Peoria doing so well. I just want the whole metro area to share the wealth. Plus, it's fun to go to other areas for different things. Good for us all.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Indeed it is, no doubt. But theyre all doing very well it seems, something that restaurants in downtown PHX are not.
Really? Well, the resturants downtown are doing fine - including the Hard Rock, Marjeles, Alice Cooperstown, Hooters and the others at AZ Center, etc. They have merely tailored their marketing to the market they enjoy -

Sports, Entertainment and Conventions are a constant downtown - not only during the week, but on the weekends.

Us full time residents know these things -

Old 07-24-2008, 04:23 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,027,136 times
Quote:
Really? Well, the resturants downtown are doing fine - including the Hard Rock, Marjeles, Alice Cooperstown, Hooters and the others at AZ Center, etc. They have merely tailored their marketing to the market they enjoy -

Sports, Entertainment and Conventions are a constant downtown - not only during the week, but on the weekends.

Us full time residents know these things -
As a downtown resident I can confirm the fact that many restaurants downtown are busy on the weekends and in the evenings. Reservations at many restaurants like Fate and Cibo and the Compass Room are a must. Long lines are a norm at Matt's, Pizzeria Bianco, Circa1900, Carly's and many more. Yes conventions, sports, entertainment, and tourists are a constant downtown so those restuarants and pubs near Central Ave., 1st Street, 2nd Street to the Arizona Center are always busy. Seamus McCaffrey, Networks, Steve's Grill, Hardrock, Friday's, Bar Smith, Silver, etc are always busy. After normal dinner hours the clubs and bars downtown are popular and will continue to become so month after month and year after year. I have only been living in Phoenix for a year and have noticed enormous change in the neighborhoods of downtown and this is just the beginning of a very busy period of huge construction projects and new and large residential buildings and towers in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area