Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:59 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,964,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Clendenen View Post
Not to hijack the thread here but I am a buyer from out of state looking to move to Gilbert (Thanks city-data.com!). We have been looking at Power Ranch as we have two kids 11 and 6, my wife is an artist so she works out of the house, I am a consultant so when I am home I work out of the house as well, so with the community it seems like it would be a good fit, good schools, parks, trails, lakes, etc. We have been looking at 4BR (+) 2BA (+) in Power Ranch and have found several that we like, is there other communities like Power Ranch in Gilbert that we should look at as well?

Regards,
Anthony

Power Ranch is in the Higley School District. I like Val Vista Lakes too, that is in the Gilbert School district. Higley Groves, Greenfield Lakes, Agripotia, you may want to check out Augusta Ranch all of those are in the Gilbert school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 11:15 AM

6 posts, read 24,771 times
I just did an MLS search on Val Vista Lakes, it seems to be quite a bit higher than Power Ranch is there a compelling reason that it is so much higher?

Is there a difference between the two districts?

It seems like there is a quite a few houses on the market in Power Ranch, is there something those people know that I don't?

Regards.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:04 PM

155 posts, read 822,102 times
Superstition - POwer RAnch - is a bit out - near all the major regional malls - lots of congestion of traffic
Gilbert - VVL - is older established Lake community - you will definitely get more for your money - and the schools, living in VVL - the prices are not that far off from Power. Higley has not had a good school record --
1700 sq ft in VVL with a HOA of 80.00 would be anywhere -299-320k (4/2/2)
neighborhood is much better, schools, family oriented - Mesa is 500k people
Gilbert is 200k - even though next to each other - there is a big difference

Old 04-18-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I just did an MLS search on Val Vista Lakes, it seems to be quite a bit higher than Power Ranch is there a compelling reason that it is so much higher?

Is there a difference between the two districts?

It seems like there is a quite a few houses on the market in Power Ranch, is there something those people know that I don't?

Regards.

Val Vista Lakes is Val Vista Lakes that's why. In my opinion you cannot compare that with Power Ranch. It's a well established status symbol type neighborhood. It is very family oriented. The Higley school district is a disorganized mess it doesn't compare to Gilbert. Val Vista Lakes is also closer to some very nice high-end shopping and restaurants and a better area for commuting. Fantastic Clubhouse and pool too!

The Landings in Val Vista Lakes has pretty reasonable prices. Some of the other subdivisions Spinnaker Bay, Tanglewood Cove,Discovery, Runaway Bay are probably closer to late 300's 400 mark and above. Forget waterfront.

My favorite pizza place is on the Corner of Val Vista and Baseline too!

Old 04-18-2007, 02:39 PM

If the pizza is good I am sold! Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
If the pizza is good I am sold! Thanks for all the feedback.

Yeah I just found the place about a month before I moved. It's the closest to NY Pizza I have found. I think it's called Primo's or Prima's.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:31 PM

647 posts, read 3,342,660 times
Val Vista Lakes is more expensive b/c it's closer to the 60 and the 202, IMO. The location is very good, but the houses are much older. The more expensive ones are very nice (upwards of 600k to over a million) but personally I'm not a fan of the less expensive ones - they look very old to me. JMO though - I tend to like the newer look.

VVL is a beautiful community, overall, especially the newer sections, with an excellent location. If you don't mind the older look, you'd probably like it. I don't know anything about the schools there.

Power Ranch is very new, VERY family oriented, close to shopping and the 202. Elementary school within the subdivision, though I've not heard very good things about that school.

If schools are an issue, I'd check greatschools.net for ratings. I've not heard anything good about the Higley school district and personally would not buy a house in the district, but again, that's just me. Overall, Gilbert and Chandler schools get very good ratings.

I'd look at your commute before deciding - if you need to commute downtown, I'd consider Val Vista Lakes (also, for me, if I could afford a 700k house ). But if your commute isn't terribly long, I'd look further southeast, toward Power Ranch and Seville.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
Val Vista Lakes is more expensive b/c it's closer to the 60 and the 202, IMO. The location is very good, but the houses are much older. The more expensive ones are very nice (upwards of 600k to over a million) but personally I'm not a fan of the less expensive ones - they look very old to me. JMO though - I tend to like the newer look.

VVL is a beautiful community, overall, especially the newer sections, with an excellent location. If you don't mind the older look, you'd probably like it. I don't know anything about the schools there.

Power Ranch is very new, VERY family oriented, close to shopping and the 202. Elementary school within the subdivision, though I've not heard very good things about that school.

If schools are an issue, I'd check greatschools.net for ratings. I've not heard anything good about the Higley school district and personally would not buy a house in the district, but again, that's just me. Overall, Gilbert and Chandler schools get very good ratings.

I'd look at your commute before deciding - if you need to commute downtown, I'd consider Val Vista Lakes (also, for me, if I could afford a 700k house ). But if your commute isn't terribly long, I'd look further southeast, toward Power Ranch and Seville.
I am a System Engineer (consultant) so my commute is to SkyHarbor and back once a week, while I would prefer to not have an hour drive to the airport, I can time my flights so that I can minimize the traffic I have to deal with, and if all else fails I can use a service.

Schools are critical to our decision, we have two kids one 11 one 6. We are going on a fact finding trip next Thu-Sun so we plan to visit as many communities as we can on Thursday, and then look for homes that match our criteria the next day. We want to be moving in at the end of June if possible.

As far as an older look, I guess I would have to see them, it is hard to tell from those photos on MLS. I don't want to buy something that I have to spend another 20 grand on to get it liveable.

We would like to be close to shopping and dining, close to regular ammenities like grocery, dry cleaners, health care, gym, freeways, but not near that rail road or in an area where there is crime.

Thanks again for all the input it is critical to our choices to hear from people who live in the area, not just reading and hearing an agent tell us information.

Regards.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I am a System Engineer (consultant) so my commute is to SkyHarbor and back once a week, while I would prefer to not have an hour drive to the airport, I can time my flights so that I can minimize the traffic I have to deal with, and if all else fails I can use a service.

Schools are critical to our decision, we have two kids one 11 one 6. We are going on a fact finding trip next Thu-Sun so we plan to visit as many communities as we can on Thursday, and then look for homes that match our criteria the next day. We want to be moving in at the end of June if possible.

As far as an older look, I guess I would have to see them, it is hard to tell from those photos on MLS. I don't want to buy something that I have to spend another 20 grand on to get it liveable.

We would like to be close to shopping and dining, close to regular ammenities like grocery, dry cleaners, health care, gym, freeways, but not near that rail road or in an area where there is crime.

Thanks again for all the input it is critical to our choices to hear from people who live in the area, not just reading and hearing an agent tell us information.

Regards.

The older look has more character, search homes in Tanglewood Cove. Val Vista Lakes elementary gets rave reviews. The HS and Junior High are Highland. My kids went to Highland. Do some research you will be pleased.

Oh you will be by shopping for sure. You won't need a gym Val Vista lakes has their own facilties. If you want a gym you can walk to Golds Gym on the corner and drive to about 4 in a 3 mile radius.

Check both areas. Good Luck!!

Old 04-19-2007, 12:18 PM

283 posts, read 991,202 times
http://www.mazdas247.com:8080/smilies/threadjacked.gif (broken link) http://www.mazdas247.com:8080/smilies/smashfreakB.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area