Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 03:22 PM

70 posts, read 244,513 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Well, I had a great time in Phoenix area recently and enjoyed checking out the various cities and dreaming of my future home (hopefully in the NW area). Anyway, I was wondering about the traffic because I had seen various posts with people complaining about it. We tried to be out on a few freeways during rush hour a few times to see how it was (for future decisions). What I was wondering was, is the traffic a lot busier in rush hour in the winter (with the snowbirds)? From what I saw when we were there, was no problem at all. Granted, this is comparing to where I am right now in the south bay area, but I found it to be very light. So is it a lot worse in the winter, or is it just certain freeways at certain times? Any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 PM

Default Photo Rader Question

OK, I thought I'd add a bit here. Does the photo radar check your speed before you get to it, Or does it check your speed as you pass and then take your picture? You see I saw a flash go off in my rearview, but there were a bunch of cars so I don't know if it was me or not. I know I had slowed down before I got to it but may have been speeding before I saw it. Also, I was in a rental that just had a paper registration in the back window (and no licence plate since it was new). Any chance that may have saved me?

Old 08-14-2008, 03:37 PM

674 posts, read 2,552,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcork View Post
OK, I thought I'd add a bit here. Does the photo radar check your speed before you get to it, Or does it check your speed as you pass and then take your picture? You see I saw a flash go off in my rearview, but there were a bunch of cars so I don't know if it was me or not. I know I had slowed down before I got to it but may have been speeding before I saw it. Also, I was in a rental that just had a paper registration in the back window (and no licence plate since it was new). Any chance that may have saved me?

It takes a picture of the front of the car and the back. You'll probably be alright.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:05 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,293 times
Yes, rush is worse during the winter. More people on the roads; winter visitors, the construction workers who start at dawn are out there later in the morning, etc. As bad as traffic gets here at times, there's almost always an alternate route like surface streets around a problem area. I know you said south bay, but I've had to drive into SF from Santa Rosa in the morning a few times. I can't imagine living there or Petaluma or Novato and having to make that drive into the city every day. You've only got one road. Unless you live somewhere like Anthem off I-17, you won't be faced with that here and even then, crawling down US101 to the backup at the bridge is still much worse in my opinion. As for the fixed photo radar locations, the sensors are in the roadway surface in each lane. You should also have seen a flash in front of you, not just from behind.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:05 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Rush hour is worse in the winter..especially in the NW Area of town. Surprise and all the Sun Cities.

But your right....compared to other big metros, Phoenix is not that bad.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:59 AM

942 posts, read 2,519,053 times
We grew up in Orange County, CA and traffic here does not begin to compare to that area. Of course, we still complain about it from time-to-time.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:33 AM

Thanks guys. Good information. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I don't get a ticket in the mail too.

If you had to put a percentage on the increase in cars during rush hour in winter, what would you guess? 20%?

Old 08-15-2008, 10:04 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcork View Post
Thanks guys. Good information. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I don't get a ticket in the mail too.

If you had to put a percentage on the increase in cars during rush hour in winter, what would you guess? 20%?
For me, I can ONLY drive on the freeway during the summer, otherwise I don't have the patience to sit in it all morning. I drive down the 17 and I would guess the traffic is at least double in the winter. We are not talking just a little more it's a whole lot more. Our winters are just crowded with people. On the weekends I remember last winter just driving me nuts with snowbirds. They are slow and are on vacation while the rest of us are surviving our work week and trying to get to places quick.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:09 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Lets qualify the traffic situation in Surprise.

The heavy traffic is mainly on the surface streets (Bell and Grand).

The 101 is not/never jammed up going south to the I-10...

The 101 (going North then East on the curve) gets jammed up around 59th Ave to the 17 in the Mornings. I imagine that it is still heavy passed the 17 going East.

The 101 gets jammed up (going West to the curve) from 35thish to only about 59thish in the evenings.

You will hit traffic on I-10 West in the evenings and I-10 East in the mornings.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:56 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
What ibarrio said.

I-10 eastbound from 6:30 am until 9:00 am should be avoided, along with westbound between 2:00 pm & 6:00 pm.

I-17 is hit or miss during those times and I've found that 19th ave northbound is a bit better at 5:00 pm.

I'm a freeway guy in the morning and a surface street dude in the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area