Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:07 PM

37 posts, read 150,598 times

Advertisements

I am interested in those of you who have left So. California for Phoenix area.
a) why did you leave?
b) are you happier in Phoenix now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 12:38 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,178,467 times
Pros: Lower wages here in the Phx area but much cheaper housing along with less traffic/congestion.

Cons: hotter than hell in the summer (admittedly no worse in discomfort to Houston, etc.) and no beaches.

Arizona is cracking down harder and harder on the illegal immigrants---------which California needs to do in light of the imploding economy if nothing else.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:45 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,334,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Arizona is cracking down harder and harder on the illegal immigrants---------which California needs to do in light of the imploding economy if nothing else.
Fat chance of that happening-- SoCal is overrun with flaming liberals who actually love illegals. They're actually a sacred cow here. You see signs saying "Legalize LA" all over LA. Oh wait, wrong forum.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:19 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,616,474 times
10 years in So Cal. Left in June of 2007 to Surprise...

a) why did you leave?
The same reason why most leave So Cal... crime, traffic, expensive. We were also visiting Phoenix quite often because my wife has her family here. On average we were staying anywhere from 6-10 weeks per year for the last 6-7 years in Arizona.

b) are you happier in Phoenix now?
Absolutely...

Old 10-24-2008, 01:44 PM

656 posts, read 1,358,254 times
How do you like Surprise? Someone told me to look into their police department? I'm actually about to start the process with LA now..

Old 10-25-2008, 01:38 PM

213 posts, read 745,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Fat chance of that happening-- SoCal is overrun with flaming liberals who actually love illegals. They're actually a sacred cow here. You see signs saying "Legalize LA" all over LA. Oh wait, wrong forum.

Yes we know that to many illegals is bad. But they do jobs that others wouldn't, supporting the economy. Yes to many isn't good but hey we came here and claimed it from others. Don't be misled these people aren't here to take us away and claim it themselves. But I like Mexicans, they're nice people(except for gang bangers and drug cartels)and they have beautiful women. So get your heads into the 21 century. We all should have learned by now to get over that old racism crap. Thats not part of society anymore.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:20 PM

37 posts, read 150,598 times
Default So Cal Vs. AZ

Thanks to all of you.
I've always wanted to live in So Cal and my husband can't stand it there. I can agree with him as far as traffic/congestion, crime, earthquakes are concerned so I've been hanging out here on the Phoenix forum checking things out. I've only ever been to Yuma and that was many years ago. We plan to visit the Phoenix area soon and in the next couple years consider applying for jobs in the area. I have to say that the bug thing freaks me out. I've read all 15 pages of the thread about bugs and such. I'm honestly not sure how I would do with them.

We currently live in Maine. Yah, I know, I know, the weather is 180 degrees different there and I've read all the threads about the brutally hot summers. Obviously So Cal weather is the better pick but you get a lot of baggage with it. Oh well, no place is perfect, right?????

Old 10-25-2008, 02:35 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,178,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeInSoCal View Post
Yes we know that to many illegals is bad. But they do jobs that others wouldn't, supporting the economy. Yes to many isn't good but hey we came here and claimed it from others. Don't be misled these people aren't here to take us away and claim it themselves. But I like Mexicans, they're nice people(except for gang bangers and drug cartels)and they have beautiful women. So get your heads into the 21 century. We all should have learned by now to get over that old racism crap. Thats not part of society anymore.
I am not racist: I despise all illegals--------including Nordic White women from Europe---------better a family of chocolate colored Mayans from Chiapas, Mx who come here legally.

As for the Mx claim thing------------the Hispanics (Spaniards) conquered the Aztecs, etc. first.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:35 PM

219 posts, read 779,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeInSoCal View Post
I agree with you for the most part, that there is a lot of unneccessary racism against illegal immigrants and they tend to not bother me whatsoever, as I have always lived in close proximity to illegal immigrants, but I do disagree with the prevailing sentiment that "they do jobs that others wouldn't, supporting the economy". Do you feel as if there just wouldn't be any landscapers if there were no illegal immigrants here? In an economy as bad as ours, there are millions of Americans who would do those jobs (ok so for maybe slightly more money), but look at all of the homeless and destitute, many of them would gladly take those jobs. Its not true, Americans are too lazy to do those jobs, give them some money and I'm sure they would.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:38 PM

219 posts, read 779,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth G. View Post
Thanks to all of you.
I've always wanted to live in So Cal and my husband can't stand it there. I can agree with him as far as traffic/congestion, crime, earthquakes are concerned so I've been hanging out here on the Phoenix forum checking things out. I've only ever been to Yuma and that was many years ago. We plan to visit the Phoenix area soon and in the next couple years consider applying for jobs in the area. I have to say that the bug thing freaks me out. I've read all 15 pages of the thread about bugs and such. I'm honestly not sure how I would do with them.

We currently live in Maine. Yah, I know, I know, the weather is 180 degrees different there and I've read all the threads about the brutally hot summers. Obviously So Cal weather is the better pick but you get a lot of baggage with it. Oh well, no place is perfect, right?????

I agree it is a lot hotter here, but the reality is, especially now many Californians can't live on the coast and live inland in the San Fernando Valley and even Riverside/San Bernardino. The weather in those locations really is not all that different from here, even in the summer. In October the climate has been strikingly similar, and maybe it is 10 degrees warmer here in the height of summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area