Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:20 AM

1,112 posts, read 4,004,750 times

Advertisements

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone refer to the west valley as more crowded than the east.

Hmm, in all honesty. I don't care for the Phoenix area, myself. The thing I like is being in Arizona.
Amazing state, with a ton to do. Phoenix just helps put me in the middle of it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:57 AM

1,553 posts, read 3,654,093 times
All I can say is that I know for a fact that I'll enjoy it there for at least 8 months a year. I've always loved warm weather but here in Oregon, it's cold and rainy for 10 months a year.
I look at it this way. I'm stuck in my house getting out of the cold rain for 10 months a year. In Arizona, I might huddle inside to get out of the heat for 3, maybe 4 months a year. It's a favorable trade of to me.
When I was visiting in January, I couldn't get over all the parks, the ponds, the hiking trails, and the warm weather. I originally was going to fly down but all the airports in the northwest were closed because of an ice storm so I ended up driving down. It was 18 degrees with freezing rain when I left. I got to Phoenix 2 days later and it was 72.
As I'm writing this, it's SNOWING here. It won't stick as it is supposed to warm up a bit but my point is it's the middle of April and we will be stuck inside for about another 2 or 3 months before we start to enjoy the outdoors and the beauty that Oregon offers. In Arizona, I can enjoy the outdoors virtually 12 months a year.
I will love the fact that in Phoenix, I can drive a few hours and be in so many different climates. A few hours drive and I'm in the mountains, the beaches of So. Cal, the excitement and shows of Las Vegas, the scenic beauty of the Grand Canyon. Just so much to do and see.
I'm sure there will be things I don't care for but I'm guessing the good will outweigh the bad.
Being an avid fisherman, I can't wait to check out all the lakes in the middle of the desert.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:12 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,183,508 times
To the OP: since you appear to be financially independent; you may wish to consider the Verde Valley or even Prescott. Their winters are cooler/colder than here but the summers are definitely more pleasant.

As for the Phx area: the other posters here summed it up quite nicely.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:05 AM

Actually no, I'm far from "financially independent". When my wife got in her car accident, the accident that eventually cost her life, I lost EVERYTHING including our house we had worked hard to pay off. I had to start from scratch. It's a long story that I won't bore everyone with but lets just say that I had to start completely over. Even a new line of work.
I was lucky to have bought my home in Oregon when it was just a hick place to live and it grew within just a couple of years to be a retirement mecca. The value of my home skyrocketed in a very short period of time.
I owe almost nothing on it so when it sells, I'll be able to buy a moderate home and open a small business but other than that, I'm a working stiff like most anyone else.
So with that said, I have chosen the east valley because of it's proximity to the lakes and also the shorter drive to Tucson where I'll need to go several times a month for my business.
I'd love to be able to buy a home in one of the more affluent areas but that isn't a financial option so I'm looking in Queen Creek, Chandler and Gilbert areas.
Anyway, when I drove thru Phoenix, personally I thought it was a very clean town although I did see a few not so desirable areas but mostly good areas. I didn't see graffiti on all the overpasses like I do in the larger cities here in Oregon and even California.
I am looking forward to the warm weather but if it gets too hellish during the summer and I can't handle it, my business would allow me to go to Oregon for a month or two and still make a living. It's possible I can have the best of both worlds. There is nothing finer than the few weeks that Oregon has a summer. I can leave the rest of the year to the diehards.
I don't know if I can pull it off but either way, I'm not worried about the heat of the summers in Phoenix. I used to live not far from Barstow so I am familiar with the heat.

Last edited by maverick974; 04-14-2009 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Added a comment

Old 04-14-2009, 02:09 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,035,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Actually no, I'm far from "financially independent". When my wife got in her car accident, the accident that eventually cost her life, I lost EVERYTHING including our house we had worked hard to pay off. I had to start from scratch. It's a long story that I won't bore everyone with but lets just say that I had to start completely over. Even a new line of work.
I was lucky to have bought my home in Oregon when it was just a hick place to live and it grew within just a couple of years to be a retirement mecca. The value of my home skyrocketed in a very short period of time.
I owe almost nothing on it so when it sells, I'll be able to buy a moderate home and open a small business but other than that, I'm a working stiff like most anyone else.
So with that said, I have chosen the east valley because of it's proximity to the lakes and also the shorter drive to Tucson where I'll need to go several times a month for my business.
I'd love to be able to buy a home in one of the more affluent areas but that isn't a financial option so I'm looking in Queen Creek, Chandler and Gilbert areas.
Anyway, when I drove thru Phoenix, personally I thought it was a very clean town although I did see a few not so desirable areas but mostly good areas. I didn't see graffiti on all the overpasses like I do in the larger cities here in Oregon and even California.
I am looking forward to the warm weather but if it gets too hellish during the summer and I can't handle it, my business would allow me to go to Oregon for a month or two and still make a living. It's possible I can have the best of both worlds. There is nothing finer than the few weeks that Oregon has a summer. I can leave the rest of the year to the diehards.
I don't know if I can pull it off but either way, I'm not worried about the heat of the summers in Phoenix. I used to live not far from Barstow so I am familiar with the heat.
I'm so sorry to hear about your wife.

I lived on the Oregon Coast for a little while (after being raised in Phx, working in LA for career reasons). While it was beautiful (the trilliums in the forest by the beach)....I didn't care for the cold and rain, but really I didn't care for the class divisions in the "tourist" town I'd bought property in. Don't get me wrong, the house was on a bluff over the ocean and so beautiful, the town was cute...but a lot of people were in financial straights and it just didn't feel so good to me. It was a pretty stark division.

Anyway, why don't you just live in Tucson? I really like Phx...but if you already have business down there.... Also, if you are not turned off to "little" towns have you looked at Marana (sp?) I think it is a VERY good investment and not that far from Tucson.

Anyway...with a 15 yr old you may be looking for more typical, sub-urban housing. Any of the suburbs you mentioned are fine. I would check out the city data school data and then look accordingly at the best school districts.

Too bad Cave Creek is too far for you. I think it would be you and your kids cup-of-tea. Beautiful country, not to far from fancy Scottsdale, good schools, lakes near, lots of outdoor stuff....Problem is it is an hour farther from Tucson. Although a lot of the area is pricey...you can still get a deal up here. Let me know if you want more info.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the info. I appreciate any information I can get. Where in Oregon did you live??? I'm near Florence between Coos Bay and Newport.
The reason I have settled on the Phoenix area is because I'll also be going to Skyharbor at least as many times as I do Tucson so it really doesn't matter. Tucson, Phoenix or anyplace in between but since I'll probably be going to the lakes more than I'll need to go to Tucson or the airport, I figured the east valley would be the place to be. Florence might even work.
Nothing is written in stone though. I'm still open to any ideas.
Sorry I got off topic a bit so lets get back to what everyone likes about Phoenix and living in the desert.......................................

Old 04-14-2009, 05:41 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,035,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Thanks for the info. I appreciate any information I can get. Where in Oregon did you live??? I'm near Florence between Coos Bay and Newport.
The reason I have settled on the Phoenix area is because I'll also be going to Skyharbor at least as many times as I do Tucson so it really doesn't matter. Tucson, Phoenix or anyplace in between but since I'll probably be going to the lakes more than I'll need to go to Tucson or the airport, I figured the east valley would be the place to be. Florence might even work.
Nothing is written in stone though. I'm still open to any ideas.
Sorry I got off topic a bit so lets get back to what everyone likes about Phoenix and living in the desert.......................................
I had a house in Newport.

If you have to do Skyharbor and Tucson every week...you should live in Phx. NOT NORTH OR N/E OR WEST PHX areas.

Look into Phx or the suburbs to the east...as you have Mesa/Tempe/Chandler.

Maybe Awatukee? Be careful of the south Phx/west Phx area. JMHO.

You can pick up a nice new house for a song in Maricopa. Please do a lot of research about this...just an idea if you are looking for a bargain. Maricopa has a load of problems, but it is interesting in this market. Dirt cheap.

Yes... let's get back to your topic...what everyone likes about Phx and the desert.

I'm loving the butterflies and gold mining and 4 wheeling and kite flying.....my husband likes target shooting in the desert.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:54 PM

82 posts, read 210,711 times
I moved here from New Jersey in 1997 and would never go back. There are so many things to love; the weather, the beauty, the cleanliness, the cost of living, the people. So many that I now write an online column for transplants to Phoenix about all the things I love, and also all the things one needs to get used to. There are always adjustments to moving to any new area, but most of them here versus New Jersey are pleasant ones.
But I would have to say my #1 favorite part of living here is the friendliness of the people. I have heard and read many people say the opposite but I don't know what they are talking about. I find the people here so nice and welcoming and HAPPY. If you want to read the column I dedicated to the chattiness of strangers here, you can click:
http://www.examiner.com/x-4463-Trans...k-to-strangers

And from there you can read any of the other columns if you wish.
Good luck!

Last edited by NJ2AZSusan; 04-14-2009 at 09:02 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 10:45 PM

768 posts, read 1,762,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2AZSusan View Post
I moved here from New Jersey in 1997 and would never go back. There are so many things to love; the weather, the beauty, the cleanliness, the cost of living, the people. So many that I now write an online column for transplants to Phoenix about all the things I love, and also all the things one needs to get used to. There are always adjustments to moving to any new area, but most of them here versus New Jersey are pleasant ones.
But I would have to say my #1 favorite part of living here is the friendliness of the people. I have heard and read many people say the opposite but I don't know what they are talking about. I find the people here so nice and welcoming and HAPPY. If you want to read the column I dedicated to the chattiness of strangers here, you can click:
http://www.examiner.com/x-4463-Transplants-To-Phoenix-Examiner~y2009m3d2-Do-talk-to-strangers

And from there you can read any of the other columns if you wish.
Good luck!

Great article but also sad for all those east coasters born and breed in silence. We have been in AZ for many years and have found most people fairly friendly. When our out-of-state family visits, they always comment on how unsocial folks in AZ are.

I have to constantly remind them that being from the south - the real magnolia, sweet tea drinking south puts us on another planet when it comes to being social. We all grew up and have lived in towns and cities where people do not transplant to or from - or at least not for very long. Everybody you know knows your family, your in-laws, their families, cousins three or four times removed. Everyone knows everyone's business - related or not. Sometimes that can be a not so good thing

Like a recent AZ transplant told me yesterday - "Phoenix is a great place to re-invent yourself - nobody knows anybody and everyone's past is 15 minutes long" So true...lol.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:56 AM

82 posts, read 210,711 times
Cary,
I agree that many people come here to reinvent themselves, or escape their past. I think that's why so many people thought we were in witness protection when we first moved here because we have an Italian last name and were from NJ...LOL!

And yes, if your family is originally from the south, that is a whole different situation. The opinion of friendliness levels here in AZ seems to vary depending on your reference point.

But I will stand by my belief that compared to the NY/NJ area, people here are incredibly friendly!

Susan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area