Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:01 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,360,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieb75 View Post
From what I have been reading, there was a large surplus when Clinton was in office....Im not here to argue.
But when you throw out such bogus "facts" how can you expect people not to argue? There was only a PROJECTED, not realized, surplus when Clinton was in office and that only started once his party lost control of Congress in the '94 midterm elections and the GOP started imposing some modicum of fiscal discipline on the federal budget. (Yes, they certainly lost their way over the years.) Projecting a surplus makes about as much sense as my claiming I'll make X% more each year than the last, but my outlays will grow by a smaller percentage. It has nothing to do with actual federal receipts and outlays. And you probably know that Social Security has long run an actual surplus of around $70 billion a year, but that Congress has taken that surplus and put it into the general fund to cover otherwise (more) deficit spending. That's the only real surplus there ever was and it has been raided for many years by Congress, regardless of who was in the majority.

Bottom line is no, there was no surplus when Clinton was in office. Clinton said there was going to be one. But that's a very different thing.

I am happy to read opinions vastly different from my own. But you should try to include some modicum of factual reality in your posts. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts.

Last edited by Rick Lee; 10-02-2008 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 11:09 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,486,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Roundball, you really, really need to turn off MSNBC

Now I'm pissed. You just broke the camels back..............Keith Olbermann is my hero.

I'll watch the video tonight after Palin makes a fool out of herself *crosses fingers* then get back to you.

Last edited by roundball; 10-02-2008 at 11:27 AM..

Old 10-02-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Another non-thinker who argues with links and not his own thoughts.
Maybe, just maybe I put links in so people can read for themselves and decide the merits of a particular point or issue. I don't want people to regard me the way I regard you (in this thread). As someone who likes to pull facts out of their rear and are rude to boot. Maybe you should migrate on over to //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/ yep, another link.

I thought the Phoenix forum was for all of us to scare people with how it's so hot here. Or ask simple questions like: Q:Is Obama coming here? A:No.

Last edited by roundball; 10-02-2008 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-02-2008, 12:02 PM

Please point to a fact I posted that is wrong. Yes, I read those links you posted and they mean nothing to me. As a VA resident until a few mos. ago, I know exactly how voting goes there. And anyone who is swayed by a bogus mail-in ballot is probably too stupid to vote on their own anyway. And stupidity transcends party affiliation. Why didn't I ever get a bogus mail-in ballot in 13 yrs. of living there, having never missed even a school board election?

Even if the voter registration and mail-in ballot shenanigans in your links are real (and I don't believe they are), they would work in both parties' favor or to their detriment, probably equally. In other words, it would be a wash. At the very least, it would be unpredictable enough to not know how much or where to do it.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:36 PM

Oh Rick Lee...I'm sure if I took the time to read all your post again I could find a few things. Unfortunately I suspect that you are a die hard neonazi/neocon/ditto head and have your Republican talking points booklet in hand, and will refute any facts/opinions I say. I bet you were in Minneapolis a month ago shouting "Drill baby drill" with Guiliani and all the other nonthinkers. I'm afraid your mind is already so far gone that I would be wasting my time on you.

Hey, I'm pretty good at this rude thing also.
I'm done in this thread now. Maybe I'll debate the last 100 degree day or the best Gyro with you in another thread.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Here in Ohio we have same day registration and voting. So the Obama busses are driving around picking up homeless, bringing them into vote and then dropping them back off under the bridges, etc. Its a disgrace. Can you say "steal Ohio"????
I had read about this, wouldn't you think something could be done? What happened to the days when voting made a difference? Don't get me wrong, I would never not vote and I believe in the system, but I don't believe in the way registrations are being handled in todays world. If I remember right and I do, we used to have to be registered with a REAL address 2 months before the election.

Nita

Old 10-02-2008, 12:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
And don't forget handing out smokes and booze too. Happens every day. There's a lot more opportunity for shenanigans this time around with the new provisional ballot law. My wife just got her green card and I'm tempted to take her to vote, just to see if she could get a provisional ballot counted here. No, I won't really do it, but would love to use it as an example of how flimsy our system really is. People were surprised by what happened in 2000, but they should be surprised that the same thing doesn't happen a lot more often now, especially with provisional ballots.
And we have been tempted, just to see what happens to get absentee ballots from NM and then vote again here, where we are now registered.

Wouldn't you love to know why they "you know who they are" keep saying 2000 election was stolen. Like you, most of us watched the count over and over. What more would "they" like to have seen done?

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 10-02-2008 at 12:47 PM..

Old 10-02-2008, 12:40 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,172,271 times
I hope nott!!!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Oh Rick Lee...I'm sure if I took the time to read all your post again I could find a few things. Unfortunately I suspect that you are a die hard neonazi/neocon/ditto head and have your Republican talking points booklet in hand, and will refute any facts/opinions I say. I bet you were in Minneapolis a month ago shouting "Drill baby drill" with Guiliani and all the other nonthinkers. I'm afraid your mind is already so far gone that I would be wasting my time on you.

Hey, I'm pretty good at this rude thing also.
I'm done in this thread now. Maybe I'll debate the last 100 degree day or the best Gyro with you in another thread.
Yeah, great rebuttal. Say you're too lazy, accuse me of talking points and then buzz out. Real mature and convincing. FWIW, I'm far more conservative than what goes for Republican these days and no, I was not in Minneapolis. I'll even claim you can't find one of my posts that echos GOP talking points. If you can, it's a coincidence, since I certainly don't care about helping out conservatives-in-name-only, which is what the GOP is these days.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:58 PM

39,096 posts, read 51,300,952 times
Quote:
Here in Ohio we have same day registration and voting. So the Obama busses are driving around picking up homeless, bringing them into vote and then dropping them back off under the bridges, etc. Its a disgrace. Can you say "steal Ohio"????
The homeless don't have a right to vote? Is there an income or ownership test in Ohio? Do you have to drive your car to the polls there? I think the Constitution applies to everyone. The homeless probably have more at stake in this election than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area