Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,303,022 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Arizona all my life and I know everyone always complains about how bad traffic is here, but I have to add my own complaint to the list.

I cannot believe how many people I see running red lights! It is just so ridiculous and dangerous. And I am not just talking about people turning right on a red light without stopping or even turning left after it goes from yellow to red, but I mean full blown going straight through a red light! I see it all the time and I just can't believe people are in such a rush that they are risking their lives and anothers to make it through a simple light.

In my opinion we need to spend less money adding all those speed cameras on the freeways and more on adding red light running cameras to the top of the street lights.

Anyways, that is my rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 03:34 PM

6,741 posts, read 5,987,891 times
I would be in favor of hiring more traffic cops. It seems like there aren't enough cops in general around here. I haven't yet seen the running the red light thing but I've seen lots of questionable behavior--excessive speeding on the local streets, aggressive tailgating and screaming/cursing when people don't jump out of their way, etc.

This is Arizona, people. Slow down and enjoy life. 20 years of Boston drivers and I'm ready for something more laid back. I was hoping to get it in Phoenix but so far it feels like back East, in a bad way

Old 04-20-2009, 04:16 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,720,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

This is Arizona, people. Slow down and enjoy life. 20 years of Boston drivers and I'm ready for something more laid back. I was hoping to get it in Phoenix but so far it feels like back East, in a bad way
It is all those NYC people moving here.

If you want laid back move to California.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
It is all those NYC people moving here.

If you want laid back move to California.
I thought it was worse in California. I guess it's just gotten bad all over, these days.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:27 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,774,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
I've lived in Arizona all my life and I know everyone always complains about how bad traffic is here, but I have to add my own complaint to the list.

I cannot believe how many people I see running red lights! It is just so ridiculous and dangerous. And I am not just talking about people turning right on a red light without stopping or even turning left after it goes from yellow to red, but I mean full blown going straight through a red light! I see it all the time and I just can't believe people are in such a rush that they are risking their lives and anothers to make it through a simple light.

In my opinion we need to spend less money adding all those speed cameras on the freeways and more on adding red light running cameras to the top of the street lights.

Rant away, TheGirl . . .

The major intersection near my home has had Red Light Cameras for about a year now and DPS is reporting accidents are down by more than 75%.

As someone who passes via that intersection a few times a day, I personally have noticed a significant reduction in accidents, most major and some fatal.

Bottom line . . . The Red Light Cameras work and worth every penny!

Old 04-20-2009, 05:04 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,346,064 times
Quote:

I completely agree and I'm glad you raised this. I personally know someone who died because someone ran a red light and another person whose car was badly damaged because some stupid teenager in Glendale just decided to be aggressive and run a red light. I personally think there should be a red light camera on each intersection. People do slow down and drive differently when they approach an intersection with a red light camera. It also forces people to slow down in general if they are driving on a street with several red light cameras.

I saved my life on one occassion because I always wait 2 or 3 seconds as soon as the light turns green. As a result of my friend dying, I just made that a habit and it's intuitive now. One time, this Escalade was going 70 mph and made no attempt to stop at all. It was late at night and because I paused for those 2 seconds, I was able to see it and stop in time otherwise it would have hit me. Now, I tell everyone to do that. You don't have to gun it as soon as the light turns green. Granted, you don't have to be one of those fools who just sits at the light either but just waiting a few seconds could save your life without irritating the driver behind you.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I would be in favor of hiring more traffic cops. It seems like there aren't enough cops in general around here. I haven't yet seen the running the red light thing but I've seen lots of questionable behavior--excessive speeding on the local streets, aggressive tailgating and screaming/cursing when people don't jump out of their way, etc.

I don't want more cops. I've seen abuse when there are too many cops on the road. In Texas, people would get pulled over for minor incidents such as failing to signal or making an improper turn and I'm not talking about aggressive drivers but normal people who just forgot or were temporarily preocuppied (soccer mom with 5 kids in the backseat). You just didn't enjoy driving there because you always had to be on the lookout for a police officer who was trying to ticket people and meet their months quota. In Arizona, I love how our police don't pull people over petty things and are pretty reasonable in regards to who they pull over.

I'm in favor of more red light cameras. I'm also in favor of speed cameras that are limited to freeways and that are set to reasonable limits such as 65 mph (allowing for 76 mph).

In regards to aggressive drivers, I don't like them either however, I've learned a simple solution to dealing with them..get out of their way. The problem is even safe drivers have pride and they need to lose that. In regards to driving, I have no pride and I favor defensive driving. If someone is on your tail and shouting, switch lanes and let them pass. You will save yourself a lot of stress and keep yourself safe. I've seen people just drive slow in the left lane with an aggressive driver on their tail and I wonder why that safe driver has to make a statement, why can't he just let the fool behind him pass.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
In regards to aggressive drivers, I don't like them either however, I've learned a simple solution to dealing with them..get out of their way. The problem is even safe drivers have pride and they need to lose that. In regards to driving, I have no pride and I favor defensive driving. If someone is on your tail and shouting, switch lanes and let them pass. You will save yourself a lot of stress and keep yourself safe. I've seen people just drive slow in the left lane with an aggressive driver on their tail and I wonder why that safe driver has to make a statement, why can't he just let the fool behind him pass.
I hear what you're saying, and in general I try to move out of people's way, but when I'm in the left lane on Scottsdale Ave. because I need to turn left at the next light, and the idiot behind me is honking and screaming because he thinks it's the high speed passing lane like on a highway, well sorry but I'm not going to get out of his way. What am I supposed to do, pull over until he passes, then get back on the road, and make a U-turn farther down in order to get to my destination? At a certain point you have to just get where you're going and ignore the bullies. Similarly, when I'm slowing down slightly because I'm turning right in 0.1 miles at the major intersection, and the guy bearing down on me at 55 in a 40 zone starts honking and swearing, well, I can't just change lanes at that point, or I'll literally miss my turn. He's going to have to slow down a little, or else change lanes.

I've also noticed that people are more abusive when I'm in a small car than when I'm in a truck or SUV type of vehicle. As though a small car signifies that I'm a nerd they can pick on, sort of like the 97-pound weakling in high school, and a large vehicle is a sign of manly strength and intimidation, like the guy in high school who did a lot of weight lifting.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I hear what you're saying, and in general I try to move out of people's way, but when I'm in the left lane on Scottsdale Ave. because I need to turn left at the next light, and the idiot behind me is honking and screaming because he thinks it's the high speed passing lane like on a highway, well sorry but I'm not going to get out of his way. What am I supposed to do, pull over until he passes, then get back on the road, and make a U-turn farther down in order to get to my destination? At a certain point you have to just get where you're going and ignore the bullies. Similarly, when I'm slowing down slightly because I'm turning right in 0.1 miles at the major intersection, and the guy bearing down on me at 55 in a 40 zone starts honking and swearing, well, I can't just change lanes at that point, or I'll literally miss my turn. He's going to have to slow down a little, or else change lanes.

I've also noticed that people are more abusive when I'm in a small car than when I'm in a truck or SUV type of vehicle. As though a small car signifies that I'm a nerd they can pick on, sort of like the 97-pound weakling in high school, and a large vehicle is a sign of manly strength and intimidation, like the guy in high school who did a lot of weight lifting.
I hear ya and I'm sorry if I came accross as patronizing, it's just I used to lose my temper and get really upset with those guys and since I've adopted that mindset, I never get stressed any longer. And it's completely true about small cars being messed with. I gave my wife my SUV because she drives slower than I do and when she was driving our car, she would get bullied on the freeway. Since she has had the SUV, they don't mess with her. One trick you can do is if someone is on your tail and you are trying to turn right is to turn even more to the right to the point you are hugging the curve, that way the aggressive fool will still pass you but you give him a little room in your lane so that he or she can do it more easily and quickly. This way, they drive past you without threatening to ram you. I know you shouldn't have to do that but it gives me peace of mind.

Have you also noticed that the worst offenders are often guys with big trucks? And it's often the bigger the truck the worse the driver. I swear I've seen big monster trucks and Hummers going 80-90 on the freeway! It's as if they have to let you know that just because their vehicle is big, it's not slow. That was the only nice thing about 4 dollar gas, the number of big trucks on the roads were less visible and/or driving within the speed limit. Yeah, when I see that I too wish there were more cops around because that would be an easy person to pull over.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:23 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,321,314 times
Quote:

Agree about the idiots who run through red lights. There is absolutely no excuse for such reckless driving. Running red lights is dangerous & criminal, and it causes serious accidents. Speeding, on the other hand, is not dangerous in good road/weather conditions ... and there is no direct connection between speed and accidents.

I am in favor of red light cameras to a point ... however, I think some intersections are rigged to where the yellow light is on for a shorter duration, and an additional white line is painted beyond the crosswalk so more citations can be issued. There really should be more police on patrol for traffic matters. Cameras cannot pull over the intoxicated, the inattentive, or check a person's background for any warrants.

Quote:
No, that's incorrect! This is Arizona (land of clear weather most of the time, and generally good roads) ... so it is the perfect place to drive FASTER, not slower. Slow travel should be reserved only for inclement conditons and unsafe roadways. Arizona (at least Phoenix metro area) has very little of those things compared to other regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area