Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 02:54 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,657,309 times

Advertisements

[/quote]
I love the desert colors. Seriously when my sister first moved to Phoenix in the late 80s, I wondered why: Phoenix to me was like what you saw in the Clint Eastwood movies with tumbleweeds and all. I was sort of shocked when I first came here. And it is very green for a desert. And lots of gorgeous colored plants especially when all the cacti bloom (I never knew a cactus would get flowers!).

The roads are a dream compared to back east. [/quote]

Yes, I noticed the colors and the beauty of the desert even when I was a kid. I've always liked the desert but it's been so long since I've been there that I forgot how great it was.
When I was there in December, both my daughter and I had to stop the car a few times just to look at all the fantastic desert views. There were so many colors and when the sun is setting, it just magnifies all the colors.
We were amazed at how far you can see in the desert. It was awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 03:13 PM

39,124 posts, read 51,388,584 times
Those Eastwood movies are filmed in California in the Mojave desert - a wasteland of creosote and rock compared to the more lush deserts of central Arizona. I, too, love the desert. I have never tired of it in the years I have lived here.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,848 times
Personally I love all the things there are to do. You get a lot of people complaining about the heat, the culture, the lack of highrises or whatever else but the truth is there is more to do than a lot of cities have and becuase of the relatively great weather you can do things outdoors most of the year, other than July and August, although I have to see even July this city has a MASSIVE turnout for 4th of July at Tempe Beach Park and Indian School Park. So we'll still get out in the heat, just not during the middle of the day.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:41 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,657,309 times
I'm looking forward to so many things to do. Currently I live in a small town of about 500 people and there is NOTHING to do except sit in the local bar. Even when it's not raining, there isn't much to do except go fishing or hiking. It would be nice to show my daughter a little culture, a little diversity. A ball game, seeing a Broadway style show, going to dinner at a fine eatery, etc......
Personally, I am an avid fisherman and I own a bass boat. I fondly remember on the lakes near Apple Valley California so many years ago when it was as hot as heck, being on a boat and jumping in the water. It felt great. It isn't that way in Oregon. It's almost always cold so jumping in the water doesn't have the same effect. lol.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,454 times
Thanks for the info you gave regarding living in Phoenix. I grew up in Los Angeles, moved to Salt Lake City (skiing, mtn. biking etc) and as I am the same age as you, life, interests, and diversity has changed. I too am a weather monger...and your blurb
encouraged my restlessness for change and diversity

Old 04-25-2009, 10:46 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,505,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Those Eastwood movies are filmed in California in the Mojave desert - a wasteland of creosote and rock compared to the more lush deserts of central Arizona. I, too, love the desert. I have never tired of it in the years I have lived here.
Aye. Indeed the desert is a strange, interesting and lovely place to spend time in (especially from November until April). Im constantly drawn to it, too.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:22 PM

82 posts, read 210,789 times
So, Maverick, when are you coming out already?

Old 04-25-2009, 06:02 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,216,681 times
So checking on a map I see where the Mojave dessert is. So that explains why the drive to Vegas is totally a bore and Vegas looks far more "desserty rocky tumbleweed-y" than Phoenix-it is part of the Mojave rather than the Sonoran. Tho the Joshua Trees are way cool-I really liked those, they are very pretty in a unique sort of way.

Here in Phoenix your daughter could get numerous seasons in one day. Say about sometime in March (this past March was unusually nice!) go to a spring training baseball game. Then head a couple hours north and see the snow! I think it was last year or the year before when the areas up north had a fairly large snowfall on MEMORIAL DAY in the end of May lol! One of the guys I work with has a cabin up there and we were watching the snow on a live webcam while it was somewhere in the 70s or 80s here. Come back home and if it is one of the nicer days-dine outdoors, take in a show, and cap it off with an evening in the hot tub. Paradise. ;-)

And you'll find 500 people in any good sized parking lot here at the right time of the day lol!

Old 04-25-2009, 09:03 PM

963 posts, read 2,305,665 times
Default What I Like About Phoenix

http://abqstyle.com/linked/papago_7.jpg (broken link)

The sunsets are spectacular in Phoenix. A woman who was a stewardess for years said that the sunsets here can compete with Hawaii in quality. I believe that after being here for close to two years. Compared to New York, the cost of living os reasonable and you get alot for the money when it comes to real estate. Plus I am smack dab in the middle of some of the most interesting terrain in the world! Arizona, New Mexico, Calfornia, Nevada, are my playground!

The photo above shows a sunset in Papago Park, Phoenix, Arizona. Yes, they are that colorful!

AbqStyle Arizona & New Mexico Photography Blog

Old 04-25-2009, 10:33 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,579,301 times
I probably posted on this thread before but here's another take.

What I like about Phoenix is the people, not the government, and not the state government. The people are libertarian and the government is certainly statist. It is intrusive well beyond protecting people from crimes.

Get local, state, and federal government out of our bedrooms, out of our homes, and out of our wallets.

Last edited by Howard Roark; 04-25-2009 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: too harsh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area