Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:14 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Of course many of you may not realize it but if you let one person get away with a business or anything else that violates the CC&R's, then you have a situation that allows everyone to do it therefore nullifying the CC&R's contractual agreement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Nitram has brought up an excellent point, and that is setting precedents.

The HOA is required to enforce the CC&R's. So people have to understand them and live with them, or choose to live in a different community.
Sums it up beautifully, Nitram and Captain Bill.

A Day Care with a few Toddlers today could evolve into a daily Gaggle of Screaming Rug Rats tomorrow with lots of vehicles dropping them off and picking them up. An innocent Piano Lesson once a week today could evolve into a regular Jam Session every evening until Midnight.

What's that old saying . . . IF YOU GIVE 'EM AN INCH, THEY TAKE A MILE?

As a general rule, those individuals who adamantly condemn HOA's and frequently violate the rules are the very same individuals who chose their home based on the results of equally and properly enforced CC&R's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 11:11 AM

657 posts, read 1,599,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sums it up beautifully, Nitram and Captain Bill.

A Day Care with a few Toddlers today could evolve into a daily Gaggle of Screaming Rug Rats tomorrow with lots of vehicles dropping them off and picking them up. An innocent Piano Lesson once a week today could evolve into a regular Jam Session every evening until Midnight.

What's that old saying . . . IF YOU GIVE 'EM AN INCH, THEY TAKE A MILE?

As a general rule, those individuals who adamantly condemn HOA's and frequently violate the rules are the very same individuals who chose their home based on the results of equally and properly enforced CC&R's!
consider me an exception.. I'll condemn HOAs till they are out of existence, but you'll never find me choosing my home in an area ruled (yes, ruled) by one..

Old 04-17-2009, 04:49 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,925,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
consider me an exception.. I'll condemn HOAs till they are out of existence, but you'll never find me choosing my home in an area ruled (yes, ruled) by one..
Me too. I found a decent little house in a quiet neighborhood and I see absolutely no need for an HOA here. That's $100 a month that I don't give to some "manager" to tell me to pick up the pods on my lawn (we do have one of those pod trees, too).

The homes in my neighborhood are pretty well manicured and maintained, some better than others. The neighbors are involved in some renovations and they've had a pretty big pile of bricks in the front yard for several weeks now. Does it bother me? No. Do they bother me? No. We're friends. In fact they were the first and only people to welcome us to the neighborhood.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:32 PM

683 posts, read 2,650,629 times
Quote:
Each time someone gets a violation letter, (say for weeds in the yard) the first thing they do is to look at their neighbors house to see if they can see any weeds. If they do, then they can complain that the neighbor has weeds, so why can't I.
Had an interesting situation here last week. The HOA sent out a few "weed violation" letters last week. This is a new development built by Pulte and they still control the HOA. Funny thing, I cleaned up my weeds, but a week later all the spec homes built by Pulte still have weeds in their yards.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:11 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
Without homeowner's associations homes would have weeds, peeling paint, solar panels all over the roofs, garages converted to another room with cars all over the place including the area that is supposed to be the front yard.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:05 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Without homeowner's associations homes would have weeds, peeling paint, solar panels all over the roofs, garages converted to another room with cars all over the place including the area that is supposed to be the front yard.
In some places, that may be true, in others, it's not. I use my neighborhood as an example, but I'm sure there are other areas that get along fine. My neighborhood would not be considered old, but look at all the older neighborhoods all over town that are really nicely kept and have never had an HOA.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:46 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,774,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
Had an interesting situation here last week. The HOA sent out a few "weed violation" letters last week. This is a new development built by Pulte and they still control the HOA. Funny thing, I cleaned up my weeds, but a week later all the spec homes built by Pulte still have weeds in their yards.
Is it possible that they used post emergent, which takes a little time, instead of pulling the weeds?

This was a bad season for weed control. We had some problems in our common areas and it took a little longer to get rid of them.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:07 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,774,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
In some places, that may be true, in others, it's not. I use my neighborhood as an example, but I'm sure there are other areas that get along fine. My neighborhood would not be considered old, but look at all the older neighborhoods all over town that are really nicely kept and have never had an HOA.
That's very true. I lived in a CA commiunity for 30 years without an HOA and the properties were well maintained.

If we were to look for a home in a non HOA community, we would check the community to see if we are comfortable with what we see in the community. Is there pride of ownership so that the properties are well maintained. Are people overhauling vehicles in the street.

I don't know the history of HOA's, but I do know they are here to stay. The developer sets a theme for the community and the cc&r's are written to maintain that theme and uniformity.

By driving through an HOA community one can see if it fits them. Does it allow RV's; horses; desert landscape, etc. If it fits the individuals lifestyle then they will be comfortable there. If it doesn't fit my lifestyle, then I wouldn't move there.

Where I live in Val Vista Lakes, there is a lush green theme, and I assume the developer wanted it to be an oasis in the desert. Everyone must have grass, trees, plants and some granite. No desert landscape is allowed.

So if one wants desert landscape, this would not be the place to buy. I like desert landscape, and have it in one of my rentals, but I also like the lush green landscape, and living on the water here, I forget that I'm in the middle of the Sonoran Desert.

A neighbor wanted desert landscape and planted some cacti, but had to remove them. He then planted plants and trimmed them in the shape of a cactus. It was a compromise for him. He knew coming in that desert landscape was not allowed. He tried to skirt the rules and it didn't work. He's happy now and is an excellent neighbor.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:15 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Is it possible that they used post emergent, which takes a little time, instead of pulling the weeds?

This was a bad season for weed control. We had some problems in our common areas and it took a little longer to get rid of them.
Isn't that the truth? My yard literally got completely flooded in that storm that closed the 60 last year-- I forget exactly when-- the storm drains could not handle the amount of water coming down from Elliot Road-- and I have had different types of weeds, and very prolific ones (!!!!) ever since. Sometimes I think we need a weed control forum.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:22 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
HOAs will generally require a unlicensed day care facility provide its own fenced yard for a play area, provide proof of insurance, and restrict the number of kids under supervision before giving approval. It's obvious this homeowner was using common grounds and was taking on too many kids for supervision by 1/2 adults. The other issue is whether the day care provider is also taking in retarded kids. Our HOA was sued many years ago when one of these kids took a tumble on the slide and had to go to the hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area