Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:04 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,210,403 times

Advertisements

Actually it isnt too bad now that the humidity appears to have dropped fairly dramatically.

We have only had 9 days of 100 or better in September. Only 5 days has the "low" been 80' or better, most have been in the 70s.

Right now is absolutely perfect for me. According to the weather, it is about 96' with 10% humidity. I have my ceiling fan on, iced beverage at hand, a slight breeze (what's up with that lol!) on my shaded patio-I'd be happy if it stayed like this.

This was my first full Phoenix summer. Net net it wasn't all that bad. It wasn't nearly as hot as the tail end of summer I remember last year. And I came from Cleveland where we didn't get this kind of heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 07:21 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,453,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Actually it isnt too bad now that the humidity appears to have dropped fairly dramatically.

We have only had 9 days of 100 or better in September. Only 5 days has the "low" been 80' or better, most have been in the 70s.

Right now is absolutely perfect for me. According to the weather, it is about 96' with 10% humidity. I have my ceiling fan on, iced beverage at hand, a slight breeze (what's up with that lol!) on my shaded patio-I'd be happy if it stayed like this.

This was my first full Phoenix summer. Net net it wasn't all that bad. It wasn't nearly as hot as the tail end of summer I remember last year. And I came from Cleveland where we didn't get this kind of heat.

Wait a few years, the novelty of a ceiling fan on with an iced beverage is going to wear off. You'll become one of us - just waiting for it to end. And I was born in MN, so I know of what I speak.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:52 PM

219 posts, read 779,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
October is the cruelest month. Only the silly dreamers expect it to cool much in September. The dreamers moan and complain but know in their hearts that September is dry, but still hotter than - well you know. But anyone who has lived here for a few years knows that October is the month of the "great Arizona desert cool down". Except when it's not - as Suess would put it. September can only disappoint (which it is doing with abandon this year), but October can be cruel.
Maybe because it was the month I moved in here, but June was by far the cruelest. Literally everyday the second half of the month was between 112-115, is that always the case. I expected July to be the worst, but the temperatures in June were out of this world, and the fact that you had the ENTIRE summer left, made it particularly cruel. Not to mention the fact, monsoon season had not begun, so there were no clouds to cool you off, nor storms to cool down temperatures. Just day after day of barbaric heat. Granted humidity was low, but any temperatures north of 110, does it really matter?

Old 09-29-2008, 11:14 AM

228 posts, read 594,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
October is the cruelest month. Only the silly dreamers expect it to cool much in September. The dreamers moan and complain but know in their hearts that September is dry, but still hotter than - well you know. But anyone who has lived here for a few years knows that October is the month of the "great Arizona desert cool down". Except when it's not - as Suess would put it. September can only disappoint (which it is doing with abandon this year), but October can be cruel.

The first 2 weeks of October can be cruel. But by the last week of October, it's usually getting to be darn near perfect.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:02 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,273,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
We've actually had 19 days over 100 degrees in September ... and today & tomorrow will likely be the 20th & 21st days because the forecast is for highs of 101 both days.

http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=psr

As I stated before: it's not too unusual for late September and early October to still be on the hot side. There have been many years with high temperatures of 100 degrees or more in early October. The cooler days of fall often don't arrive until around Halloween or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NytoPhx View Post
Maybe because it was the month I moved in here, but June was by far the cruelest. Literally everyday the second half of the month was between 112-115, is that always the case. I expected July to be the worst, but the temperatures in June were out of this world, and the fact that you had the ENTIRE summer left, made it particularly cruel. Not to mention the fact, monsoon season had not begun, so there were no clouds to cool you off, nor storms to cool down temperatures. Just day after day of barbaric heat. Granted humidity was low, but any temperatures north of 110, does it really matter?
On average, July is the month with the most extreme heat ... and sometimes August is too. June is also a hot month, but this June was hotter than usual. A lot of times when June is extremely hot, it's followed by a heavy monsoon (as was the case this year).

Old 09-29-2008, 12:06 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,912,915 times
WOW !! 110-115 degrees.. but its a dry heat...kinda like my oven!

Old 09-29-2008, 02:42 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,012,376 times
The latest it has ever hit 100 in Phoenix was October 23, back in 2003. So it's still possible for us to have triple-digit heat for about the next 4 weeks.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:33 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
My prediction of Sept 32nd is pretty much right on target...that's this Thursday

Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 AM

943 posts, read 2,521,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NytoPhx View Post
June almost did us in. If I could have left, I would have!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:22 PM

97 posts, read 229,594 times
BIG change coming: National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary

It is early for this.. but it happens every year.. eventually, lol. But with the cool we get the gusty-dusty..!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area