Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 07:29 PM

657 posts, read 1,601,623 times

Advertisements

to the coward who left me the rep saying

Quote:
Actually it's worse than that and people like you devalue the properties around them
thanks for upping my rep, but next time, grow a pair and sign your name, child!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,704 times
To be frank, I'm not sure about having a pre-school near me but I'd wait and see if really was becoming a nuisance before starting to *****. The fundamental problem is that HOAs are generally run by power-hungry ignorant neighbors with nothing better to do with their time. I was fined quite a while back for -- believe it or not -- "yelling" at the board president. MY attorney defeated the fine and even forced an apology out of them. But it took a lot of time and effor (fortunately no money as it was pro bono) Find a good attorney; there are plenty of them who hate HOAs

Old 04-18-2009, 07:34 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,737,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well perhaps they'd prefer the person going under financially and the house sitting empty, dropping property values.
Possibly better than living next to a Gaggle of Screaming Rug Rats!

Old 04-18-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
heh.. these days in America, you don't need a daycare for that.. Some people just don't know when to stop having kids, bless their hearts, but that's a different topic for a different flavor thread.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:49 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
you make it sound much worse than it really is.

and for what it's worth, if i wanted to do that to my yard, it's MY yard. if you want me to make my yard aesthetically pleasing to YOUR eye, you are more than welcome to pay my mortgage. Otherwise, mind your own business, or move out of my neighborhood.
Actually, city inspectors take care of a lot of this stuff, in the absence of an HOA. The level of oversight and enforcement varies with the city, but I know, for example. that Tempe is very good at it.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Actually, city inspectors take care of a lot of this stuff, in the absence of an HOA. The level of oversight and enforcement varies with the city, but I know, for example. that Tempe is very good at it.
exactly. and honestly, where i live is considered a "mediocre" side of town, in between the bad and the good sides, and about the worst thing you'll see is a lawn that may have been skipped a week in mowing.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:06 PM

6,713 posts, read 5,958,516 times
Quote:
to the coward who left me the rep saying

thanks for upping my rep, but next time, grow a pair and sign your name, child!
Bosco did that to me, too! Thanks for the rep points, Bosco!

Old 04-18-2009, 08:26 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,534,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Most HOA control freaks are precisely that.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:19 PM

6,713 posts, read 5,958,516 times
Quote:
you make it sound much worse than it really is.

and for what it's worth, if i wanted to do that to my yard, it's MY yard. if you want me to make my yard aesthetically pleasing to YOUR eye, you are more than welcome to pay my mortgage. Otherwise, mind your own business, or move out of my neighborhood.
Exactly. And if you put solar panels on your roof, I'm going to come over and ask who your installer was, not call your HOA!

2-3 years ago the Wall St. Journal reported a retired engineer in Sacramento (?) or somewhere in Calif. installed solar panels on his roof, and got sued by his neighborhood association for violating "aesthetic appearance" rules. It was embarrassing because the neighbors were interviewed saying things like "I'm not against the environment, but we have rules here". The engineer argued that his roof was not visible from the road. I don't know how it turned out. But they sure got some bad publicity out of it.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:13 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,794,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSt View Post
...The fundamental problem is that HOAs are generally run by power-hungry ignorant neighbors with nothing better to do with their time...
That could be the case in some HOA's. There are some bad ones.

On the other hand, the board members are elected to office by the members of the community, and typically there is barely enough votes to make a quorum.

So the HUGE problem with the way HOA's are run (those that are run badly) is community apathy. People don't even take the time to vote for the board members; yet they complain about the way things are run.

And especially people don't take the time to volunteer to work on any committees, or volunteer to be a board members.

They leave it to someone else to do all the work, and all they do is complain when something happens that they don't like.

Go to any board meeting and you'll find the only ones in attendance are the board members, if everything is ok. But let something go wrong in the community and you have members there doing nothing but complaining.

When they complain about something not getting done in the community, and they're asked to volunteer to work on a committee to get something done, the stock answer is "I'm retired, I'm don't work anymore", or "I'm too busy".

So if anyone wants to change the way an HOA is run, the thing to do is volunteer your services to help your community. After all, You are the HOA. The HOA is made up of all the homeowners. So if there is a problem that isn't being taken care of, part of the blame belongs on the shoulder of every member who is not doing their part to make the HOA better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area