Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,893,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the bolder. Therefore, I dont like it here. I dont like the oppressive heat, dryness, pollution, having the 4th worst job market in the country, and inflated cost of living (considering the extremely few jobs available), too many cars on the road and often the people. Since my arrival in the Valley I've grown to dislike large cities with a passion--not just Phoenix--and cant wait to get outta here.
This is about liking Phoenix...what brought you to Phoenix, other than the job of course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 11:07 AM

1,553 posts, read 3,657,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
This is about liking Phoenix...what brought you to Phoenix, other than the job of course
Yes...... And it isn't exclusively Phoenix. I'm looking at moving someplace. It could be in town or it could be a little farther out. What I would like to know is what excites people about the general area. Not just the "big city"...
While I don't yet live there, some of the things I already like are the proximity to everything.
For example, go north and you're into the mountains, farther north and you're at Lake Powell with awesome fishing and beautiful vistas, go east and you're at beautiful desert lakes, go farther east and you're viewing one of the most spectacular features on the planet..... the Grand Canyon, go south and you're visiting another country, another culture, go west and you're at a warm tropical beach, go northeast and you're at the gaming capital of the world and all of this in less than a days drive, some of this is just a couple hours away. Lots of places to go, to see with plenty of things to do.
Yes it can be hot but get thru a few months of "oppressive heat" and the rest of the year is beautiful and comfortable weather. I can't complain about that.
The way I look at it? Nowhere is perfect. Here in Oregon, we have arguably the most perfect summers anywhere but it only lasts about 2 months. 3 on a good year. After that, it's extremely high winds and cold, driving rains for the rest of the year. We don't see the sun for 9 months of the year. It's very hard to enjoy the beauty of everything Oregon has to offer when it's pouring rain, 50 mph winds and average high temps on the coast during winter being in the high 40's. Rain is NOT fun for that long and if it's that COLD. Just to give you a clue, the little town I live in AVERAGES 119 inches of rain per year. No typo, 119 inches. It's a muddy, gooey mess when you get that much rain.
At least in the Phoenix area, the weather is comfortable and warm for most of the year. Hot for a few months but get thru that, and it's life as usual. Kids playing outside, people taking walks, folks going out and doing things. I like the sound of that.
So lets here more of your "good stuff".......

Last edited by maverick974; 11-23-2009 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 11-23-2009, 11:29 AM

570 posts, read 1,756,285 times
The weather mid Nov - mid Apr.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:19 PM

234 posts, read 720,432 times
If you have any friends or family in the LA area, I know people down there (SoCal) who have friends and family in Phoenix, and sometimes they leave for the weekend to go visit each other. Apparently it's not too far of a drive! So that sounds like a plus - the fact that you can take a road trip on your days off to places like LA (or wherever in SoCal), Las Vegas, or if you want a "cool" weekend getaway Flagstaff isn't too far at all.

I currently live in Fairbanks, Alaska, 400 miles North of Anchorage. I wish I had the luxury of living in such close proximity to other cities/states. I think Phoenix is in a great central location.

If I move there I am considering living in a smaller town nearby, and working in one of the larger towns. I don't want to live IN a big city, I want to see the beauty of the desert without it being blocked out by buildings.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:50 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,035,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak.nessa View Post
If you have any friends or family in the LA area, I know people down there (SoCal) who have friends and family in Phoenix, and sometimes they leave for the weekend to go visit each other. Apparently it's not too far of a drive! So that sounds like a plus - the fact that you can take a road trip on your days off to places like LA (or wherever in SoCal), Las Vegas, or if you want a "cool" weekend getaway Flagstaff isn't too far at all.

I currently live in Fairbanks, Alaska, 400 miles North of Anchorage. I wish I had the luxury of living in such close proximity to other cities/states. I think Phoenix is in a great central location.

If I move there I am considering living in a smaller town nearby, and working in one of the larger towns. I don't want to live IN a big city, I want to see the beauty of the desert without it being blocked out by buildings.
What I like besides the "big city" is the state of Arizona. I like the heat but I also love the white stuff and skiing, snowboarding. If you want a different vista for a day, weekend, etc you don't have to go far. This state has such bio diversity you can get lost just exploring those environments. We even have stretches of semi-arid tundra and pockets of alpine/"arctic" tundra similar to what is found in Alaska in the high plateaus around Flagstaff and the White Mountains; I am still shocked at what I find in Arizona.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:30 AM

8 posts, read 23,592 times
Cannot agree more! good luck to you ! I have to revise my post slighlty though, Eugene Oregon has arguably the greatest Summer weather in the world!!! Unbelievably beautiful and Idylic, but that 3 aint enough to keep me, I still long for phoenix where I spent July- January (albeit July through Sep never got below 96! lol) I still think the tradeoff is in the desert's favor!!!! I loved the desert! can I make it back? God only knows I guess?

Old 11-24-2009, 05:47 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,199,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davided Out View Post
Cannot agree more! good luck to you ! I have to revise my post slighlty though, Eugene Oregon has arguably the greatest Summer weather in the world!!! Unbelievably beautiful and Idylic, but that 3 aint enough to keep me, I still long for phoenix where I spent July- January (albeit July through Sep never got below 96! lol) I still think the tradeoff is in the desert's favor!!!! I loved the desert! can I make it back? God only knows I guess?
Having lived in both Springfield (January-August 1990) as well as Arizona; I know exactly of what you speak of

Old 11-24-2009, 04:52 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,657,309 times
Yes, Oregon is way cool. Absolutely beautiful. When the weather is good, it's just this side of heaven. Unfortunately the price to pay in the fall, winter and spring is far to high for the short summers.
Actually I'm kind of lucky. With the business I'll be in, it will allow me to come back to Oregon for a month or two during the summertime so if all works out, I'll have the best of both worlds.
Lets hear more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-27-2009, 04:44 AM

8 posts, read 23,592 times
Oregon is more or less an economic hell hole right now...My brother moved to Scottsdale and it took him a few months to find a job...but it pays decent and so far I think he likes it...I lived in Tempe for about six months...returned to Eugene about two years ago to finish Degree. Sometimes I wish I never left! I guess you always have to take the good and the bad? Obviously if you can save up a little money first before you move that would be a good idea....but the economy SHOULD be improving this next year and with a larger metropolis I think you always get more options...I lived off Rural-Wesleyan area near ASU...no major complaints from me. Good Luck to You!

Old 11-27-2009, 05:57 PM

234 posts, read 720,432 times
My husband and I finished college in Oregon and then realized there were NO JOBS. So we fled up to Alaska where the economy is strong. But surprise surprise we both don't like it here. We prefer hot, dry, sunny climates. Hope to be finding jobs in the Phoenix area soon!!!

Oregon summers are great, but rather humid and mold is a pain in the arse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area