Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:35 AM

59 posts, read 241,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2snow View Post
South Tempe (85284) is very nice andhas a large range of prices.
There might be 3 condos for sale at a time under 200k in 85284. It is a pricey zip code. For less ghetto and the 150k price range find something old in awahtukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 11:53 AM

81 posts, read 230,734 times
This may sound horrible but my wife and I found out a real good way of sizing up a neighborhood you're unfamiliar with.

Most houses on the MLS list what the schools are.

Go to Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community type in the school name. There you will find a Student Stats section. Within that section is shows the percentage of students that qualify for free/reduced lunch. If it's a high percentage then I wouldn't even consider raising my kids there.

Using this method we found an incredible home in central Scottsdale in an older neighborhood that is extremely clean and well maintained and full of home owners.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,479 times
I live in this neighborhood and really like it. However it does have its share of problems, but the neighbors are good (we watch out for one another), and recent City of Tempe crime statistics actually show that we are pushing the crime out of our neighborhood and into south Phoenix (across 48th). Tempe had partnered with Phoenix in this area and in general overall crime is being reduced on both sides of 48th. With the recent the economic downturn, 3 house on our street were sold, gutted, remodeled and resold, bringing in more desirable people than those who unfortunately could not make their payments. The area is diverse, it actually feels like a melting pot. Our park is next in line for revamping (thanks to the passage of recent City of Tempe bonds), and Halloween in this neighborhood is the best! We see kids of all races, ages and abilities. It is a good starter neighborhood that puts you close to South Mountain, an easy commute to anywhere in the valley, and nice neighbors.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk72 View Post
This may sound horrible but my wife and I found out a real good way of sizing up a neighborhood you're unfamiliar with.

Most houses on the MLS list what the schools are.

Go to [url=http://www.greatschools.net]Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community[/url] type in the school name. There you will find a Student Stats section. Within that section is shows the percentage of students that qualify for free/reduced lunch. If it's a high percentage then I wouldn't even consider raising my kids there.

Using this method we found an incredible home in central Scottsdale in an older neighborhood that is extremely clean and well maintained and full of home owners.
I agree. This does sound kind of horrible, but as a father myself I can't say I completely blame you. I also had a very positive experience growing up in a diverse, working class neighborhood, so my bias is to not to make too much stink about how much money people make. I do think it's ok to err on the side of caution, as long as you understand that free lunch is not equivalent to inferior people. The worst crime in Tempe is near the entitled rich California reject kids at ASU, not in the poor and working class neighborhoods away from the college. Food for thought. Again, I understand the concern and your desire to have your kids in a good place, but your "research" method betrays some serious prejudice.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:17 AM

725 posts, read 2,323,376 times
In the grand view, Tempe is a good place to bar-hop, go to a club, or eat Sushi, but not a good place to live IMO----------
Unless you're a college kid!

Even the sections away from Mill Ave. or ASU cater to the younger college-age crowd IMO. It's not really family-friendly like Mesa or Gilbert.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:51 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
In the grand view, Tempe is a good place to bar-hop, go to a club, or eat Sushi, but not a good place to live IMO----------
Unless you're a college kid!

Even the sections away from Mill Ave. or ASU cater to the younger college-age crowd IMO. It's not really family-friendly like Mesa or Gilbert.
Not all of Tempe is that way. When most people think of Tempe, they seem to focus on downtown/Mill Avenue, or the area around ASU. That's where the vast majority of Tempe's nightlife & club/bar scene is ... which naturally would attract a younger, college age crowd.

Much of Tempe south of the 60 freeway is geared more toward families, and/or adults. In fact, most of south Tempe looks & feels no different than Chandler, Gilbert, or much of Mesa in my opinion.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:16 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,961,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr72 View Post
Hi everyone,

My wife and I moved to Arizona four months ago for my job and we've been living in a nice apartment in west Chandler (85226), but are looking to buy a home here as my job is going quite well and we like AZ.

I work in downtown Phoenix and my wife is currently attending MCC, but will transfer to ASU to finish her degree, so we would like to find a home somewhere in the middle (in the $150k ballpark). I'm thinking ZIP codes 85281, 85282, 85226, or 85224.

We want an older home in a mature neighborhood, something affordable but with charm. We've seen quite a few houses we like in west Tempe (west of Arizona Mills and the 10) -- how does this area compare to the rest of Tempe? How is crime there, etc.? Cross streets for one house we particularly like are 48th St between Baseline and the canal.

Thanks all for any help you can give.

I would say a big fat NO! I don't know why people who live in those type of areas think others think it's bad because it's diverse. So what does that mean? People of different races? So what, we are talking about crime in the area not the skin color of the people walking around.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:17 PM

191 posts, read 612,113 times
Don't do it! High crime area. Low resale value. Go East...or South Tempe. Warner Ranch is very nice. There are really nice areas that are an easy commute for you. Keep looking.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:52 AM

725 posts, read 2,323,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Not all of Tempe is that way. When most people think of Tempe, they seem to focus on downtown/Mill Avenue, or the area around ASU. That's where the vast majority of Tempe's nightlife & club/bar scene is ... which naturally would attract a younger, college age crowd.

Much of Tempe south of the 60 freeway is geared more toward families, and/or adults. In fact, most of south Tempe looks & feels no different than Chandler, Gilbert, or much of Mesa in my opinion.
Well yeah, but all of Tempe is known as a college and party town thanks to ASU being a huge reason people even live there.

It's nothing like Gilbert or Mesa though - not even the sections south of the 60. Gilbert and Mesa are pale-faced and very conservative, probably because they're so freakin' Mormon-influenced!!!!!!!! Tempe at least has some diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area