Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:51 PM

1,553 posts, read 3,654,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2AZSusan View Post
So, Maverick, when are you coming out already?
Thanks for asking.
I'm coming as soon as I'm able. lol.
Seriously, I have my home for sale. Once we get an accpeptable offer, I'll be down to buy a house. In the meantime, I'll probably be down there in late May or early June to look around again.
No matter what most everyone says about the heat, I'll enjoy it I'm sure. Here on the Oregon coast, in May it will still be only in the mid 50's typically so I'll be glad to break a sweat in your 90 to 100 degree temps.
Can't wait.
As an added bonus, my daughter now has her drivers permit which allows her to drive while I'm in the car with her. If I go in June, she will be driving so she can get some experience although I'll probably drive thru downtown.
Give us some sun, some heat and a pool or a lake and we will definately be happy campers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 08:19 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,493,041 times
If you drive down through Nevada, LOTS of driving practice between Vegas and Reno. My older sister and brother got a lot of practice there on our trips between here and Corvallis.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:10 AM

1,553 posts, read 3,654,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
If you drive down through Nevada, LOTS of driving practice between Vegas and Reno. My older sister and brother got a lot of practice there on our trips between here and Corvallis.
We will probably drive down thru Southern California as my brothers family is there but my daughter will still get lots of driving time in for sure. When we drove down there in December, my daughter drove most of the way into California, we visited my sister in law for a few days and then my daughter drove most of the way to Phoenix and most of the way back. She got lots of time behind the wheel. An hour or so before we got to Phoenix, my daughter wanted me to drive so she could take pictures of the desert, the mountains and of course, all the cactus. She thought that was cool.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:15 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,481,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqstyle View Post

The sunsets are spectacular in Phoenix. A woman who was a stewardess for years said that the sunsets here can compete with Hawaii in quality. I believe that after being here for close to two years. Compared to New York, the cost of living os reasonable and you get alot for the money when it comes to real estate. Plus I am smack dab in the middle of some of the most interesting terrain in the world! Arizona, New Mexico, Calfornia, Nevada, are my playground!

The photo above shows a sunset in Papago Park, Phoenix, Arizona. Yes, they are that colorful!

AbqStyle Arizona & New Mexico Photography Blog
I think you posted the wrong pic? I dont see any sunset, but instead a dusty "park" with a few palm trees and gray, gloomy skies?

Last edited by Steve-o; 04-26-2009 at 09:27 AM..

Old 04-26-2009, 10:18 AM

963 posts, read 2,304,906 times
Default Dusty park, gloomy skies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I think you posted the wrong pic? I dont see any sunset, but instead a dusty "park" with a few palm trees and gray, gloomy skies?
http://abqstyle.com/linked/papago_7.jpg (broken link)

If all you see in this pic is a dusty park and gloomy skies then you may not appreciate Phoenix. This is the beautiful red soil of Papago Park. Its' red rock buttes and rocky terrain have a beauty of their own. As a former New Yorker, it took a bit of adjustment for me to realize that all parks must not have wall to wall grass to qualify as a park. The desert has its own look and flora. I've learned to appreciate it for what it is.

Gloomy skies? In the desert, storm clouds are actually a welcome sight. They are a pleasant relief from the relentlessly sunny days and can add color and drama to a sunset. When it rains in Phoenix, I go on the balcony with a cold one and some chips to enjoy the show.

AbqStyle Arizona & New Mexico Photography Blog

Old 04-26-2009, 11:42 AM

82 posts, read 210,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqstyle View Post

When it rains in Phoenix, I go on the balcony with a cold one and some chips to enjoy the show.
A cold one what? Ice cream?

Old 04-26-2009, 11:47 AM

82 posts, read 210,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
As an added bonus, my daughter now has her drivers permit which allows her to drive while I'm in the car with her. If I go in June, she will be driving so she can get some experience although I'll probably drive thru downtown.
As a mom who recently taught two daughters to drive in Phoenix, I feel your pain. It's kind of a tough place to learn to drive because there are a lot of people who drive way too fast here. So yes, YOU drive through downtown for now! But it's fine once they learn. And driving from there to here will be good experience for her.

But I think you will love it. Just the other day I overheard two "transplants" talking about how they did not think they would get used to it here but the desert just "pulled them in" and now they absolutely love it. And your daughter already thinks the cactus is cool so you are ahead of the game!
Please let us know how it all goes for you!

Old 04-26-2009, 06:04 PM

77 posts, read 276,780 times
I moved here last July from Virginia, and I am still having a hard time adjusting to living on the West coast. It is a daily struggle. I guess mostly because of family and friends being back on the east coast. But I really enjoyed the great weather this winter, and there is nothing like an Arizona sunset. We got a ranger to go out on trails with, and the desert is beautiful when you get back 20-30 miles on the trails. I think I would feel better if I had some family here though. I am not sure how long it will take, if at all, to feel like this is "home".

Old 04-26-2009, 06:11 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,186,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keehome View Post
I moved here last July from Virginia, and I am still having a hard time adjusting to living on the West coast. It is a daily struggle. I guess mostly because of family and friends being back on the east coast. But I really enjoyed the great weather this winter, and there is nothing like an Arizona sunset. We got a ranger to go out on trails with, and the desert is beautiful when you get back 20-30 miles on the trails. I think I would feel better if I had some family here though. I am not sure how long it will take, if at all, to feel like this is "home".
That can make it or break it for a person living away from 'home'.

I too am from the Wash DC/NoVa area (born/raised); but, since I did not care for living there (long story)............I am more at peace living here in the west.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:32 PM

77 posts, read 276,780 times
My sister came out to visit before Christmas, and I remember how at peace I felt then. I am glad to know someone is from there! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area