Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 03:49 AM

47 posts, read 119,392 times

Advertisements

My mother lives in the Arrowhead area and since she moved there in '05 she has seen 4 scorpians in her kitchen (3 alive, 1 dead). I've been stung by bees many times, so I figure--if the scorpian sting isn't any worse than that, I am not going to worry about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:14 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
I've been stung 3 times - ear and toe twice. Haven't seen any in the house lately, but I am not in denial. They are everywhere

Old 03-19-2009, 08:51 AM

16 posts, read 48,988 times
Lived in an apartment in Gilbert for 8 months. Had over 12 in that time frame, all alive and kicking. Luckily we were never stung

Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,295,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinsomewhere View Post
Lived in an apartment in Gilbert for 8 months. Had over 12 in that time frame, all alive and kicking. Luckily we were never stung
If you saw 12 scorpion in 8 months I don't think the apartment complex was spraying for bugs because that just seems ridiculous. Good thing you never were stung, but I would have totally been upset with the apartment people.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:47 AM

70 posts, read 211,360 times
I've lived here for many years and have seen three scorpions. One was in our home in Fountain Hills, one was in the apartment we had in the desert and one was heading toward the pool in our backyard in Scottsdale.

I'm living back in the home I grew up in near Christown, and I've never seen one here. This house has been in my family for fifty five years, and no one has ever seen a scorpion here. I've asked neighbors, and they haven't seen any around here, either. So far, so good.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:03 AM

338 posts, read 1,624,933 times
Well you should believe it because this is a desert and they do live here. I have seen my fair share of scorpions after living in an apartment complex in North Phoenix that was surrounded by a mountain preserve. I saw 7 live scorpions in just a few months time. That was the most I had ever seen after living almost 30 years in Arizona. Before 2007, I had only seen maybe 5 or 6 in 28 years. So it really depends on the area you are at. Of course, scorpions can be anywhere in Arizona but they are going to be more abundant if you live around their natural habitat. I was stung by one that was in my bed. The sting felt like a piercing burning pain. Kind of like someone is sticking a needle in your arm for hours but it was more annoying than anything because the area on my arm where I got stung was numb for almost 72 hours.

As for lizards, I am sure I have seen thousands of lizards over the years. We have all kinds of lizards out here. Most of them are so cute. We had several lizards that always hung out on our patio.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:08 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,148,392 times
The lizards wouldn't bother me at all. I'd think they were cute, too! I don't live in Arizona, but I've often thought about moving out there. The scorpion thing is what has freaked me out the most - more so than the heat. I live in Ohio, and have a hard enough time when I feel a spider crawling on my leg or arm during the summer while I'm in bed. If I felt a scorpion, they'd be peeling me off the ceiling. Am I justified in being this paranoid about them?

Old 03-19-2009, 06:49 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
Scorpions are very numerous wherever new homes were built in orange groves like the north Phoenix area. Scorpions like living in the vertical support columns of block walls. If your house has French doors I guarantee you will have scorpions inside. There is a native scorpion which is a loner and a bark scorpion that hitched a ride in Queen Palms years ago. Bark scorpions tend to cluster together and are very dangerous because they like being underneath objects facing up so you don't see them if you pick up a piece of wood or blanket.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:02 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
If you saw 12 scorpion in 8 months I don't think the apartment complex was spraying for bugs because that just seems ridiculous. Good thing you never were stung, but I would have totally been upset with the apartment people.
Exactly, that has more to do with the apartment not spraying as opposed to a scorpion issue.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:09 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie53 View Post
I've lived here for many years and have seen three scorpions. One was in our home in Fountain Hills, one was in the apartment we had in the desert and one was heading toward the pool in our backyard in Scottsdale.

I'm living back in the home I grew up in near Christown, and I've never seen one here. This house has been in my family for fifty five years, and no one has ever seen a scorpion here. I've asked neighbors, and they haven't seen any around here, either. So far, so good.
You have hit the nail on the head. If you live near natural terrain (mountains, desert) you are going to see them. If you live in the urban areas away from those areas, you shouldn't see them unless your place is run down or not sprayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area