Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:57 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,644,336 times

Advertisements

I currently live on the Oregon coast but I'm planning on moving to the Phoenix area when my home sells here.
A little background on me...
I'm 49, widowed and raising a 15 year old daughter. I'm not dating anyone currently although I hope that will change.
There is little work here in Oregon so when I move, I'll open my own business. Also, I'll be buying a home cash so I won't have any mortgage and I'll have absolutely ZERO debt and that includes opening my business. I'll be starting new.
I'm originally from So. California in Garden Grove, I lived for a few years in the Apple Valley area before moving to Oregon.
I spent my summers as a kid on a ranch in Wickenburg but that was a long time ago.
Anyway, my time in Oregon has run its course and it's time to go.
I have done a lot of research as to where I'd like to move and after a lot of searching on the net, it seemed like the Phoenix area met all of my requirements. It's central to everything that I'm interested in, the housing in certainly cheap enough, the weather is nice most of the time (yes, I know it's HOT during the summers), an avid fisherman, I like all the lakes close by and with the business I'll be starting, I'll need to go to Tucson a few times a month. Phoenix, at least on paper, seems like it would be perfect for my daughter and I.
Once I did all my research, I visited your city during Christmas and I loved it. I thought the east side would be good with it's proximity to Tucson and all the lakes. I though Gilbert and Chandler were nice but I loved the Queen Creek area.
I did check out the west valley a little bit and it felt a little too big for my tastes. Kind of like being in Orange County California. Nice but a bit crowded for me. I ended up looking around Queen Creek, Chandler and Gilbert for about a week. I liked the open spaces.
Now for my question....
Research on the internet and spending a few days in an area just doesn't give my enough information. I'd like to know what do you people like about living there. What holds you there and what do you love about the place???
There really isn't any way to know for sure if I'll like the place unless I spend some time there and that just isn't possible until my place sells so I want to know your take on it. I know I'll love the weather most of the time, I'll like all the fishing and I'll love any home I buy considering our home now.
So there you go... Now you know about me...I just want to know what you LIKE about living there.
I've watched and participated in this forum for some time now and I'm hoping this will be a positive thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 08:28 PM

559 posts, read 1,463,904 times
Love the area and surrounding areas, like riding quads in an desert, and a hour later be in a forest fishing at a secluded stream. Love all the Mexican food, and the people. Love the sunsets and natural beauty.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:33 PM

587 posts, read 1,419,844 times
Love the dry climate, love the mountains, love our church and love that there are some very awesome places with different climates within driving distance.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:40 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,637 times
okidoke. First, I have a sister who lived in Phoenix for two years, could not stand it, and moved to Hillsboro, Oregon. We lived in Roseburg in the 1960s.

Second, you visited in a cool month. You lived in Oregon for how-many-years? You are used to 50 degree or 60 degree temps in summer.

I strongly recommend you spend one week in Phoenix in late July. Okay, take your kid and stay at a luxury resort - cheap because it's in the off season. Since you are familiar with the southeast, I recommend the resorts there. South Mountain area.

Next, I LOVE Arizona in the summer because I have long been a weather freak. When we get the heavy rains from the monsoon, I love to watch the clouds build up. At best, that's when I am in a fine restaurant with a large window and drinking my favorite beer...

I'm also 49 and will be 50 in May. The women in Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, and so on are down-to-earth, so you will be happy about that. Watch out for the North Scottsdale/Paradise Valley ones though! Best advice: understate your income and you will be fine. I've been ripped off before by golddiggers.

I work in Los Angeles and have used Phoenix as my permanent address since 2000. I worked in Phoenix for 36 months since August of 2000, but I was in Phoenix long enough to know how to thrive.

Summer: Hot. But the locals seem to still go to the best restaurants. Some take advantage of cheap golf at the best resorts and brave the 115 degree temps. I crave the fine dining. Yes, there are Ruth's Chris steakhouse restaurants. I have my fave's. I love to think that all the snowbirds are gone and now the only ones left are the ones who WANT to be in Phoenix. Friendlier times. Less traffic.

There are a lot of LA Fitness places so that you can work out in air-conditioned comfort from 4:30 am to 10pm or so all over the "Valley."

In my best reminisce, I like to think of the one time I drove south on the 101 freeway one hot summer monsoon evening. I passed 3 motorcyclists who were on the shoulder at the left side going south through Scottsdale or Tempe. There was a gorgeous fiery sunset of the type you would want in Sedona. 3.4 million other people at once were also marveling at this sunset. It was partly cloudy of course. The motorcyclists were obviously pretending some mechanical problem so that they could enjoy such beauty.

A new Phoenix rises from the ashes.

Last edited by Howard Roark; 04-12-2009 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: corrected mispelling to make it more clear

Old 04-12-2009, 08:54 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,644,336 times
Yes, when I was there during Christmas I marveled at the fantastic sunsets. Every day it was a new experience. I had taken my daughter to So. California to visit relatives but I was so enthralled with Phoenix that I drove back to Cali and we both drove back to Phoenix the next day. We pulled over on some side roads just to enjoy the sunsets. It was a very cool thing to witness with my daughter.
As far as the women and my income??? Believe me, I won't have to "understate" anything.lol.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:54 PM

88 posts, read 251,859 times
I enjoyed the winter. Although, shorts on Christmas will still take getting used to.

I like when the monsoon clouds build up and all the thunder and lightning in summer. I look forward to actually getting a full summer of it this year.

I like how absolutely pretty things get once you leave Phoenix and get out into more isolated areas.

I love renting a tiny, crappy boat from the marina at Canyon lake, parking it near a cliff and sitting there waiting to catch a fish all day.

Spring training is also cool, but my team is in the Grapefruit league, so I have to settle for inferior midwest and west coast teams. Still $10 for baseball ain't bad.

None of the above hold me here, but they do help.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:16 PM

307 posts, read 954,002 times
Cool Phoenix

Phoenix seems easy-going most of the time...

The weather is predictable, so of course make a dozen or so plans!

If you want the ocean, it is inexpensive to head to the West Coast...

If you want mountains, pine trees, wildflowered-green and wide-open spaces - Arizona has those within easy "striking-distance"!

Overall, Phoenix is easy to "get-along-with"; even in the hot summer months...

Old 04-13-2009, 05:07 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
it's a fairly laid back city

the sunsets, natural beauty, diversity of the state, etc are great

i love being able to hike through the mountains, etc

i like never having to worry about making plans and having a "bad weather alternative"

monsoon storms are neat

love spring training and all the sports activities

love the amount of theater, comedy, music venues

like how many parks there are in the metro

really like how my city provides fun activities for it's residents

lots of really good food options

although I would never think of wearing shorts during christmas as it's now too cold, the winter weather far from sucks

Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 PM

267 posts, read 885,124 times
I moved here from L.A., twice. Long story.

I love Phoenix. It's a big city, but you don't get lost in it like you do in a place like L.A. or NYC.

I love that most of it is newer. I love the lanscaping. I love desert sunsets, warm summer nights, the smell of the desert when it rains, and the awesome monsoons that come in the late summer.

I also love that it's just an 1.5 hour drive north to a cooler climate with green pine trees and snow in the winter! Sedona is a wonderful weekend getaway!

I like the food here, I've found lots of great places to eat.

I also like the mountains, hiking, and outdoor activities that are all around the valley and it's outskirts.

There's so much more, but those are the reasons off the top of my head!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:40 PM

70 posts, read 211,275 times
Sunshine! Lots and lots of sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area