Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:20 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
So how do they get there? Fly?

What does a doctor have to do with how many children you supervise. I'm not following your post at all.

20yrsinBranson
I get it!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 09:05 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Ah, now that I read it again, so do I. And I haven't had any coffee yet.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Esoteric,
you make some good points, but isn't it true that HOA's require unanimous vote to change their rules? Whereas, a city or town is run by majority rule and it's a little easier to change things.

So even if a city is backlogged and kind of incompetent, I think I'd still prefer that over the HOA which seems a little too dictatorial.
Actually in my hoa the majority rules as well. We can change any CC&R guide line by the majority, only 2/3 are needed and you don't even need a vote just a signature from the homeowners, but we still have abide state stautes on that as well.

I don't think it is to dictatorial if all we are doing is enforcing the rules that we agreed to whaen buying our homes. We are not making up the rules as we go along (at least not in our HOA any way), only enforcing what is there.

The City may not catch some that put up a building out of code for a few years, but if they receive a complaint or become aware in some way then they can make you tear it down. The difference between the HOAs and the City is that the HOAs may catch something much faster than the City and it just seems like we are looking for it. Right now in Mesa there 150 sq. miles of territory and 4 code inspectors, WOW! I just recently found that not to far away from there was a home that made Sanford and son look spotless, it has been that way for at least 10 yaers that I personally know of and he finally got noticed when a home down the road from him burned down. This was a hazard that even some of the dirtiest would not like and the City just now got to it. That is something I don't want to live around and HOAs definitely prevent that. Thanks for reading and replying to my post.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:33 AM

1 posts, read 912 times
i leased the house but hoa no like the day care leased is one years and wht i do

Old 10-15-2009, 07:28 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
I'm confused. You leased a house and started a day care in it and the HOA objects to the day care?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:47 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,708,176 times
Quote:
What if you didn't even know they were there?

I'd rather have a preschool than an HOA, personally

Why does anyone want HOA's. I can't believe there are so many of them here in libertarian Arizona. My philosophy is, I mind my own business and you mind yours and we'll get along just fine.
I know this is an old thread, but minding your business is different than putting up with a nuisance. If cars were interfering with driveways, or traffic was excessive, the day care created a nuisance. This is a good example of why commercial properties exist, and why areas are zoned as residential.

HOAs are basically the same thing as having a small suburb or community with laws governing what homeowners can and can't do. A lot of the small villages and suburbs back East are essentially exclusive communities that function as an HOA, but instead of governing privately, the same thing is accomplished at the level of local government. Some of the smaller communities have the same number of residents as the big HOA communities out here. Also, not all HOAs are the same. Some are very strict, and others very loose with regulations.

Drive around some non-HOA neighborhoods and eventually you will find some fine examples of why HOAs exist.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:09 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,728,742 times
Quote:
We've been sending our child to a small preschool in the burbs run out of the teacher's house. Originally, she called it "baby sitting" but the HOA is now demanding it be closed, because she's operating a business with a license. There seems to be one angry neighbor who has instigated the whole thing.

So, sure, she may be breaking a rule in the HOA, but come on. A preschool? 6 4-year-olds playing in her back yard? Apparently the neighbor was pissed about the cars parking out front twice a day, and sometimes they even slightly jutted into neighbor's driveway. Actually I can understand--I hate people blocking my driveway. But still. A preschool? It's not like it's a crack house or running a meth lab or some such.

So she's planning to move to some other neighborhood, preferably one without HOA. I'm going to suggest she rent the original house out to a Section 8 family.

Man am I glad we have no HOA around here. We're a little slow about yard upkeep so we'd probably have constant battles. Who needs the stress?
If the CC&Rs she signed when she moved in prohibit running a business or restrict what kind of business, then she is wrong. HOAs have amazing rights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area